SAU Community

Priming Oil System Rb30/rb26

leeroy_25

Please can I have some help here guy's. I finally got my engine turning over to try and prime up the oil system. No oil seems to be getting through the system. It got assembled some time ago and I have to say I don't think I put any oil in the pump when I put it on? Also I am running an oil cooler and currently dry oil filter. The latter I can resolve easily enough. But having read a post somewhere I recall a dry pump might not seal and draw properly? Can someone tell me how I can get around this with my oil cooler setup to try and get some oil back to the pump and get it priming. So far I cracked off one of the pipes and turning it over for a minute or so to see if all would come through but nothing. Also I will pull the plugs back out so it can turn over quicker!

Thank you

Lee

Plugs shouldnt be in if your trying to prime. The load on the bearings from compression can be enough to 'wipe' them. You can put oil into the outlet to oil cooler/filter and turn the motor backwards to let it run down and then turn it clockwise and try to prime again.

You should put a smear of assembly lube over the gears to help create a seal when you inspect it and chuck it on.

Thanks for the reply..

This was my plan. I will pull off the oil filter so I know which pipe to use and then pressure some oil back down it and turn the engine backwards a turn or two as you say. I gather there are no worries turning the engine backwards. Like cambelt riding off or something daft. I can't see it as the tensior is locked in place.

Thank you

Lee

The load on the bearings from compression can be enough to 'wipe' them.

You should put a smear of assembly lube over the gears to help create a seal when you inspect it and chuck it on.

would the bearings also be smeared with assembly lube to avoid wiping the bearings? is that common practice or am i wrong? nfi :D

The bearings should have assembly lube on them anyway. Only other way is to use oil, but thats an old practice. Fairly certain everyone uses the lube these days. But yeh thats right.

The lube on the gears just helps create suction and protect from dry wear until the oil starts going through it all.

you can take the outlet line off the block (that goes to cooler or remote filter mount) and fill it with oil, then wind the engine over backwards by hands and keep topping it up as the level drops, put about 200-500ml back down the line then reassemble. Crank engine without plugs and oil pressure should jump up quickly.

make sure you fill your oil cooler and oil filter too.

Primed and ready!

Injected some oil down the cooler line back to the pump and turned then engine backwards a bit then popped out the plugs and spun it over.. Light went off after about minute or so! What a relief!

Cheers

Lee