SAU Community

Anyone Using Bosch Platinum Sparkies In 2010?

Is anyone using any Bosch Platinums in their current setups? All I see is references to NGK plugs, and to go copper because it's cheaper and just change em out more often.

The price I paid for my Bosch Platinum six pack was $38. That was on par and even cheaper than some of the NGK copper plugs there. I'm sure someones going to post here saying just use NGKs, but I'm trying to find anyone who is actually using Bosch ones.

Forgetting the price, wouldn't a platinum plug be better than a copper one?

The FR7DPX plugs are the Platinum version of the FR7DCX ones. They cross reference with these NGK plugs...

BCPR6ES -11

BCPR6E-11

BCP6ES -11

BCP6E-11

BKR6E-N-11

BKR6ES -11

BKR6E-11

BK6E-11

Edited by KrazyKong

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The main issue with most platinum plugs is they run at a 1.1 gap, as you can see from the cross reference numbers with NGK.

This gap size on high boost applications or non perfect ignition systems causes missfires so people run a smaller gap. However gapping Iridium's or Platinum's is not recommended as it can damage them and getting them in the correct pre gap size is sometimes difficult or not available. Also most Platinum NGK plugs cost a hell of a lot more than $6.33 each, so another reason why people don't bother.

Funny this post coming up only two days after I changed my plugs, I used NGK platinum PFR 6G 11 these were exactly the same type as the ones I removed they cost $126.00, the ones I removed looked to be origional (83000ks -- 98 R34GTT)

The car runs remarkably better than before the change- and it wasn't running badly before.

I did however wonder about the BOSCH plugs as they were so much cheaper and BOSCH used to have a reasonably good rep however I had no knowledge of suitability and chickened into buying the NGKs.

I was however informed by someone who knows and owns a well respected workshop that Nissans can be known to not be happy sometimes if on iridiums.

The main issue with most platinum plugs is they run at a 1.1 gap, as you can see from the cross reference numbers with NGK.

This gap size on high boost applications or non perfect ignition systems causes missfires so people run a smaller gap. However gapping Iridium's or Platinum's is not recommended as it can damage them and getting them in the correct pre gap size is sometimes difficult or not available. Also most Platinum NGK plugs cost a hell of a lot more than $6.33 each, so another reason why people don't bother.

So if I'm able to gap them without damaging them, then for $6.33 I got a good deal for some Platinum plugs. From memory the NGK Plats were over $21 each, so I can understand why alot of peeps say don't bother with them. Not sure what the Iridiums cost, but compared to Bosch's prices, the NGK ones are ridiculously expensive. One of the more known dyno places on the Gold Coast also mentioned to use Bosch Platinums.

I can't imagine the Bosch Platinums are any worse than an NGK copper plug. Sounds like the difference is in the gap, and the plats being more prone to damage when gapping them.

Funny this post coming up only two days after I changed my plugs, I used NGK platinum PFR 6G 11 these were exactly the same type as the ones I removed they cost $126.00, the ones I removed looked to be origional (83000ks -- 98 R34GTT)

The car runs remarkably better than before the change- and it wasn't running badly before.

I did however wonder about the BOSCH plugs as they were so much cheaper and BOSCH used to have a reasonably good rep however I had no knowledge of suitability and chickened into buying the NGKs.

I was however informed by someone who knows and owns a well respected workshop that Nissans can be known to not be happy sometimes if on iridiums.

I got the Bosch Platinum Plus series. Then, there's the Double Platinums, then the top of the line Fusions. Will know soon enough how the car runs with them installed. I'm not sure what's in there currently, but will have a look before doing all the plug replacements.

I basically got Platinum plugs for the price of NGK coppers. I don't know much about Bosch's spark plug reputation, but I was always under the thought that their Plat plugs were very good ones.

So if I'm able to gap them without damaging them, then for $6.33 I got a good deal for some Platinum plugs. From memory the NGK Plats were over $21 each, so I can understand why alot of peeps say don't bother with them. Not sure what the Iridiums cost, but compared to Bosch's prices, the NGK ones are ridiculously expensive. One of the more known dyno places on the Gold Coast also mentioned to use Bosch Platinums.

I can't imagine the Bosch Platinums are any worse than an NGK copper plug. Sounds like the difference is in the gap, and the plats being more prone to damage when gapping them.

I got the Bosch Platinum Plus series. Then, there's the Double Platinums, then the top of the line Fusions. Will know soon enough how the car runs with them installed. I'm not sure what's in there currently, but will have a look before doing all the plug replacements.

I basically got Platinum plugs for the price of NGK coppers. I don't know much about Bosch's spark plug reputation, but I was always under the thought that their Plat plugs were very good ones.

:) It would be excellent if you could post how you go with the Bosch it could save people a bit of cash if it's all good.

One thing I noticed--every place I went to asked me what car the plugs were for even though I asked for them by name and part No , when I replied "a Skyline" the response was AAAAHHHH---a Skyline and a $$$$$$$ feral gleam appeared in the attendants eyes

Honestly I used to always ask what car the spark plugs were for, it prevented problems if a customer was qouted a part number just given to them or if they accidentally qouted a wrong part number. So many times I had young guys coming in qouting Skyline Iridium/Platinum part numbers (because that is what the NGK/Bosch books list) and saying there car kept missfiring so they were replacing the plugs. I would usually give them 0.8 gapped coppers and told them to come back if it kept spitting and the next time I saw them they thanked me for fixing the problem.

