SAU Community

Back Yard Race Fuel (DIY)

rev210

If heat kills O2 sensors mine should have died along time ago. I've got my dump pipe wrapped up with DEI tape, No heat can escape (poor O2 sensor) you can hold onto the dump pipe with your bare hand even when the pipe underneath is red hot.

rev210 i would like to see a picture of this.

it would make for an interesting walpaper :D

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The way I used Toluene was just added it into my tank at the anticipated mix ratio, and drive down to the servo. I didnt wanna muck around with toluene at the pump itself, and I didnt wanna add it afterwards, cos I want a thorough mixing.

I use a 15% ratio. Toluene is the best octane booster I've ever used. And it doesnt foul your plugs like that other off the shelf shit did.

I bought a 20L drum of it. It should definitely last over a year, since its quite pure and just make sure its sealed tight.

ran elf lms in a HQ race car, spent 3 hours on a dyno and only made 3kw more than normal av gas of the same RON rating! definately wasn't worht the time or money, but that's for a carbied car. wouldn't mind seeing the difference in a forced induction car!

If heat kills O2 sensors mine should have died along time ago. I've got my dump pipe wrapped up with DEI tape, No heat can escape (poor O2 sensor) you can hold onto the dump pipe with your bare hand even when the pipe underneath is red hot.

rev210 i would like to see a picture of this.

it would make for an interesting walpaper :(

Heat killing O2 sensors due to exhaust wrap is a load of crap, Has any one had a look at a stock skyline exhaust?

Mine had this heat fibre type material with a metal shield around it to stop heat escaping. It went from the dump pipe to the cat.

Hi Craved, LMS versus Avgas in a HQ, where do I start......

Avgas is designed for low revving engines, with low compression ratios, it burns slowly and has a flame retardant, which is nice to know when you are flying in a light plane. So you advance the ignition timing to overcome the slow burn rate. Best of all, it is full of lead, not just a little bit but lots. Very bad for the lambda sensor, platinum plugs, catalytic converter and brain cells.

LMS is unleaded, designed for high rpm, has a high oxygen content, tolerates very high compression ratios (that's a plus for turbo cars) and burns fast, but evenly.

Moving on to tuning, LMS has a high calorific value and contains oxygen. So when it burns, it burns cooler but faster with an even flame spread (no detonation) and does not require A/F ratio changes. It will therefore tolerate more advanced ignition than other unleaded fuel. This is what makes the extra power, faster response and lower combustion chamber temperatures. The burning is complete before the exhaust valve opens, so the exhaust valves last heaps longer, as does the turbo.

So sticking LMS in a HQ was a total waste of time, the engine was not designed for the fuel and the fuel was not designed for the engine. The saying that comes to mind is....Strawberries to cops.

Now I have tried LMS a couple of times in Skylines and we have never seen less than a 15% power increase almost everywhere in the power band on the dyno. And neither of the cars needed any fuel mapping changes, but they sure needed heaps of ignition advance.

So if you wanted to run LMS on the track, you should have the Power FC ignition maps tuned for it. Then when you put 98 in it you can easily and quickly drop the timing back with a couple of Commander button pushes on the ignition timing master override. With the Motec we just upload a retarded ignition map from the PC.

This has not been our experience with Turbomax, it seems to need fuel and ignition changes to give its best. Its best was only 5% more than LMS, and given a 50% price premium, I prefer LMS for our purposes. However if my car was a dyno hero, Turbomax might just be the difference between winning and loosing.

Hope that helps

Hey guys,

can you use premium unleaded with toluene ?

how many liters do you use of it on an R33 gtst ? (20ltr drum) say 5ltrs ???

as up far noth we carnt get optimax and that.

AFAIK tolulene is used by the manufacturers to boost the octane of premium unleaded to 98 ron, except BP as they are the only ones in Aust that crack the fuel at pretty close to 98 ron.

From the BP website,

TOLUENE IS A COMMON OCTANE BOOSTING COMPONENT

Toluene (methyl benzene) gives about 1 octane number boost for each

5% added and the mixture may need to be slightly richer also. The higher

octane allows the use of a higher compression ratio for more power.

Toluene has a high carbon content that may lead to sooty spark plugs so

don’t assume that this indicates an overly-rich mixture. Toluene is also a

good solvent, and high concentrations affect rubber and plastic

components in the fuel system.

So only 2.5 litres to take 50L of premium to 98 ron.

Ahem! Premium is 96 octane you need to add 2 octane points which means 5L in 50L

sweetr33 How much was that 100L delivered going to cost you and from whom? I thought you could only get 20L or 200L containers or was that 5x20L containers

Yesterday, Tuesday i enquired with BP Australia about the availability of Toluene and i was told it is not being manufactured by BP any longer. NSW gets its supplies from Qld and apparantly their stocks are zero. Victoria still has a few drums left but after that it is no more. Any alternates for Toluene anybody?

Thanks in Advance

Ken

Hi Nismo. Well you will have to ring BP Australia and ask them if they can tell you the ph.no. of the BP Distributors still showing stock of Toluene. From what I was told after the stock runs out they are not making any more. They told me it would be almost impossible to have it sent from Vic to NSW as NSW can only be distributed to from Qld. Funny arangement.

Ken

Hi Nismo. Well you will have to ring BP Australia and ask them if they can tell you the ph.no. of the BP Distributors still showing stock of Toluene. From what I was told after the stock runs out they are not making any more. They told me it would be almost impossible to have it sent from Vic to NSW as NSW can only be distributed to from Qld. Funny arangement.

Ken

Thanks Ken, will give BP a call.

Yesterday i went to Bunnings warehouse in Northmead and they did not have pure toluene. Does anyone know where in Sydney i can find toluene? Are all Bunnings the same? Oh and i'd prefer not ordering in and waiting for it, so please let me know if theres a place who has it in stock so i can walk in walk out.

have you had a look in the phone book for major suppliers?

I found the dealer (in Adelaide) that supplies BP (under the BP listing) and they said that although BP dont supply anymore, they could still source it, $55 for 20L

May be worth a try