SAU Community

Help Anyone Know A Good Paint Repair Shop Who Can Do R35 Super Silver?

Bumped a damn pole parking at work, small dent & sctrach about a foot big down left side rear.

My R35 is super siliver paint I heard this was a harder one to get fixed or get someone who knows what they are doing with this paint?

Anyone recommend a good paint shop that can do Nissan Super silver who you trust?

Thanks for the help guys

Sam

I think it may be Col Shipstone smash repairs. Though I am sure they will charge a premium. If an insurance job though, I would go with the Nissan recommended even if it is JDM. If a cash job though, maybe try any euro accredited mob

the only place to have it done is

Exclusive Body Werks in Sydney.

If you cant get the car to thses guys then i would find a high end panel shop that does Porsche, Ferrari, Aston etc etc as these guys will have the experience to do a paint job like super silver.

Dont go near your regular panel shope that do toyota, nissan, ford etc...

And if you go with a Nissan recommended repairer do your research on them first - eg find out of they have done this type of paint before.

You don’t need waist money at a high end panel shop, any good painter - panel shop with a clean spray booth would be able to match it and get a good finish.

It’s not magic, just common sense, the only this you end up with at a high end panel shop is them trying to tell you it’s a prestige car and cost more to paint which is crap.

If you where in Sydney I could recommend a lot of good shops that would be able to do it and not charge silly money. But not sure of any in QLD but dont go and waist your money

You don’t need waist money at a high end panel shop, any good painter - panel shop with a clean spray booth would be able to match it and get a good finish.

It’s not magic, just common sense, the only this you end up with at a high end panel shop is them trying to tell you it’s a prestige car and cost more to paint which is crap.

If you where in Sydney I could recommend a lot of good shops that would be able to do it and not charge silly money. But not sure of any in QLD but dont go and waist your money

Truth.

If you were in Sydney, I'd say come see me and I'd take care of you.

You don't need waist money at a high end panel shop, any good painter - panel shop with a clean spray booth would be able to match it and get a good finish.

It's not magic, just common sense, the only this you end up with at a high end panel shop is them trying to tell you it's a prestige car and cost more to paint which is crap.

Now, that is a bold statement by someone who drives a 15 year old car. I don't mean to me rude, but there is a bit more to a good paint finish on a premium car than you seem to think.

If he takes your off the cuff advice, he sure deserves what's coming to him.

Edited by GT-Ricer

Thanks for the help guys.

Yeah I loved the idea of Super silver but damn I hope a small dent doesn't cost me the earth to fix. I'll look up Col Shipstone smash repairs in Brisbane see if I can find them and see if they are setup to do Super silver next week.

Otherwise perhaps my local garage might be able to find out from Nissan dealer in QLD where else is good for a paint repair.

cheers

Sam

Now, that is a bold statement by someone who drives a 15 year old car. I don't mean to me rude, but there is a bit more to a good paint finish on a premium car than you seem to think.

If he takes your off the cuff advice, he sure deserves what's coming to him.

Hi GT-ricer

Its NOT bold statement, ITS THE TRUTH!. Sounds like youre the type of person that the top end panel like to rip off.

I may drive a 20 year old car but you should have checked some post about me before you commented, my old GTR is one of the best R32 in Australia has won many car shows, and took out Best R32 GTR at the Skylines Australia 20th Anniversary car show last year. I have rebuilt the whole car and done a bare metal respray so I think I know what a premium paint job looks like, and what needs to be done to get a good paint finish. Also Im a panel beater by trade and work as an assessor for Just Car Insurance and have had no trouble having R35 GTR repaired in Sydney and not at top end panel shops.

Like I said in my first post its not magic, its common sense, if you find a panel shop that is clean, has a new type spray booth and have a chat to the painter who works there, check out the way they prep the cars before painting an find out how often they clean and service they spray booth, there is no doubt they could do the finish as good as factory, Oh and Im not being a smarty but even on a good supercar, or what people call prestige cars I still pick faults in there paint job.

But its up to you at the end of the day where you take it and who you want to listen too.

Hi GT-ricer

Its NOT bold statement, ITS THE TRUTH!. Sounds like youre the type of person that the top end panel like to rip off.

I may drive a 20 year old car but you should have checked some post about me before you commented, my old GTR is one of the best R32 in Australia has won many car shows, and took out Best R32 GTR at the Skylines Australia 20th Anniversary car show last year. I have rebuilt the whole car and done a bare metal respray so I think I know what a premium paint job looks like, and what needs to be done to get a good paint finish. Also Im a panel beater by trade and work as an assessor for Just Car Insurance and have had no trouble having R35 GTR repaired in Sydney and not at top end panel shops.

