SAU Community

Cover Up Holes In The Firewall?

Hi all,

I am going to be removing the heater core/complete fan assembly from my R34 GT-R and have seen that there will be four holes that will be left in my firewall...

What would be a good way to cover up these holes? Ie - Metal plates, heat shield material etc etc...? :3some:

I have attached a pic for your reference.

Thanks for any help/info!

post-38738-1273550460_thumb.jpg

what i would do :

use rubber bungs for the small round holes

then get 2 pieces of alloy cut to the oval shape of the larger hole - bolt them together through the opening so that it can be removed later. using a small amount of foam or rubber to act as a seal to the panel

buy rubber bungs from clark rubber, for the oval hole get a bigger bung, it will form to shape, exactly what ive done. works a charm

These methods sound good! Is it possible to get a photo of your setup? Would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

So I went to my local Clark Rubber store and found that they actually had nothing even close that would actually plug up/seal the holes in the firewall... :D

Any other ideas?

Cheers,

billet specialties and companies alike make bulkheads that u can put on either side of the holes and use for putting wiring/hoses thru. they look good but if ununsed they are pointless obviously.

Get the ovals and circle traced and cut out of aluminium sheet, liquid nails in place to seal. Will be nice an neat. (I've even sprayed them lightly with bayside Blue :)

post-1182-1274237171_thumb.jpg

Get the ovals and circle traced and cut out of aluminium sheet, liquid nails in place to seal. Will be nice an neat. (I've even sprayed them lightly with bayside Blue :D

post-1182-1274237171_thumb.jpg

Nice job with the pic edit! See now THATs the sort of setup im after!!! Although i've never heard of 'liquid nails'... how do they work to seal the plates up?

Cheers

Nice job with the pic edit! See now THATs the sort of setup im after!!! Although i've never heard of 'liquid nails'... how do they work to seal the plates up?

Cheers

http://www.selleys.com.au/Building-Constru...es/default.aspx

like silicone but better :D

just thinly apply to the overlap of the aluminium and stick in place over the lip of the firewall holes, will be very neat :cool:

If you can get the aluminium sheet cut as close as possible to the edge of the lipped section it will be fairly seemless.

What are you trying to acheive? Less road noise? Heat? smell?

If you just want to cover up the hole for simple reasons, use sound deadening mats... just cut and paste over the hole..

For more hardcore stuff you really should weld plates to it...

Actually, having said that you can also use thermal mats, (usually you stick this stuff around your turbo lines).. it will be pricey though.

Yeah thats not a bad idea too... hehe got a few options now. :D

Although im heading towards aluminum plates, but now have to decide whether i want to weld them or use liquid nails/sikaflex.

Cheers,

Glen

If you use sikaflex, make sure you get the heat tolerant one. There's one specifically for high temp applications @ bunnings.

Okay cool, will remember to look out for this.

Cheers,

Glen

If you use sikaflex, make sure you get the heat tolerant one. There's one specifically for high temp applications @ bunnings.

Theres quite a few different sikaflex's... :blink: so which one exactly is the high temp application one that I should use?

http://www.sika.com.au/cmi/auto_products_adh.htm

Cheers,