SAU Community

All You P1/p2 Nsw V Drivers

Hi All,

Saw a thread yesterday about P-Plate V Owners and I was also told last week by a mate that the V is now banned for P-Platers. So I did some enquiries this morning and on the NSW RTA wesbite it states that the 350Z (which was already on the list) and other import variants are now banned including infiniti G35, V35 skyline 350GT and so forth. I bought my V last year and was assured by the NSW RTA that it was definitely not on the prohibited list and it was legal to drive and that I wouldnt have a problem if it was to be put on the list at a later date.

So I called up the RTA this morning and after speaking to 2 different people all they could tell me was that I needed to fill in a Application for Exemption which is $26. They said if it gets declined you don't need to sell it but pretty much I can just look at it. It is illegal for me to drive it now without this exemption.

Has anyone applied for this exemption and had any luck?

I really don't want to sell my car. This is a bit retarded considering I got assurance from the RTA before I bought my car that I wouldn't have a problem in the future. Maybe I was just a bit too eager to buy the V though.

I would recommend trying to find some sort of article which shows when the 350Z and others became illegal. If you can show teh car was bought by you for use by you before this day, hopefully the excemption should be sweet.

This though throws up a massive problem for people who don't have the cars in their own name, ie parents names for whatever reason.

Just making assumptions though.

This is a bit retarded considering I got assurance from the RTA before I bought my car that I wouldn't have a problem in the future. Maybe I was just a bit too eager to buy the V though.

Did you get it in writing? It would be instant exemption if you had.

Lesson = Always get it in writing :bunny:

Hey Mate,

Car is under my name not under my parents. Purchased it last year November some time. But on their RTA website theres the exemption 2009 and without the V on it. Then the 2010 April exemption list which is the new one I am referring too. This has the V on it.

The RTA will have on file that I transferred the ownership and registration in November and then they should be able to go by that right?

Thanks mate, hopefully everything will turn out good. Definitely not going to sell the V.

Will let you know how I go.

Also, another thought came up. If I am now not legal to drive this car since April. That would mean my insurance is also void right?

Does that mean I can get reimbursed for the insurance up since April? That would then mean that I am breaching a condition of my loan by not having comprehensive insurance.

Ahhh.. Headache :bunny:

Like I said in the other thread, you will need to get an exemption if you are on your P's.

Speak to the RTA. Generally you are protected from retroactive regulatory changes as these unfairly affect people who acted on the best advice at the time.

Download the exemption form and fill it in. Let us know how you go.

An exemption may be granted to a:

* person who can demonstrate that an exemption is required for employment purposes,

* country driver who requires the use of eight or more cylinder Four Wheel Drive (4WD V8) vehicles if there is no practical alternatives

* who can prove they owned the prohibited vehicle prior to 11 July 2005 or before an interstate/overseas licence transfer (attach proof of acquisition). Note, only a provisional who has never held a NSW licence before his/her licence transfer can apply for this exemption

* person who can demonstrate any other exceptional circumstance, (attach any information necessary to support your exemption request)

Note: NSW provisional licences issued prior to 11 July 2005 were not conditioned. However, the condition will be applied if the provisional driver is disqualified for an offence committed on or after 11 July 2005. In these instances, the provisional holder may be granted an exemption if they can prove direct ownership of their current vehicle at the time of the offence that led to the disqualification (attach proof of acquisition).

An exemption from the prohibited vehicle condition will not be granted simply on the basis that the only vehicle available in a household is a prohibited vehicle.

If your application is for employment purposes, you must attach a statement on a business letterhead signed by your employer supporting your application..

Edited by MadMike

But on their RTA website theres the exemption 2009 and without the V on it. Then the 2010 April exemption list which is the new one I am referring too. This has the V on it.

Can you post links to this lists?

Aaah s**t mines under the parents name.... I'm gonna have problems now though... Bought mine and had it before I became illegal... Rta and expemtion app for me the. Hopefully I get it...not sure on what they mark on but feeling my chances are low.

Your safe on this mate,

You registration of ownership comes before the reg changes, this can be easily proven.

Your insurance is valid as long as you dont drive the car WITHOUT an exemption.

Eg it is valid if its nicked from your driveway etc. or if you drive it WITH an exemption.

So go apply for your paper work and go back to relaxing

When I was down in Sydney, I checked with about 6 different cop shops to make sure that my brother can drive it.

I informed them that its a 3.5 V6. To which they said that it was fine. I proceeded to inform them that it had 280HP. And all that they wanted to know was whether it was FI or not. When I said no, they said then a p-plater can drive it. I even had a few coppers come out of the cop shop and onto the street to check it out.

I remember this clearly because I was talking to my brother afterwards, and he was saying that he can drive a S15 turbo w/ what 170kw, but he can drive my car.

I think that the idea of simply restricting any FI car is stupid, but then again up here in QLD P platers cant drive a car with more than 200kw.

A p plater can get a new commonwhore and do more damage to themselves in that then an s13 (Im sticking to silvias because I dont want to offend anyones skyline :) )

Once I left Sydney, my brother found out that according to the legothe 350z and any imported variants are not p plate legal.

Therefore, a plater can't drive a 250GT but can get an aurion. really rta? REALLY!?

ANyways, that was my little rant. I despise the RTA.

RTA is crap... people works there is shit. Low efficiency with fked up attitude.

I remember once I was there to sell my girlfriends car. When I got there for the paper work, I took the ticket and wait.

When my waiting number is up, I ask them to get the disposal notice done, then my new buyer's transaction.

But after that staff do the first half... she asked us to get another ticket for another half transaction.

luckily we take two tickets accidently or else we need to wait all over again. WTF!!!???!!

Then last time I got there and wait for half an hour to pay my half year rego.

The staff said that they can't do it for me in the counter with her computer.

Their system can only do one year rego and I must call their hot line.... which is not hot enough and I need to wait for another half an hour.

That's a stupid design and a waste of people's time.

Why are tax payer wasting money to employ them when the voice recorder can replace them....

Edited by will's35