SAU Community

Exhaust Opinions

Hey everyone

Finally got my rb20 in my s13 running perfect, i bought a cat back system off a mate the other day and its wayyy to loud, its got a 3inch turbo back and front pipe once peice, bashed out cat with a pipe inside it then a 3inch straight pipe! its so lound sounds awsome but its too loud

What should i do to silence it about 30% but not reduce the power, will a cannon at the end silence it? or a hotdog i know a muffler will but will i loose power?

thanks

If you want perfromance and sound to be lowered you need to spend a few hundred on each muffler for a quality one that will reduce sound and not restrict, I was in the same postion as you was gona get some mufflers then I changed my mind and got a new jap exhust kakimato regu06 which is nice and quiet and flows well.

just get a large muffler put on the rear. 3" straight through, as large as will fit at the back of the car, a skyline will comfortably fit a 16"x11"x6" muffler on the back and on a 3" system that muffler alone is almost enough to get it legal.

Ok cool ill get some prices and hopefully get it organised, thanks for ur help, ill keep use updated. oh and titan ur av is so trippy hahaha

just get a big muffler for it.

i've got a 3.5in oval muffler on the end of my r32 GTR and thats it. it has a nice sound and is quieter than the regular 33 GTS with a full 3in and cannon.

but at high revs and full throttle it really does scream.

and doesnt restrict much, i am running over 300rwkw with it. the rest of the system is a 3in catback, and a trust front pipe.

mine cost about 200 installed, its a super cat brand i think?

You could try stepping the last section of the exhaust down to 2 1/2" and fit a straight through muffler at the back .

IMO it's more important to have the exhaust big at the front than the rear . The gas loses its heat very quickly and when it does it "contracts" and invariably slows down .

Your call .

just get a large muffler put on the rear. 3" straight through, as large as will fit at the back of the car, a skyline will comfortably fit a 16"x11"x6" muffler on the back and on a 3" system that muffler alone is almost enough to get it legal.

x2

We stuck a 3" straight through 18"x10"x8" on the stagea (more room back there) in addition to a mid-muffler of modest size. It is quieter than stock.

• 1 month later...

Bit of an update, got defected last week for tires handbrake and no washer fluid, i mean its got a 3inch front and dump pipe, no cat and 3inch straight pipe to the rear i started the car and the copper said nothing. So might just leave it for the time being

ive got a t3/t4 ebay turbo with a top-mount setup going on soon and i know its going to be 10x louder because of the bigger rear lol so ill have to get it done to be able to drive the car on the road.

Oh and btw its a rb20 in a s13 so im not sure about how much room i have in the back for a muffler as compared to a 32

cheers guys

Given you are in Melb - going highmount/super loud exhausts etc - you are going to be in for some serious pain in coming months... :P

As you just got defected, id say a EPA is still 2-3 weeks away in the mail :/

how are you going to get off defect with a rb20 in an s13?

i had an EJ25 in my 99WRX when i got defected and i would've had to get it taken out to get through regency.

good luck mate