If using a stock old and worn ignition system and running non factory boost, 9/10 the 1.1 gap is too much and not every one wants to fork out $500+ on new coilpacks. If your ignition system is in good nick and has no problems running a 1.1mm gap on the desired boost setting and you have no problem paying a little bit more for platinums/iridiums then go for it. The main problem is most modified Skylines foul plugs quite quickly compared to a normal stock car, so paying a little bit extra every time on plugs is usually not the best choice for most people.

Edited by PM-R33

its probably an out-dated idea, or just a stigma, but it has been said that ngk are better for japanese turbo-d engines.

anyways, there's always been a huge debate about iridiums vs coppers. platinums fit somewhere in the middle there. some people find that coppers only last a few redlines before melting, some find that they're stuffed after 5000km, some find they're still good at 40000kms; some find that iridiums last the predicted 100000km and more, some find they last only 5000km, some find them stuffed after 5000km (all of this from the link below). its a bit like oil, you have to find the right one for your car and make jugement based on your car.

its pretty hard to safely gap platinums and iridiums because the fine tips can be (and usually are) scratched in the process, removing the reason you payed all the money for the plugs in the first place: the precious metal.

i decided to start with coppers as 1. a base point and 2. $150 on plugs seems like a lot when a lot of people say that $27 worth of copper is as good. i put in bkr6e-11's and i occasionally get a miss on idle, so i'll go to bkr6e's next (ie: the 0.8mm gapped plugs). tho that miss is probably aac or coilpacks or something else on the list.

this thread has almost everything you need to know about spark plugs: http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/Sp...gs-t104405.html

an epic read but worth it

in any case, if you're using platinums for 6 at $38 and it works well then it sounds like a pretty sweet set up to me

Edited by Galois

I stumbled across these bosch plugs in SCA and thought wow...cheap as, if you wait for the sale next week its 32$ for 6..

However looking at them the tip is alot different to NGKs... if you think NGK has a fine tip , the bosch plugs have an extremely fine tip thats incased in what looks like plastic, or whatever the white stuff is on spark plugs...there is VERY little platinum in them which gives me doubt as to how long they would last...And how fat the spark would be, my guess is not very..

Bosch usually make respectble products and at 32$ its worth a shot..

Just noticed the Bosch fusions which are "platinum and iridium infused" are 99$ a 6 pack...a friendly shop will give you NGKs for this...

Edited by Arthur T3

I use platinum never had a problem @ stage one no need to re gap been in there coming on 4 years @ 300 bhp

just been really impressed with them and how long they last

However im sure they were NKG platinum tipped i did read somewhere that platinum was recommend for the Skyline but i dont no how true that is

Edited by jjskyline79

If your after power forget the platinum iridium stuff. Coppers are always preferred in excess of 300-odd fwhp as the coils don't have enough energy to jump the spark, if your running a twin power or cdi unit then you can get the best of both worlds and run iridium or platinum..

As suprising as it is the manufactures are trying to force us across to iridium etc as they make more money we do alot of dirt bike riding and ofetn the stuborn bike in the paddock is the one with ngk has "up-specced" irriduim instead of the trusty copper :yes:... we whack in a b9es or similar in and presto.... new bike.

If its close to stock run exotic plugs if your after power and only have split fires etc then run coppers.

The thing is a lot of people don't realise what the difference between copper, platium, iridium is. "Ohh i have Platinum spark plugs, it must make 20 more HP".

The fact is the reasoning behind using precious metals in spark plugs is to prolong the life of the tip of the plug so it can last so many more km's. We take it for granted how easy RB engines are at changing spark plugs and that most of us can do it ourselves. For the majority of modern cars, changing spark plugs isn't as simple as a 5 minute job. Then add to the fact most people pay dealerships to service cars and pay labour for some one to install plugs. This therefore makes it obvious to put in spark plugs that last a long amount of time.

The only reasoning that a platinum or iridium plug can sometimes make more power than a copper plug is the gap, has bugger all to do with the metal in the tip. Most people use a .8 gap in a copper plug, most iridum/platinum plugs use a 1.1 gap. It is this gap difference that creates the better burn, not the metal in the tip.

It all comes down to the ignition systems strength and the gap size. These are the two most important factors in determining spark plugs for an RB.

If for example you had a WRX where changing plugs is an absolute pain the ass, then go platinums :yes:

Edited by PM-R33

Paul ,your saying its the gap that makes the difference,but isnt it true that the coppers although not as powerful, have a fatter spark than the platinum...that was the reason i got em, plus they were 2 bucks each...

I tested the BP6res when i got them...(there actually standard fitment for RB20s i believe) and they were gapped at 0.9....

Interesting read Paul. I think for the price of the Bosch Platinums, it's worth a shot at trying them. If some folks on here have reported only getting 5000kms to a pair of NGK coppers, even if I only get 5000kms with the Bosch plugs, it's not a loss. I'm quietly confident they will go well, and if they need gapping to 0.8 from 1.1 then I'll do it with care as to not damage them.

One advantage the Bosch plugs have over the NGK ones are the tip isn't extended from the porcelain plug. It's embedded in it and flush as well. So it would seem by looking at them, it would be hard if being careful to damage them. But only trying will I know for sure.

Not sure if you guys are reffering to me, but if so the name is Phil, not Paul lol.

But yeah at the price you paid for them than bargain. Hopefully your ignition system will handle the 1.1 gap on the boost that you are running. In theory you want to run the biggest gap that your ignition system can handle.

The 5000km change over of copper plugs isn't so much the fact that copper plugs don't last long, its because most of our cars are modified and usually run rich, this in turn makes the spark plugs foul up, regardless what they are made from.

Edited by PM-R33