SAU Community

Q45 Throttle Body Install.

Daboss

Series 1 has only 1 plug, series 2 has 2 plugs

not necessarily, the second plug is for the auto which i believe has a on off and wot connection or something (haven't worked it out yet).

the series 2 R33 has the same tps as the R34 tps, it uses a bar through it to move a mechanism inside the unit where as the series 1 uses the actual throttle bar to move the part inside the tps..

so different systems altoghter.. i actually need to get a series 1 tps to suit the R34 wiring and i need all the wires connected (auto gearbox).

hope that helps abit

Curt

• 1 month later...

Just to throw another one in the pot..

I have a Series 1 RB25, the grey connector fits straight up but is this the actual TPS wire or do i have to do something with the black connector on the tps?

q4521bg.jpg

Edited by brother_david

Just to throw another one in the pot..

I have a Series 1 RB25, the grey connector fits straight up but is this the actual TPS wire or do i have to do something with the black connector on the tps?

I simply transplanted the s1 RB25 TPS onto the VH45 throttle body. There are two corresponding plugs on the loom, and everything goes back together.

As per my earlier post, there is some lengthening/shortening of wiring lengths to make it all work since the TB is no longer where Nissan intended it.

I have no experience with the s2 loom, but given how easy the s1 install was, I can't see their job as any more difficult. It's just a giant Meccano set, so a bit of exploratory dismantling helps to improve the understanding.

Ye had that realization the other day, its all about fitting big and small chunks of Lego® together, with a small addition of tolerances where it is needed, kind of makes building an engine quite simple :D

Hoping the S2 question sorts, me on the ither hand sold the TPS with the stock engine, so now i guess im gonna know if the Q45 one works with the RB25 loom since it seems to fit "P

• 1 month later...

Hey all,

I have some information to add to this:

I have a 1994 ECR33 rb25det 5spd in my old Datsun. It is a S2 engine. I have it wired in just like it was in the R33. Everything including the data port. I have been running the car in stock form for over a year now. I bought the GReddy intake and I have a 92 infiniti Q45 throttle body laying around from when I parted one out.

1. the S2 TPS setup has one brown connector on the upper tps connector port in stock configuration. The lower connector is the switch and it is not used or wired into the S2 loom. There should be a blank block off connector plugged into it. So you do not wire this up to your harness when you swap over to the Q45 TB.

That should help a good portion of people.

2. The S1 and S2 throttle position sensors do not correlate with each others outputs(We are not talking about the switch part). The lower connector on the S2 and the pigtailed connector on the S1 is the sensor circuit we are comparing here.

My Data for reference

Both my S2 sensors check out according to the FSM with FLYING COLORS. They spec out according to the FSM. They are to be back probed with ignition on engine off and they have voltage readings to be measured.

Well I busted out my meter and Bench tested 4 TPS's.

I drew up some pictures of the connectors which I will not share here, but I was able to reference the 2 styles of connectors that way. For comparison I bench tested the 4 tps sensors using my meter.

For your purposes I will compare them with a 1 , 2 , and 3 for each respective pin.

S2

1-2 idle 5.25kΩ

1-2 wot 136.3Ω

2-3 idle 257Ω

2-3 wot 5.32kΩ

1-3 total 5.28kΩ

S2

1-2 idle 5.02kΩ

1-2 wot 70Ω

2-3 idle 290Ω

2-3 wot 5.16kΩ

1-3 total 5.09kΩ

S1

1-2 idle 9.54Ω

1-2 wot 290Ω

2-3 idle 290Ω

2-3 wot 9.55kΩ

1-3 total 9.44kΩ

89 KA24e

1-2 idle 8.83kΩ

1-2 wot 124Ω

2-3 idle 324.4Ω

2-3 wot 8.90kΩ

1-3 total 8.76kΩ

I have a 86 300zxt (VG30et) and 92 Q45 TPS around somewhere as well. I may be able to locate them and test them as well, but I think I will get about the same results. There was a change with the Pre/partial OBDII stuff around 94 when Nissan jumped on that band wagon.

There is almost twice the amount of resistance going through the older S1 and KA TPS switches. The Q45 TPS should be the same as the KA24e...

Less resistance through the TPS means higher voltage signals to the ECU. Nissan must have had interference problems with the TPS signal and needed to up the voltage to clean it up. That is all I can think of. They did the same thing with the modern A/F sensors where the voltage scale starts at like 3 volts rather than 800mV like traditional sensors. If this is true they may have changed the engineering of the wire shielding for the sensor wire itself or the other 2 wires. I have a FSM for a S1 that shows the TPS at .3V-.4V KOEO. I have no idea what the spec is for the S2. I set my S2 originally to the S1 spec and the car functioned properly to the best of my knowledge.

Anyway take my data with a grain of salt. I am not an electrical engineer. I tried to check and recheck my data, but it could be bogus. I am mostly self taught when it comes to this stuff.

I have found 1 picture of a 96 Q45 throttle body. It had the S2 style TPS on it. So that may be of some assistance. I will not be cutting my harness to put a sensor on that doesnt have the same specs as the original unless I get absolute confirmation the system would work acceptably in that condition. I see lots of crazy wiring going on with these engines over here... Lots of smoked ECU circuits(mostly the FP relay from flyback voltage).

NicoClub 96 Q45 TB S2 TPS Sensor Thread

q452.jpg

q45.jpg

Edited by DatsunMotorSports

Confirmation...

The ANSWER is that in 1996 Non-TCS G50 Platforms with the VH45de state side definitely came with a 1 year only throttle body that utilizes the newer style TPS. So Series II "S2" RB25det Owners need to use this one year only throttle body if they want the 90mm. I cannot fit much else in my old Zed so I have to find one.