SAU Community

Vinyl Carbon Fibre Bonnet

azzafreddy

I'm after a carbon fibre bonnet, just for looks, i have heard they are illegal because carbon fibre is weaker then a standard bonnet meterial, meaning if you were in an accident it would shatter not crumpel, a good mate of mine (signwriter) came to me and said he could put a carbon fibre vinyl cover (sticker) over the original bonnet, said it would look exactly the same, cheaper then all the hastle of getting an actual carbon fibre bonnet including price, shipment of something that size etc.., also this making it completely legal.

only problem is i dont want to be seen as 'fake'

opinions?

EPIC FAIL there is no such thing as a carbon fibre vinyl and it will definatly not look anything like carbon fibre it will look like a stick on fake carbon fibre wich if you like the ricer look and thats what you want to achieve it will be an absoloute success. If you dont want a genuine carbon bonnet just go without in my opinion, But hey each to their own if we all liked the same thing there wouldn't be enough to go around.

Edited by dazmo

Aaron, there is no reason why it can't look good and realistic, firstly, getting it done by a pro will ensure a good job, there are plenty of convincing and very nice looking carbon fibre vinyls around. Further more you can clear coat it in a gloss or a matte clear finish so it isn't too shiny.

Have a bit more of a look if you really do want the cf look without the illegality, its not such a bad option

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VMVjRSMgik...feature=related

Each to their own, its a styling mod that some will like and others wont, but i think if you like it, don't worry about what others think.

Aaron, there is no reason why it can't look good and realistic, firstly, getting it done by a pro will ensure a good job, there are plenty of convincing and very nice looking carbon fibre vinyls around. Further more you can clear coat it in a gloss or a matte clear finish so it isn't too shiny.

Have a bit more of a look if you really do want the cf look without the illegality, its not such a bad option

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VMVjRSMgik...feature=related

Each to their own, its a styling mod that some will like and others wont, but i think if you like it, don't worry about what others think.

yeah, thats what i thought as well, i have a friend who is nearly 10 years in the trade, since finishing his apprenticeship, so i could get him to do it easily, i can absolutely respect what people say about it being fake and not genuine, because im also a big believer in doing things properly.. i would myself rather have a genuine carbon fibre bonnet shipped to my house and installed, just dont want to run the risk of getting defected for having something illegal on the car, its not worth it, even tho cops would barley know the difference you would always get your 1 or 2 who do there job really well.. so for now i dont think ill worry about it just wait till something else comes along, might even decide to get a carbon fibre bonnet and risk it, just keep the origional one in the shed.

• 2 weeks later...

How about you get the vinyl made up and put it on, then decide whether or not you like it.

If you don't like it you could probably sell the bonnet with the vinyl installed to get your money back.

Top Secret have CF vinyl on their R35 GTR and also sell it, took the picture myself and it looks great in the flesh.

If you like it, do it. You can purchase it quite easily.

topsecretvisitmayslidin.jpg

yeah, thats what i thought as well, i have a friend who is nearly 10 years in the trade, since finishing his apprenticeship, so i could get him to do it easily, i can absolutely respect what people say about it being fake and not genuine, because im also a big believer in doing things properly.. i would myself rather have a genuine carbon fibre bonnet shipped to my house and installed, just dont want to run the risk of getting defected for having something illegal on the car, its not worth it, even tho cops would barley know the difference you would always get your 1 or 2 who do there job really well.. so for now i dont think ill worry about it just wait till something else comes along, might even decide to get a carbon fibre bonnet and risk it, just keep the origional one in the shed.

Why risk it? Just get an ADR approved hood and you'll be fine.

As for the vinyl - like on the GTR posted above... it looks for for accents, but as for a whole panel... It might or might not. Imagine if you yourself don't like it once you've paid for it :down:

I did a carbon fiber headliner recently for my Sentra. Turned out all right and didn't cost that much. Sure you could do the same thing to a metal hood if it was just for looks.

stripped off the cloth

headliner001.jpg

rubbed off the foam

headliner002.jpg

laid down a sheet of single weave carbon fiber and coated with epoxy resin

headliner004.jpg

Here's a close up of the weave after the epoxy dried. I'll take a picture of the installed headliner tomorrow. This was my first project using carbon fiber. With a little more practice I'd like to start making things like intake and brake ducts.

headlinercloseup004.jpg

Here's a close up of the weave after the epoxy dried. I'll take a picture of the installed headliner tomorrow. This was my first project using carbon fiber. With a little more practice I'd like to start making things like intake and brake ducts.

headlinercloseup004.jpg

Amazing, most people start with the small stuff and work their way up, Guessing yours are made of solid Steel!

I'm considering doing some parts too. Covering looks simple enough.

Search Google for vacuum bagging carbon fibre technique. You use plastic to vacuum hold your object to the shape. This forces the carbon weave to sit flush without as many ripples.

Of course you need something small enough to cover in plastic and hold vacuum while it cures.

Why risk it? Just get an ADR approved hood and you'll be fine.

As for the vinyl - like on the GTR posted above... it looks for for accents, but as for a whole panel... It might or might not. Imagine if you yourself don't like it once you've paid for it ;)

proper look alike CF vinal is top quality and if you did a whole gtr bonnet it would probably be close to same weight and would look good, its just getting a sheet of vinal that big to cover the bonnet, it would be quite easy, like laying decals.

• 3 weeks later...