SAU Community

Circuit Club Wakefield Park On Australia Day Jan 26th

HKS26T

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

right im back, bloody interwebs giving me issues, today was the second time in a row internode failed to turn up and connect me :)

anyway back to topic, thanks again steve, sorry to hear the heat and lack of sleep caught up with you. Weeks of driving to mittagong and back for work probably don't help, thats craziest commute i have ever heard about :) :)

Matt still doesnt know whats wrong with the skyline, fuel lines and brakes have been changed. Only went for the bendix ultimates due to budget issues but will try out the ferodo's next time, might keep an eye on the indicators as well, is it normal to need to machine them everytime i change my pads?:)

Plan to service it more too but well u know what they say about best laid plans of mice and men,, (no i cant remember either but it seemed appropriate to mention).

oh and the guy in the mini nascar, that was me being confused about the early braking. Had no intention of appearing to know what i was doing but i think its one of those things where its sometimes easier to see mistakes from outside the car and i appreciate your advice in kind. Off 5 times in 3 laps might be stretching the truth but then i am yet to review all the footage and wouldnt be surprised, well, its one way to find my limits.. :P

I thought i had the apex's about worked out except for the times i was offline (after overtaking you :) ) but its an ongoing process especially with all the other factors such as tyre temp, wear, approach speed etc all having an effect on the best line into a corner. I dont think i will ever have it completely worked out in this lifetime but i have sure come a long way from my first day out and now relish carving up the guys in group D and most of C.

Long way off mixing it up in group A/B but my ego likes to think that is partly due to having an overweight and underpowered tank that could only pull away from two cars on the straight. The white S14 (lovely guys driving that) and the MX5 which for a trailer queen seemed kinda slow.

ok this has been a good vent, cant wait till feb 17th at EC ..er as long as my car is fixed by then..matt?

oh and the guy in the mini nascar, that was me being confused about the early braking. Had no intention of appearing to know what i was doing but i think its one of those things where its sometimes easier to see mistakes from outside the car and i appreciate your advice in kind. Off 5 times in 3 laps might be stretching the truth but then i am yet to review all the footage and wouldnt be surprised, well, its one way to find my limits.. :banana:

I have no problems with your driving, I enjoy mixing it up with the fullsize cars. I just remember watching you go into turn 1 and the last turn with full lock hoping to make the apex but just continuing straight ahead off the track each time lol.

Getting a set of semi-slick tyres (even if they are second hand) will make the biggest difference to your handling and laptimes so that would be my suggestion as your next investment.

I have no problems with your driving, I enjoy mixing it up with the fullsize cars. I just remember watching you go into turn 1 and the last turn with full lock hoping to make the apex but just continuing straight ahead off the track each time lol.

Getting a set of semi-slick tyres (even if they are second hand) will make the biggest difference to your handling and laptimes so that would be my suggestion as your next investment.

hey benM and guestlove (?),

would love to see that utube footage, have some from my bonnet of me tailgating the little blue car which i will post when i get some broadband happening. this wireless usb just doesnt do it for uploads, post the link here please if you get around to it.

Wont be in decent semi slicks for a while as i still have a spare set of KU36, kumhos to get through but will def look for some once i drive the wheels of the current rubber. Even whats on there now made a massive difference to the crap that was on them when i bought it so cant wait to get into some proper sticky shoes.

Asked the mechanic who still has my car under lock and key to throw some suspension and possibly a bigger turbo at it so that should help me get into the 1.15's, what was ur best time ben? what are u aiming for ?

full lock around the corners is the only way to do it right? :)

You dont need a bigger turbo what you want is a set of whiteline swaybars and whiteline strut bars and some braided brake lines.

My best of the day was 1:18.2sec which im happy with. It will go quicker simply from me gaining trust in the semi slick tyres and the brakes. It's still a full 10sec off what the car is capable with but im happy for now.

do not get a bigger turbo. You'll be 10 times slower Pat.

its all about seat time. The more time in the seat, at the track will = quicker lap times.

Id suggest getting sway bars and a wheel alignment. The KU36's are still a good tyre. Not a true semi slick however much better than street tyres.

Once you have done some more track time and had some driver trainers in the car, you'll shit in a 1.13 anyday of the week :D

hey benM and guestlove (?),

would love to see that utube footage, have some from my bonnet of me tailgating the little blue car which i will post when i get some broadband happening. this wireless usb just doesnt do it for uploads, post the link here please if you get around to it.

