SAU Community

Nissan Sound Control Exhaust

Bis-e Bee

I've been meaning to do it for so long now but I have finally unbolted the box on the back of my muffler to have a look.

Some dodgy photo's attached..

Seems to be a cable pulley system, and you should hear the exhaust when the system is open wow! (dodgy audio attached too).

Anyway, the switch in the cockpit (Sport / Silent) has obviously been disconnected somehow. The cable that runs out of the back of the muffler box runs into the side of the car behind the tyre. I have not pulled the box inside the wagon cabin out but I assume the system leads into that area.

Does anyone have an inkling of how the compliancers or perhaps someone in japan, decommissioned the system? I would like to get the system going again perferably with the use of the switch in the cabin so I can choose what mode it runs in.

Any information greatly appreciated, now I have heard how awesome the difference is I'm going to have to rectify this issue promptly :P

post-59561-1272857899_thumb.jpg

post-59561-1272857950_thumb.jpg

a mate of mine has the remnents of his system from his 33

there is a box in the back that the cable runs to it that is controlled elecronically from the switch up front

i dont have much more info for you but it was available on 33's too so you may have some more luck finding info on that

Thanks for that info pipster, I did a scour of the whole site and it appears the skyline version may have had a different part number on the side of the tip.

As per a post from 12 months ago the part number on my one is B01000-AQ825.

The look of the two pipes going into the muffler is slightly different, however the rest of the system in the cabin may be simliar or very similiar.

I might have to do some asking around at some exhaust places and see what light they may be able to shed on the system.

Woo hoo, that was very easily fixed :)

Removed one bolt and unclipped the cover underneath the steering wheel, to my surprise and fortunate luck the cabling and everything was untouched and just simply unplugged from the switches. I have now connected the exhaust switch up and the system is fully operational, I also connected the headlight angel adjuster (?) switch, but have not yet tested that.

I noticed a few other connectors not connected to anything (i assume most of them are for options that my car was not fitted with hence they are not connected to anything), there was also a black wire that looks like it had been cut, can't see what it went to so not sure if that was part of the immobiliser or something else that has been severed.

I've attached some pictures so if anyone can advise what the cables that don't go anywhere are for, or if there is anything else that has been disconnected that may be worth my while connecting let me know.

I have also posted up some short video's of the system in operation, not crash hot but better than nothing :thumbsup:

Video's on my tpg webspace

http://users.tpg.com.au/adslck0a/DSCF5682.AVI

http://users.tpg.com.au/adslck0a/DSCF5683.AVI

Anyway, time to take it for a decent drive and see how she sounds ;)

post-59561-1272947529_thumb.jpg

post-59561-1272947554_thumb.jpg

post-59561-1272947573_thumb.jpg

post-59561-1272947592_thumb.jpg

post-59561-1272947617_thumb.jpg

post-59561-1272947641_thumb.jpg

post-59561-1272947668_thumb.jpg

That switch with the 1 2 3 is for the parking guide mounted on the LHS of the front bar. I have one on my 25G but no switch.

Nah, it is the headlight height adjustment on an M35.

Yes, the photo of the switches was pretty crap :D

I'll have to do another one.

I've got some shots of the rest of the exhaust mechanism, was in the left hand panel in the boot underneath the tv box. Just two shots, one showing the system closed and the other one open. Everything seems to work 100% with the system and it definatly gives a growl at lower revs, definatly worthwhile hooking it up... should have done it 12 months ago!

I also went crazy and took photo's of the contents of the right hand panel, under the drivers seat and under the passener seat this afteroon. I'll post these up in the M35 Info thread.

post-59561-1272959434_thumb.jpg

post-59561-1272959456_thumb.jpg

Nah, it is the headlight height adjustment on an M35.

Oh yes, that is correct and as it is now dark I can confirm that the switch now operates and the headlights do height adjust.

Can anyone confirm what the best height is for standard beam? I know there is a test you do but I can't remember!

I've still got to fix my airbag warning light Cam, did your mate ever have any luck with his? I did provide the error code a while back that nissan kindly gave me, but they have been pretty useless. Might be time to get in touch with someone in japan to see if they can shed any light on what needs to be checked/fixed.

Given you have a TV in your car I would guess the cut black wire is to override the TV cut out. If it is this wire there will be about 3 wires inside the black outer.

Cheers

Andy

Given you have a TV in your car I would guess the cut black wire is to override the TV cut out. If it is this wire there will be about 3 wires inside the black outer.

Cheers

Andy

Andy,

Not sure that is it, only appears to be one wire in the casing and it appears to run up to the top right hand side next to the steering wheel. There are traces in two spots I have found now of what would appear to be adhesive, I assume they were "extra's" that were disconnected and removed from the car at some point.

I'll do some more snooping next time I decide to poke around.

Andy,

Not sure that is it, only appears to be one wire in the casing and it appears to run up to the top right hand side next to the steering wheel. There are traces in two spots I have found now of what would appear to be adhesive, I assume they were "extra's" that were disconnected and removed from the car at some point.

I'll do some more snooping next time I decide to poke around.

have a look behind the DVD rom for a bridge fitted in the loom on the right side of the unit. You will need to remove the glove box to do this.

