SAU Community

Anybody Notice All The Camera's On The M4 Between The Toll Booth And Church Street Exit?

_Wing_

i almost got slammed by a truck behind me because I came up to a 'safety camera' intersection. Hit my brakes because I did not want to go through and risk it, poor truck behind me now has 16 flat spots on his tyres. Then again it was either that or me and my car would look like a jumped on coke can. Makes you wonder if this system is really improving safety..?

I'm not sure if this was implied above but everyone here IS aware (i hope) that these "safety cameras" are constantly a speed camera right...they don't just turn on the speed detection when the lights go amber, its on during green, orange and red. I have seen more then 50 odd people getting flashed when they drive through both the pennant hills safety camera and the safety camera on showground road (as you approach windsor road passing the victoria ave showground rd intersection) also as i have been driving i have seen people in-front of me (who are clearly speeding) getting flashed as they drive through the intersection when its green.

Just thought i would nail in that bit of information for the small few of us who are yet to be informed of these dreaded box's they call "safety cameras"

I'm not sure if this was implied above but everyone here IS aware (i hope) that these "safety cameras" are constantly a speed camera right...they don't just turn on the speed detection when the lights go amber, its on during green, orange and red. I have seen more then 50 odd people getting flashed when they drive through both the pennant hills safety camera and the safety camera on showground road (as you approach windsor road passing the victoria ave showground rd intersection) also as i have been driving i have seen people in-front of me (who are clearly speeding) getting flashed as they drive through the intersection when its green.

Just thought i would nail in that bit of information for the small few of us who are yet to be informed of these dreaded box's they call "safety cameras"

Hiya Aron,

It's all on this thread...

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/Sa...ng-t300619.html

"SAFETY CAMERA AHEAD" = RED LIGHT CAMERA + SPEED CAMERA

True. All i know is i hate being loaded 10+T (tipper) and approach a traffic light with camera. Lose 3 points and all days earnings in a second. I dont even know weather to go slower than speed limit or do the speed limit while approaching the lights, just to make sure those cheap ass cameras dont snap me up. I dont even pay attention around me, all i do is watch that stupid light. You call that safety? lol I dont think so. Very hard to anticipate. But i guess being in a truck, im in "different cattle of fish".

Try driving a 62T B-Double down p/h road in pissing down rain to see the lights go amber and dickheads in little cars try to dangerously get infront of you so they dont get stuck behind you. Mind you driving 11hrs all night aswell.

Try driving a 62T B-Double down p/h road in pissing down rain to see the lights go amber and dickheads in little cars try to dangerously get infront of you so they dont get stuck behind you. Mind you driving 11hrs all night aswell.

Idiots like that are just asking for it - the problem is that our road safety education doesn't teach people to look out for things like that, so they probably know no better. People using their common sense? 'Sif that will ever happen!

The first thing I do EVERY time I see an amber light is check my mirrors to see if there is either a truck behind me, or someone sitting WAY too close for my liking giving me reason to suspect they won't stop in time to avoid hitting my car if I were to hit the brakes.

Many, many years ago (probably in the late '90's, I can't remember exactly) I got off a red-light camera conviction because I contested the fine/loss of points, due to the fact that at the time I had a truck behind me in my lane, I didn't know if it was empty or loaded, and wasn't sure if he'd be able to stop in time if I had chosen to hit the brakes. It was a downhill section of road, both longer and steeper than Pennant Hills Road, and there was other traffic around, so I couldn't change lanes.

I wonder how many people put themselves in the place of a truck driver or motorbike rider when they're out on the road, or even allows for the abilities (or lack thereof) of other drivers and the vehicles they're in. Who can honestly say that they do?

I didn't realise you could drive for "11 hours all night". I thought that every 5 hours you had to take 1/2 hour break minimum with a maximum # of hours in any 24 hour period. If your hours of work are making you less able to deal with issues then maybe you should be taking a break.

Dickheads in little cars pulling in front of you and hitting the brakes is a valid complaint. Mow them down by all means and help us all by increasing the average IQ of the country. :)

The length and weight of your truck should not have a huge bearing on how long it takes to slow down. You should have the same ratio of brakes and tyre contact patch per tonne as a guy driving a 12t GVM rigid. The only difference with b-doubles and the like is that it takes you a lot longer to get back up to speed, hence some of the ridiculous "pushing" I see from drivers of heavy combinations.

The length of time a light stays amber is not just some random figure pulled out of a hat. It is based on the upper limit of how long it takes a roadworthy vehicle to stop from the posted speed limit. If you can't physically pull up in time then perhaps the truck is overloaded or underbraked and maybe not roadworthy?

I have spent my share of time driving a horribly underpowered and underbraked truck and I can understand how truckies get frustrated by stupid behaviour. Suggesting these new safety cameras will create a hazardous situation is a bit of a stretch though, IMO.

BTW, the cameras on the M4 between the tolls and Church St were first installed purely to monitor for breakdowns. A sefety audit was done before this section of road was converted from 2 lanes to 3 and the report suggested that the removal of the shoulder created a serious risk of incidents due to stranded vehicles having nowhere safe to go hence the need to closely monitor and respond quickly to breakdowns.

Cheers,

Ben