Wont be in decent semi slicks for a while as i still have a spare set of KU36, kumhos to get through but will def look for some once i drive the wheels of the current rubber. Even whats on there now made a massive difference to the crap that was on them when i bought it so cant wait to get into some proper sticky shoes.

Asked the mechanic who still has my car under lock and key to throw some suspension and possibly a bigger turbo at it so that should help me get into the 1.15's, what was ur best time ben? what are u aiming for ?

full lock around the corners is the only way to do it right? :(

Hey Patrick!

Had a little chat with the mechanic today and he did mentioned you were interested in some mods LOL

He definately is against a bigger turbo! (for now :P ) If you speak to him he would be able to make some suggestions,

what the others are saying are definately the right path to head down. Just remember, there is always more then one

way to skin a cat! - Although he did say that the car will definately be ready for EC :D

Hey Hamilton,

Ill get to editing and uploading it on youtube.

Like others have said, dont go spending money on mods yet (Just make sure you car is reliable, has good tyres, fresh fluid and good brake pads). My first time out at Wakefield was in my IS200 (1JZGTE powered but stock power), coilovers stock 16" wheels with the stock bridgestone. I did have Tein Flex and TRD sway bars, but I managed 1:14's. Power is not everything, especially at a small track like wakefield. (Although I need more to keep up with HKS26T haha).

Work on your driving skill. The main aim is to steer as less as possible, so full locking is a no no, that is where your car will understeer (Plow into the dirt haha).

Work on your lines, to limit as much steering as possible. Dont brake too late either. You want to concentrate on powering out of the corner.

thanks everyone, thats a lot of advice to absorb in one hit!

I dont know how i got by without SAU before but i think i will be more of a regular now this race bug has really bit hard, i still dont get the not braking late thing as the traditional advice i have seen so far is to go hard when possible then brake as hard as is feasible (in a straight line if possible) before powering out from the apex letting the car slowly straighten up.

Definitely need to work on lines and find my own comfort zone as everytime i have a fast driver come along for instruction he seems to give me completely different advice then the one before, im pretty sure i have the fishhook nailed though as it used to be my worst corner and now its only the last and first i have real trouble with now and then.

As for parts, that seems to be one thing everyone agrees on--handling, handling and more handling!

Not sure how much braided brake lines will cost me but Matt said a tein monoflex set up will go for about 3g's and make a big difference, swaybars, bushes and castors (?) were also mentioned..so it looks like its going to be ready indeed for EC, as long as i dont overcook that kink at the end of the straight too often i should be ok. Only driven rented MX5's there before which are pretty hard to embarrass yourself in so my increased power since those days should make it interesting..

is your black supra going to be there for a rematch guest? Not often they are outpowered by skylines (re the eagle video) so time to up teh boost dont you think ? :)

ben u bringing the toy nascar? if it looked small at wakefield its going to feel like a micromachine out on the empty sunburnt plains surrounding blacktown..

oh and 118 is shocking :P you better beat the pants of the big boys next time or else, for shame :ermm:

ok hks (steve is much less of a mouthful) im off to skin a cat,the right way this time. thanks again for getting me in matts capable hands (that sounded a bit wrong but i aint touching it)

Yeah, dont concentrate too much on hard braking. What pads and fluid are you running? Im running Race Pads with RBF600 fluid, and even then with big 4 pot calipers, it has troubles pulling up in those hot conditions. So I brake a bit earlier.

Hamilton (Its pronounced Quest hehe), I will be there in support of the Eagle, but doubt I will be racing..a bit poor these days :)

Yeah, dont concentrate too much on hard braking. What pads and fluid are you running? Im running Race Pads with RBF600 fluid, and even then with big 4 pot calipers, it has troubles pulling up in those hot conditions. So I brake a bit earlier.

Hamilton (Its pronounced Quest hehe), I will be there in support of the Eagle, but doubt I will be racing..a bit poor these days :P

hey 'quest' sorry i got it wrong, what the proper spelling doesnt give u a cryptic enough moniker?

brake pads are bendix ultimates due to cost concerns, god knows what fluids been put in but hopefully nice stuff. calipers are stock which thankfully is pretty good on the skylines. will need them at EC :ermm: know what u mean about the dosh, the new suspension is all on plastic and the gf's going to kill me if she sees my statement in a few weeks :)

• 2 weeks later...