SAU Community

Back Yard Race Fuel (DIY)

rev210

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Elf LMS is the control fuel Elf originally designed and made for Le Mans, it seems like a good brew. Makes good power, consistent, excellent quality and runs cooler which is all very logical stuff for turbo engines running in a 24 hour race.

Makes only a little less power than Turbomax, and is cheaper and not as nasty to use.

Marty - not advancing the timing and putting that much in may have made it go slower as it is denser (?) and would simulate your car running rich (?)

Jay.......would be really really good to get 200L! Especially if it's as cheap as down south! Am keen as man

Doesn't Elf LMS also like to be run leaner than most people tune their cars (conservative street tune type of stuff) ???

I think I read that it really loves being in the 12's.

Adrian

Doesn't Elf LMS also like to be run leaner than most people tune their cars (conservative street tune type of stuff) ???

I think I read that it really loves being in the 12's.

Adrian

Originally posted by benm

I still find it quite weird how this topic hasn't appeared long ago if its deffinetly a seat of the pants power increase. What happens in 10,000km when someone has to do a rebuild because it doesn't work out like everyone states.

This stuff has been in use as a performance increase for years.

You used to be able to buy toluene from the pump, as my boss used to run 20% in his Mini Cooper S all the time.

As for adverse engine effects, if you use 20% or under, you should be fine without engine modifications.

Hot 4s did an article on this (probably about 10 years ago now) and recommended no higher than 20% without doing other stuff to your car.

As it burns hotter than normal fuel, you can burn out valves if you use too much, and I believe they recommended stainless valves if you were going to use it.

• 5 weeks later...

2 questions...

1) What is the shelf life of toulene? ie) if I get 200L from shell or bp can I use 10L a week with every tank for 20 weeks - will the last 10L be just as good as the 1st 10L batch?

2) Do you have to shake it vigorously with petrol before hand to properly mix it? or can you just add it straight then add the petrol and will driving and cornering mix it up enough?

sorry for the questions - didn't do chem in school!

• 2 months later...

So will there be any differences in the ways we can add toluene (other than method B being more time consuming)???

Method A: Go to a petrol station with an empty tank, first add petrol or toluene and than add the other.

Method B: Mix them at your garage, shake well :rofl: and than add to your petrol tank.

Also will a 95 octane petrol increased to 98 octane by using toluene be the same or as good as a genuine 98 octane petrol (optimax, bp, mobile )???

Some mechanic mentioned that a 95-96 octane petrol increased to 98 by using octane boosters wont be as good as geniune 98 petrol when tuning the car :confused:

Incidently if you want to use it legally as fuel you need to approach the appropriate? Gov dep. and arrange to pay the fuel exise to them on any amounts you buy. I don't know as yet if this applies when you are using it in small amounts as an octane booster. EDIT: It is sold as a solvent and as such does not attract fuel tax thats's why it is relativly cheap. If you use it as a fuel then you are legally required to contact the appropriate gov dept and pay them the fuel tax due on the amount you use as fuel. The only question is .... is an octane booster counted as fuel.

Surely if you were using it as an Octane Booster for Track use it would be exempt from fuel excise? It certainly couldnt be illegal on the track, could it?

REV210: Did you change the C.A.S? How many degrees, if any?

Toluene Octane Booster sounds good. I was talking about it with a friend of a friend 2 days ago, who is a Petro-Chemical Technician or something and he said you would only need a Cup-full to make a difference, I realise this conflicts with all of your mixture levels mentioned here, maybe he has been sniffing it too much :P I am glad somebody re-dredged this thread from the ether :( 10-20% sounds like a good level.

Any one tried it with Synergy 8000. I am able to run more timing @ 16psi compared to when I run BP98. BP98 causes the car to go flat for a sec then pics up and then goes flat again. Running less timing fixes the power loss/dip feeling but that isn't the point :D

A similar thing happens to my car with BP98, I have tried Synergy a couple of times and the problem is not noticeable... Synergy is further away and more expensive - as you mentioned.

Cheers.

So will there be any differences in the ways we can add toluene (other than method B being more time consuming)???

Method A: Go to a petrol station with an empty tank, first add petrol or toluene and than add the other.  

Method B: Mix them at your garage, shake well :( and than add to your petrol tank.

Also will a 95 octane petrol increased to 98 octane by using toluene be the same or as good as a genuine 98 octane petrol (optimax, bp, mobile )???

Some mechanic mentioned that a 95-96 octane petrol increased to 98 by using octane boosters wont be as good as geniune 98 petrol when tuning the car  :confused:

So no one knows???

So no one knows???

If you wait a bit, the original thread starter + others who have contributed to this topic will see it and perhaps provide input to your query.

Patience O-B-1, people are probably on holidays, like me :) [but not online].

:P

I am guessing that Method A would be the go.

How do you explain to them [at the servo] why you want to put 50 Litres of BP Ultimate 98 into a Jerry can...? For your supercharged ride-on lawn mower? Lol...

I don't think they would knowingly let you *mix up molotov corcktails* in your backyard.

:Bang:

BOOSTMEISTER

we ran a lexus v8 twin blown on c16 with great results, we ended up have 40 psi, 6:1 comp with 32 deg advanced with no det. used shit loads of fuel but sounded amazing. when we were turning this engine it didnt seem to perform untill we advanced the timing so far, something you might want to try next time Roy.

I'm also very interested in setting my car to use this fuel also, there was a article in some mag where they set up a gtr to run on c16, how ever i cant remember the results. From my memory c16 is made for forced induction engines. i would be extremly interested to hear your results if you go down this line. c16 does also have a slight lead content which will mean cleaning your 02 sensors.

Matty B

I am guessing that Method A would be the go.  

How do you explain to them [at the servo] why you want to put 50 Litres of BP Ultimate 98 into a Jerry can...? For your supercharged ride-on lawn mower? Lol...

I don't think they would knowingly let you *mix up molotov corcktails* in your backyard.

:Bang:

If you own oil manufacturing facilities it's quite possible to buy any chemical and petrol you want in bulk :D

And how about quality of 98RON vs 95RON+toluene ?