SAU Community

United Boost 98 / E10 Fuel

benro2

Hey guys, I've just discovered that the St Marys United up the road from me has Boost 98 (didn't see it last time I was there... must have missed it), however I'm wondering about the effects of E10 on an "old" car? My car is pretty much dead stock however I will be running 10 psi soon. It'll be fine for that without anything done to the ECU, etc.?

I've done some searching in these forums and it seems that generally E10 is safe to use in the Skylines, but has anyone been running it for a few years? All good? Fuel consumption?

Also, would I be OK in running this using a PowerFC on a Supra running 18 psi boost? I know this is an SAU forum :D I'm asking more as a general PFC/high boost question - any problems with knock increase? Or should I just stick with a non-Ethanol fuel?

the shell v-power racing that used to be around was an ethanol blend, and i'm pretty sure the new bp ultimate is also an ethanol blend and people ran these without any issues. most people only seem to have issues on older cars and they find it starts making them run crap after a while. i put this down to the fact that ethanol blends have a cleaning effect and in a car with a lot of crap in the fuel tank, lines and filter can end up with this being broken down and ending up in the injectors. my advice would be that if you do plan on using it and haven't changed your fuel filter for a little while, do that first. then in 6 months time change it again.

i've been running e10 in my SSS pulsar (and other cars i have owned in that time too) for quite a few years now and have never had an issue.

• 3 weeks later...

I tried the United 100 octane and wasnt impressed. The car was tuned on Ultimate so I guess it has better knock protection.

Now Im running Southland e85, I got sick of having to adjust the timing for every different tank of 98.

I dont see the point of using E10 unless you have it tuned to suit. I tried it on my turbo commodore without a tune and i got considerably worse fuel consumption with no gain in power. You really need to advance the timing to make use of the ethanol in the fuel.

Ah, I was simply asking because the price of their 95 octane E10 was something like 15c/L cheaper than non-ethanol blend 95 octane fuel!

However, after speaking to a mechanic, I've decided to steer clear because there have been reports of it eating rubber seals and things. Probably not worth the risk for a few dollars...