SAU Community

Rb25det Exhaust Smoke

Raki_King

Hey guys,

I have recently finished an engine conversion from a 20de to a 25det in my r34, After driving it for about a week just coming off the dump pipe I put it into the workshop yesterday to have a full exhaust system installed, Anyways....I started the car first thing this morning and pulled out of my driveway and proceded to town, When I got home my sister informed me that the car was smoking in first gear, white smoke and she said a wee bit into second but not as bad. So I had a wee look around the car and found an oily residue inside the exhaust pipe, Im thinking turbo? after that I did a few searches here on SAU and have drawn a blank. Im guessing its the turbo but it still boosts as it should and apears to be working fine...

Any suggestions as to what I can do?

Cheers,

What does the smoke smell like?

If it smells like burnt oil, I'd say turbo - this smoke is usually blue though. If it goes away under boost, I'd say its not the turbo.

If it smells sweet, it could be headgasket - this smoke is usually thick and very white.

If it smells like unburnt fuel then it could be spark plugs, coils, injectors, something fuel related.

Some cars can blow a bit of smoke on cold startup - and it could be a myriad of things.

Do a compression test, that will rule out anything major like valves or piston rings.

After that I'd go to a performance shop and get them to put it on the dyno, see what your A:FRs are...

BTW, I didn't know RB20DEs came out in an R34!? Are you sure it wasn't an RB25DE?

It was definately a 20, A mate also has a 20 in his r34, Cheers for the help will start looking them through tomorrow. really hoping its a simple fix as I have already poured thousands into the car in the past month.

Ohk didn't know that!

From Wiki:

The RB20E engine was discontinued in the R34 base model (GT), and the RB20DE, after last being used in the R32 Skyline, was reintroduced in updated NEO guise

Another thing, it could be a small vacuum leak maybe? Did you forget the carbon canister or any of the vacuum lines when you did the conversion?

(not doubting ya or anything, just going through the possibilities)

Does it still drive fine? i.e. lost any power?

Im not exactally sure, I had a mate do the entire conversion for me, will have a look in the morning, where would this canister be in the engine bay? Also it was a complete engine swap, the turbo, oil lines etc were already in place.

Edited by Raki_King

The carbon canister has rubber lines coming out of the firewall, dunno if they're on the intake or exhaust side but have a look around (and under the car) for any hoses/lines that aren't connected. The actual carbon canister is in the rear of the car I'm pretty sure, you'll just see the lines.