SAU Community

Sound System Location

silbastian

Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts or tried having their sub woofer behind drivers seat floor rather than in them boot. Is there much gain/less boot rattle you reckon?

Reason i ask is, i hate having a big sub woofer in the boot because it leaves to no room for spare tires

given that a bass wave is rather long (in some cases 30ft!) and you have it right behind you - are you going to get 'best effect' vs having it far away as possible (IE boot.) ?

that wave needs to expand to really be felt/heard.

Boot facing in works well IF you seal of the box properly. Otherwise you get bass cancellation. I think thats the right word for it... basically the primary and secondary waves cancel each other out, which is why it generally sounds better that way when the boot is open.

The Crossfire Car Audio site used to have a good technical reference that explains the different subwoofer set ups for different types of woofers. (eg. band pass, isobaric, free air, sealed, ported, and some more elaborate types of woofers). It explained well how to properly install subs facing into the cabin in a sedan to eliminate the bass cancellation and reduce bass lost to panel vibrations. Basically comes down to how well you seal off the gap between the cabin and subs, and the boot.

How exactly were you planning on putting the sub behind the drivers seat?

given that a bass wave is rather long (in some cases 30ft!) and you have it right behind you - are you going to get 'best effect' vs having it far away as possible (IE boot.) ?

that wave needs to expand to really be felt/heard.

You will also gain some response and volume from the cabin gain that you will get when in the boot.

buy a Porsche 911 then put the sub in front of you ,, bass in ya face. thru the air vents under the dash

did a LAMBO and 512 Ferrari that way, 8" solobaric in fiberglass box using the floor space under your feet on the passenger side. nice tight bass

but not lots of SPL to shake the ground with

you dont have to remove a spare to have good Bass,,, Im so tired of preaching that..lol

the skyline has more then enough room to be creative to get bass inside it without firing the sub into the boot which creates muddy boomy bass "in most cases " and rattles the hell out of them , Most Skylines have steel plates between the rear seat and boot anyhow but hidden between the rear seat and side panels is a big void. or more then enough room to port bass thru to the front , another choice , remove the rear speakers, port the bass thru the holes which will give you even more cabin gain as the wavelength of sound bounces off the shape of the glass backwindow = higher SPL

or port thru the back seat similar to using a 4dr seat with armrest /ski tunnel passthru to the boot . which gives a purer SPL, tighter bass.

a sealed, or bandpass box works a treat and can be sealed off from the boot area easy the GTT Sat Nav computer will need relocating but nothing else.

some GTR and cars with rear strut braces may need some tweaking to work but still not a worry

these are LEGAL ways, if your game to run the gauntlet of defects you can go crazy and cut the rear deck with ports and speakers.

putting a speaker in the floor isnt legal if you cut it or place the driving compartment in jeopardy of crashing in anyway(boxes that consume the drivers feet or passenger safety in anyway.

u dont need spare tyres
Spare tyres are for pussies.

not the space saver, just a spare 2 rims just incase i ever feel the need to pop my rear ones on-road.

How exactly were you planning on putting the sub behind the drivers seat?

i was gonna have the direction of the sub, facing the back window on an angle from the floor.

the skyline has more then enough room to be creative to get bass inside it without firing the sub into the boot which creates muddy boomy bass "in most cases " and rattles the hell out of them , Most Skylines have steel plates between the rear seat and boot anyhow but hidden between the rear seat and side panels is a big void. or more then enough room to port bass thru to the front , another choice , remove the rear speakers, port the bass thru the holes which will give you even more cabin gain as the wavelength of sound bounces off the shape of the glass backwindow = higher SPL

or port thru the back seat similar to using a 4dr seat with armrest /ski tunnel passthru to the boot . which gives a purer SPL, tighter bass.

a sealed, or bandpass box works a treat and can be sealed off from the boot area easy the GTT Sat Nav computer will need relocating but nothing else.

some GTR and cars with rear strut braces may need some tweaking to work but still not a worry

yeah i tried removing the rear speakers and having the sub going threw the holes though the fact is, i still had the sub in the boot which eh i don't like so much... previous owner put a 12" with a massive box which almost touches both struts. was thinking of maybe getting 8".

thanks for the replies all,

(ps. im not a bass pumping kid haha, i just want most usage out of my boot and also have some bass for kicks... nothing muzza)

Edited by silbastian

its easy mate, even a quality 8 or 10 will hit 130db or more with modest power and sound tight and punchy, clear

the box size doesnt need to be much bigger then a big shoe box either. any custom stereo installer should be more then capable of a design to fit your needs. and regain all of your boot back, your shocks will thank you and so will your performance of your car over the dead weight of a big box.

and spare tires ....sure beat walking ... or sitting by the road waiting for the roadside assistance guy to tell you your a putz for not having a spare in middle of whoop whoop(outback)!!!!...lol

get a flat with a chick in the car, she will wait!!!!!.........for the next car that pulls up to leave ya on the roadside alone..lol

its easy mate, even a quality 8 or 10 will hit 130db or more with modest power and sound tight and punchy, clear

the box size doesnt need to be much bigger then a big shoe box either. any custom stereo installer should be more then capable of a design to fit your needs. and regain all of your boot back, your shocks will thank you and so will your performance of your car over the dead weight of a big box.

and spare tires ....sure beat walking ... or sitting by the road waiting for the roadside assistance guy to tell you your a putz for not having a spare in middle of whoop whoop(outback)!!!!...lol

get a flat with a chick in the car, she will wait!!!!!.........for the next car that pulls up to leave ya on the roadside alone..lol

our fitter at work made 140db with a single 10... :blink: easy as.

I had my Alpine Type R 12" (with ported Alpine box) in the boot of my 33. Rattled the absolute shit out of my car. Sounded good on the inside, but even on a relatively low volume the boot rattled like a mofo and was embarassing.

In my new Supra the box won't even fit in the boot (well, hatchback) of the Supra. It sits directly behind the driver which suits me fine because I HATE driving with a passenger behind me. Gives me the perfect excuse not to take more than 2 people at once. Sounds great now, especially with the windows open.