SAU Community

Fuel Filling Difficulties. Opening Too Narrow For Nozzle?!

SUBL1ME

Hi Stagea folk,

Im new to the forum, well posting anyway. I picked up a 97 Stagea RS4 late last year and am loving every minute of it. Well except filling it with fuel.

Whats the deal with the filler opening? It seems too narrow for the pump nozzles. When i fill up I cant simply squeeze the trigger and fill it up at full flow. After spending nearly 10 minutes yesterday and giving up at 40 litres I thought I might ask some questions. Im putting this down to one of the quirks you have to live with when driving an import, but is there anything that can be done to remedy the situation? Or does everyone simply deal with it?

Cheers

Brett.

ps I did try the search button with numerous combinations but got no where. Hopefully this thread might help other newbies in the future.

Hey Brett, welcome to the forums!

Is your car a freshly-imported one, or one that's been in the country for a while? If it's a fresh import, you might want to make sure the importer/compliancer has changed the nozzle in the compliancing process (assuming it's even different from Japanese nozzles, anyway). I believe it's one of the requirements of the process, so it should have been done.

I have definitely had the trouble you are talking about, both in my previous s2 (1999 model) and my current M35.

My first thought when I read the title was the same as everyone else - "stop filling up with diesel" lol...just kidding.

Different servos seem to give different results. I find most of the ones I go to regularly here are fine (all BP), but there are some where you really have to experiment with different angles to get the pump nozzle in. Then its another job trying to get it back out when you're done. I've had the most trouble out in the country when doing interstate trips.

The other problem is that because its not a fantastic fit, you sit there pulling the trigger in slowly until it goes click, click, click, and keeps shutting off. Most of the servos I go to now are ok and I can pull the trigger fully in, but its very frustrating when thats not the case - trying to get a good compromise between actually getting petrol in the car and not standing there for half an hour trying to fill up.

lol... that constant clicking is because your nozzle it too deep in the hole.... try pulling it back about an inch, doing so will change the angle and allow a higher flow.

(and yes, I realise how that sounds :huh: )

Hey Brett, welcome to the forums!

Is your car a freshly-imported one, or one that's been in the country for a while? If it's a fresh import, you might want to make sure the importer/compliancer has changed the nozzle in the compliancing process (assuming it's even different from Japanese nozzles, anyway). I believe it's one of the requirements of the process, so it should have been done.

Yeah I'm sure changing the filler neck thing is a requirement for compliance, I guess it could be possible that it wasnt done or the wrong item was somehow used though?

As others have said though, just experiment with holding the pump nozzle at different angles first, thats more likely to be the cause of the problem.

Is this something that happens at every petrol station you go to?

haha nah definately not using diesel. Im not that noob.

Im using either BP ultimate or Caltex Vortex98 and I havent been able to get either to find "the sweet spot". I was turning and adjusting the nozzle in every concieveable direction yesterday and just couldnt get it to flow steadily.

As far as I know Im the 3rd Aussie owner so its not freshly imported.

Thanks for the help though. I guess I'll just keep fiddling with the nozzle.

Cheers

Brett.

Edited by SUBL1ME

Yeah my 34 does the same, drive's me nuts. Specially at a busy servo when u want to fill up and the people behind you think your being a wanker and going slow on purpose.

I to am yet to find the "sweet spot" with the bloody thing.

Not all car's have the restrictor thingy your talking about, as most car's i think allready have the small opening to only fit unleaded nozzle's in, i think it was more they were fitting anti syphoning things in? Well from what i can remember.

Just so as you guys know, it is not only your cars that have this prob.

My wifes Magna is an absolute bitch for this... I can only have the nozzle about half way in to allow the full flow from the bowser.

Then when it is full, it coughs and splutters up a heap of fuel through the breather holes which runs down the paintwork and splashes my hand.

I hate the damn thing.

Wost. Fuel filler. Ever.

Not a bad car besides that and the whole FWD thing....

I had the same problem with my series 1 when i got it. Pretty sure it is the anti siphoning flap stopping flow. get inside the rear wheel arch and detatch the rubber connector that is held on with 2 hose clamps. Cover the pipe that goes to the tank and mash the flap out with a screw driver. Thats what i did and it worked for me.