SAU Community

Double Demerits Christmas/new Year.

Tony de Wonderful

I don't get it

Does double demerits during Christmas period mean that outside the holiday season I can be half as careful?

Sends the wrong message, and is a relic from when they tried to double the monetary fines but failed due to public backlash

I'm not going to be driving my car during this period.

Don't want to risk a yellow, as the only times I seem to get pulled over is during public holiday times.

I drove my skyline at Midnight on Thursday/Friday and I wasn't doing anything wrong, got pulled over straight away and stickered. Not cool.

Dont see the point in double demerits or how it is fair, speeding/drink driving is no more or less dangerous on christmas than at any other time. Why not make murder 30 years instead of 15 or burglary 6 years instead of 3 during the holidays as well?

Police are really out in force though so crack out your mums camry, I saw 2 speed cameras, 3 marked cop cars and to top it off when I was nearly home I was also pulled over by 2 unmarked cop cars, a white ve divvy van that was very obvious and a not so obvious maroon vz wagon. Fine because my back p plate had fallen and flipped over to the red side:( This was all on a 15km stretch of one road as well

It's just a big PR thing basically...makes the cops look 'proactive'...and gets 'stats' to show off to the media.

Fatigue causes more crashes and deaths than DUI/Drink Driving or speeding. That should be addressed by rights but it requires more than a booze bus or motorcycle 'wolf pack' on Orrong rd which is very visible (looks proactive) and gets 'results' (statistics). Same with issuing yellows. It's all stats. Picking the low hanging fruit.

Well it makes sense to me, there are lots of people that only drink during the festive season and then want to drive home. Or drive stupidly because they are frustrated at the amount of traffic, or want to get to the shops quickly so they can finish christmas shopping.

Has anyone mentioned revenue raising yet?

Ok, I will: Revenue Raising...

IMO, the best way to save lives on our roads, is to increase driver training, drivers need to know how to handle a car, and what exactly it takes to crash it.

Double demerits does sweet FA for making safer roads, more skilled drivers, safer roads.

gets 'results' (statistics). Same with issuing yellows. It's all stats. Picking the low hanging fruit.

Completely agree. I don't need to mention the fact that cops have their own quotas to fill, and they wont stop at anything to get said stats on their reports. Silly us for thinking cops were around to keep us safe.

Love double demerits especially on P plates, 70 in a 60 zone and bye bye license,

Are you sure about this? I personally know someone (a good friend) who got done doing 32km's over in the easter holidays, on easter infact, and he is still driving around.