Like I said in my first post its not magic, its common sense, if you find a panel shop that is clean, has a new type spray booth and have a chat to the painter who works there, check out the way they prep the cars before painting an find out how often they clean and service they spray booth, there is no doubt they could do the finish as good as factory, Oh and Im not being a smarty but even on a good supercar, or what people call prestige cars I still pick faults in there paint job.

But its up to you at the end of the day where you take it and who you want to listen too.

I meant no offence. I am certainly not the type of person who likes to get ripped off by anybody but I would only take my car to Perfect Auto Body in Sydney, who are the only factory approved shop equipped to rebuild the car to factory specs, respray the whole side, front to rear if you only get a door scratched and to apply the hard ceramic clear coat on a Mercedes. Try doing that in a small panel shop or in your garage with a "graffiti special" Repco can of Duco.

I am sure that you know how to look after your 20 year old car and respray it the traditional way, as it should be done, with unlimited time on your hands and no expense spared as it is your baby.

However, the modern paint process, especially with the Premium Silver, is not as straight forward as bare metal re-spray, with 10 coats and wet paper buff in between until all orange peel is gone and

the paint is totally flat and 1mm thick!. I am sure that you could respray his car, given enough time and effort, but can the bloke down the road match the factory finish on Premium Silver? Very unlikely.

I have seen enough metallic grey/silver cars on the road with every door a different shade of silver.

Edited by GT-Ricer

I meant no offence. I am certainly not the type of person who likes to get ripped off by anybody but I would only take my car to Perfect Auto Body in Sydney, who are the only factory approved shop equipped to rebuild the car to factory specs, respray the whole side, front to rear if you only get a door scratched and to apply the hard ceramic clear coat on a Mercedes. Try doing that in a small panel shop or in your garage with a "graffiti special" Repco can of Duco.

I am sure that you know how to look after your 20 year old car and respray it the traditional way, as it should be done, with unlimited time on your hands and no expense spared as it is your baby.

However, the modern paint process, especially with the Premium Silver, is not as straight forward as bare metal re-spray, with 10 coats and wet paper buff in between until all orange peel is gone and

the paint is totally flat and 1mm thick!. I am sure that you could respray his car, given enough time and effort, but can the bloke down the road match the factory finish on Premium Silver? Very unlikely.

I have seen enough metallic grey/silver cars on the road with every door a different shade of silver.

I can see where you are coming from but your set in your ways and thats fine, As an insurance assessor i know alot of panel shops in Sydney, im not saying every shop is good and can to it theres alot that cant or to take it to a back yard block or small panel shop. There are some great repair shops in Sydney that dont charge double the price to do a job on a prestige car like the top end shops. Just cause they charge double the price dosnt means their quality is twice as good. Every one can have there own thoughts on this thats fine and people always says this shop is good blah blah blah, but from what i see and assess every day i know who in Sydney is able to repair what at a good price.

Lets get back to the topic and find someone in QLD to fix this mans car.

• 3 weeks later...

I'd suggest you ring Nissan and ask them where to get the car fixed (as per the Owners Manual), as they have specific Authorised Repairers, that they want you to use, so the job is done right, not just done.

The R35 GTR is not your average car, Nissan want you to be VERY careful on what you get done to the car and how it is repaired/fixed. Being that it's their "FIRST Supercar", they are currently treating them with Kid Gloves and being VERY fastidious about each car. (read the Owners Manual.....it will give you Nightmares for weeks :ermm:) (re: Warranty etc etc)

• 5 months later...

Hi GTR32G:

I am also in the middle of finding a good spray painter, but unfortunately i am also in Brisbane.

Is there anyone that u could recommend in Brisbane? and how much are they normally for a full respray with pearl paint?

and what sort of questions should i be asking and things i should be aware of?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Web

Shipstones has been recommended by Nissan and most of the car guys I know in Brisbane. They do charge a premium but I've been told their work is good.

I put a small dent in the bonnet of mine while waxing it. The wax gave way while I was polishing it and my elbow came in contact with the bonnet. I cried a little on the inside at the time. I took it out to Shipstones and they wanted to remove the bonnet, light assembly, and respray the whole front. I don't care how good someone is with paint they can never get the finish back to original form.

While I was down at Gavin Woods Autotech having some work done on my R32 he recommended I look at paintless dent removal. I spoke to a few guys here in Brisbane who have recommended some people. They are coming out to do it next week and I'll keep you informed how it goes.

I had the dent in the bonnet removed this morning by Mark from Un-Dint It and he did a great job. Took about 30 minutes to "massage" it out. You wouldn't even know it was there now. Top job!! Would highly recommend them to anyone that has a minor dent. Sorry I didn't take any before or after photos but I couldn't get an angle where the dent was visible in a photo.