SAU Community

Powder coating wheels

Hey guys

Would like to powder coat my rims as I simply do not like the silver rim part of the wheels. Couple of questions though;

A - Is it possible to just coat a part of the wheel (the rim part)? Or does the powder coating process require to coat the whole wheel? 

B- Is it possible to keep the engraving on the wheels? I like the engraving and I'm worried that once powder coated, the engraving's artefacts will be left behind. 

C- Last question, is it possible to fill in the engravings on the wheel so it keeps a smooth surface? I'll just buy stickers and slap them on afterwards.

Just would like to be in the know , before asking the powder coat shop. Wheels are TE37 Tokyo Time Attack. I've attached pictures so you'll know what I mean. 

Thanks in advance!

20170826_162154.jpg

20180602_193105.jpg

• 1 month later...

You have probably already done this.....the rims would have to be sandblasted before they are powdercoated, they need to be 100% clean with no fingerprints or oil marks.

Any engraving will still be there, powdercoating doesn't fill cavities [unless they lay it on hot, but that's not usual].  Vis a vis all imperfections will also show up, so be sure to prep your wheels before coating.  Sand out and smooth!!! Fill with weld where there are gouges or dents!!!!

You can just get part of the rim powdercoated if that's what you want, but you will have to mask off what you don't want coated.  You would do this after the rims are sandblasted.

If you don't want the engraving, get a sanding disc and sand it smooth.

I also powdercoated my wheel nuts, welded up a 'tree' using bolts ad then threaded the nuts onto them and got them coated.  

Powdercoating will affect threads and interference fits, so mask carefully.  For threads use a bolt, and visa versa.

The masking tape and material  - see your powdercoater, he will give you some, it has to withstand the ovens temperature.

Powdercoating can be CAREFULLY cleaned off parts afterwards with common hardware paint stripper if you get any overspray etc

• 1 month later...

The below is from my personal experience. I had two pairs of LMGT4's that were badly damaged.

1. No, the whole wheel needed to be repaired, sanded and then repainted.

2. Depending on where the engravings are, if it is close to the damaged area then no you will lose them.

3. Not sure what you mean about this last question, but suggest you order genuine stickers and slap them on after repairs.

It won't be cheap and you will need to shop around for quality places that do good sandblasting and powder coating.