Cheers

Andy

Ive got the same system installed, flicking the switch does operate the motor for me but it doesnt result in any chance in exhaust note, I got a sibling to toggle the switch for me while I watched the pulley and couldnt see anything change on it, however the tension in the cable is very different between Sport and Silent modes.

'Sport'

post-69799-1273295486_thumb.jpg

'Silent'

post-69799-1273295548_thumb.jpg

I also managed to snap off two of the bolts when removing the little cage around the pulley system at the exhaust end :P

post-69799-1273295694_thumb.jpg

Ive given the pulley a blast with CRC incase its siezed up.. I'll let it sit and have a play with it again a bit later. Yes, I realise its maybe not the best idea to spray a flamable liquid around something next to the exhaust so I'll wipe it over with a damp cloth before I take it anywhere next :P

Ive got the same system installed, flicking the switch does operate the motor for me but it doesnt result in any chance in exhaust note, I got a sibling to toggle the switch for me while I watched the pulley and couldnt see anything change on it, however the tension in the cable is very different between Sport and Silent modes.

'Sport'

post-69799-1273295486_thumb.jpg

'Silent'

post-69799-1273295548_thumb.jpg

I also managed to snap off two of the bolts when removing the little cage around the pulley system at the exhaust end :)

post-69799-1273295694_thumb.jpg

Ive given the pulley a blast with CRC incase its siezed up.. I'll let it sit and have a play with it again a bit later. Yes, I realise its maybe not the best idea to spray a flamable liquid around something next to the exhaust so I'll wipe it over with a damp cloth before I take it anywhere next :blush:

Dunc,

The second shot of the unit in the car does not look correct, looks like the cable is not correctly wound around the wheel thing.

Have a look at my shots and you will see what I mean, maybe this is the issue... the motor is turning the wheel but the cable is not correctly pushing back through which in turn closes the butterfly switch that puts it into silent mode.

Dunc,

The second shot of the unit in the car does not look correct, looks like the cable is not correctly wound around the wheel thing.

Have a look at my shots and you will see what I mean, maybe this is the issue... the motor is turning the wheel but the cable is not correctly pushing back through which in turn closes the butterfly switch that puts it into silent mode.

Yeah I was thinking about that tonight whilst I was at dinner - Not entirely sure how the nuts around the pulley itself work, but Im guessing potentially they could be used to 'lock' the cable in place if over tightened? The unit looks the same as yours though. Will have to play with it some more

post-69799-1273322846_thumb.jpg

Yeah I was thinking about that tonight whilst I was at dinner - Not entirely sure how the nuts around the pulley itself work, but Im guessing potentially they could be used to 'lock' the cable in place if over tightened? The unit looks the same as yours though. Will have to play with it some more

post-69799-1273322846_thumb.jpg

The muffler side of things are fine, the problem is definatly the way the cable is wrapped around the motor in the back of the cabin. Just looks like maybe it has become unhooked and is not working correctly now.

If you have too much hassle just give me a hollar but the cable should only have one correct way to go so hopefully once you get that the way it should be all will be functioning and the neighbours will be happy at 5am when you are driving lol

Haha. Very nice to re-enable factory features. I installed a similar system on my old GTI-R. Used an Apexi ECV (exhaust control valve) just after the car. It's basically a butterfly in the exhaust. Cuts power hugely, but makes it silent. It looks like Nissan's system is a bit nicer and bypasses the muffler or something. I hooked my old ECV up to a cruise control motor from a 300ZX, then I could operate it from the dash :wub: Was a bit ghetto though, because it was a vacuum pump and you could hear it buzzing away under the seat when you closed the ECV. Plus, because it was vacuum it would slowly open eveyr 20 mins and would automatically open when you shut the engine off. Was good fun though :) Made a huge difference to the exhaust sound

Haha. Very nice to re-enable factory features. I installed a similar system on my old GTI-R. Used an Apexi ECV (exhaust control valve) just after the car. It's basically a butterfly in the exhaust. Cuts power hugely, but makes it silent. It looks like Nissan's system is a bit nicer and bypasses the muffler or something. I hooked my old ECV up to a cruise control motor from a 300ZX, then I could operate it from the dash :P Was a bit ghetto though, because it was a vacuum pump and you could hear it buzzing away under the seat when you closed the ECV. Plus, because it was vacuum it would slowly open eveyr 20 mins and would automatically open when you shut the engine off. Was good fun though :P Made a huge difference to the exhaust sound

The switch does not bypass the muffler but simply takes a more direct straight through the centre type of path via a different piping into the back of the muffler, in the silent mode it can only take one pipe into the muffler and then must bonce around in the muffler quiet a bit as it makes it a lot quieter.

I am definatly ejoying the sports mode, gets a little droney on the freeway but nothing excessive but when you give it a boot she sounds sweet :D

awesome work dude!

i told you to bring it over to my place 1 year ago for me to look at lol

good you got it all working. i love fixing factory options that compliance disable. ohh and everyones FYI, the timing circuit for the cold pack are in all the cars. my mirrors just plugged in with the switch etc.........