SAU Community

Electrical Problems? Yes Or No?

Lewinarose

Hey all.....

Got a problem that i really dont know anything about... (feel like a moron lol)

I have a R34 automatic skyline... usually perfect.

Was driving tonight normal for about 15mins with parkers on. pulled up at the servo turned the car off.. Now when leaving the servo i indicatored out.. When the indicator came on the stereo blinked off for a second and the headlights as well.

After the indicator turned off it all went back to normal. Down the road turned the high beams on. Off everything went again for a bit longer and some of the dash lights kept flashing (a/t, seat belts etc) Turned the highs off.. Back to normal.

Stopped about 10kms later and turned the lights off put her in park. then flicked the highs on for a second to see what would happen... The car stalled???

Had a look under the hood at some of the relays and fuses... fine. Then leaving everything went fine for another 5kms, highs beams on did nothing all back to normal. But... then i indicatored... everything off again. this time it also happend when i would put the brake lights on and my head lights were a whole lot duller...! Any suggestions on what it would be? Fuses? Wires? Battery?????

could possibly be an alternator issue or a battery issue, but as trident said, bit hard to diagnose over the net. i'd start by getting yourself a multimeter and checking the voltage of the batter with the car off as well as when the car is running

• 3 weeks later...

I just had the Battery and alternator tested, and both came up trumps :)

I will pull the steering column apart sometime this week and have a look for a possible damaged wire or plug or something.

Anyone else had an issue like this???

MJ

could possibly be an alternator issue or a battery issue, but as trident said, bit hard to diagnose over the net. i'd start by getting yourself a multimeter and checking the voltage of the batter with the car off as well as when the car is running

I just had the Battery and alternator tested, and both came up trumps :P

I will pull the steering column apart sometime this week and have a look for a possible damaged wire or plug or something.

Anyone else had an issue like this???

MJ

I went to an electrician n he was like ummm i dunno.... how old is ur battery? lol plus coz it wasnt doing it all the time it was on n off, it wudnt do it wen he tried to have a look. i didnt get him to do anything coz he sounded like an idiot. reckoned it would take them hours to find where the problem was n it cud end up costin me 200bux or something. i was gonna take it somewhere else but it just stopped hasnt done it since. so i duno wat im gonna do yet. but theres no way im gonna start pullin stuff apart myself! lol lemme know if u find anything?

I went to an electrician n he was like ummm i dunno.... how old is ur battery? lol plus coz it wasnt doing it all the time it was on n off, it wudnt do it wen he tried to have a look. i didnt get him to do anything coz he sounded like an idiot. reckoned it would take them hours to find where the problem was n it cud end up costin me 200bux or something. i was gonna take it somewhere else but it just stopped hasnt done it since. so i duno wat im gonna do yet. but theres no way im gonna start pullin stuff apart myself! lol lemme know if u find anything?

steering coloumn is easy to get off, 6-8 screws

im no electrical genius either but before you fork out $$$ it would make sense to see if its anything obvious/easy :D

have you checked headlight plugs maybe something has come loose and is rubbing/shorting on the engine bay

Edited by dave_rb20

how long you had the car?, could be an aftermarket product was on the car and removed before came to aus and the wire not tapped up causing an earth problem. electrical can be alot of things.

Im the first aussie owner. havent even had it for a year yet...

This is the first 'major' problem ive had. but ive also had to replace every light globe at seperate times since ive had it.. Dont know if that has anything to do with it..

And no i havent checked much at all coz i dont even really know what im looking for.. and the electrician didnt even know where i should start.. i mite just wait till someone wants to have a proper look at it for me for free haha coz its not doing it anymore so its not like an emergency..

• 2 months later...

Ok an update on the situation. it hadnt happend for 3months until the last week,

only now its way worse... When turning on the high beams, the cd player will cut off n eject the cd. the windows wont wind up, the central locking on my keys wont work! and the car stalls, then when tryin to start it, it will do nothing! several times, for about ten minutes it will do that. an then try to turn again n it will magically start. Took it to the auto elec, he thought it was weird, checked the battery and alternator. completely fine. he thought it was something to do with a relay or getting water in the door?? has anyone found out what the F**K this is coz its VERY annoying!

Being an R34, did it have Xenon Headlights modified at compliance?

Mine did...by what appears to have been a thirteen-year-old crack wh***. :blink:

All I know that whoever did the job definitely didn't care about professionalism or longevity of their work.

Scotch crimps, many cut wires left bare, poorly done crimping with cheap components, incorrectly shaped globe adapter spacers, etc, etc.

I've had similar 'bad earthing' issues, with all lights dipping when others are turned on & flashing in time with indicators, etc. I would closely investigate any wiring that was touched since landing in the country. If the car had those kind of issues in Japan, it would have either had the problem repaired, or an earthing kit fitted, they love those kits... I begin to understand the logic myself.