SAU Community

Missfire Boost@4500-5500 RPM - The Answer! (for me at least!)

Nightman

just put in the iriway 7 spark plugs, still the same, im all out of ideas, i inspected the coilpacks so many times, no burn marks or melting or loose components etc.

any ideas people?

Can a blocked fuel filter result in the car missing/spluttering as described?

If it is totally blocked it could cause it to run very lean and misfire, it is fairly uncommon though.

Edited by Rolls

I had my engine rebuilt for my 32 GTR a few years ago and after the run in I found I wasn't making full boost and was braking down. I found my stock IC plumbing was piping off and then re sealing (took me a while to find that one) then it ran good for a few years and then for a while I had a problem of it breaking down under boost, poping and farting, miss firing like a mofo!! I spent almost every few months changing spark plugs and checking AFM's IC piping. Then I decided to buy new coil packs. Oh man what a difference!!! Red-lining holding boost no worries now. Went with the splitfire. Best investment!

• 3 weeks later...

As always the trusty skylines community has helped resolve my missfire issue..

Symptom:

Got a service completed, engine bay cleaned and car started to develop a missfire under load through the rev range starting at 2,500 - 3,500 then 4,500 - 5,500.. Sounds like a machine gun popping..

Swapped out spark plugs which appeared to be quite old and coil pack completely failed when placed back.

Resolution:

Looked at a number of posts and ended up buying a set of 6 yellowjackets rather then splitfires from Performance Wise, arrived in 3 days - great service from Paul..

Put them in, car is performing as normal, no missfire!

Note: Car would idle fine and would be ok when gradually coming onto boost, only when wide open throttle and under load would it missfire..

http://www.performance-wise.com

• 6 months later...

As always the trusty skylines community has helped resolve my missfire issue..

Symptom:

Got a service completed, engine bay cleaned and car started to develop a missfire under load through the rev range starting at 2,500 - 3,500 then 4,500 - 5,500.. Sounds like a machine gun popping..

Swapped out spark plugs which appeared to be quite old and coil pack completely failed when placed back.

Resolution:

Looked at a number of posts and ended up buying a set of 6 yellowjackets rather then splitfires from Performance Wise, arrived in 3 days - great service from Paul..

Put them in, car is performing as normal, no missfire!

Note: Car would idle fine and would be ok when gradually coming onto boost, only when wide open throttle and under load would it missfire..

http://www.performance-wise.com

That sounds exactly like my issue, but mine isnt that severe, just jerky when wide open trottle under load. I will try my mates coilpacks and hopefully that fixes the issue.

Cheers mate

• 2 weeks later...

Have a RB25DET with stock coilpacks. Always had a miss fire on idle even with copper or iridium plugs. Car made 291rwhp on stock turbo.

Then I got a GT3082, car makes a 351rwhp. But it has a horrendous missfire on full load, boost @18psi.

So I took my coilpacks out to silicone/tape them. And saw #6's coilpack and plug were burnt out. Thoughts?

1.jpg

Where is that coil plugged in? :sick:

• 4 weeks later...

They look like Superspark knockoffs. Try yellow jackets: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/YELLOW-JACKETS-COIL-PACKS-SKYLINE-R32-RB20DET-S1-R33-RB25DET-GTST-GTR-RB26DETT-/170868197763?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27c889c983

I bought mine off performance wise around 3.5 yrs ago and they are still going as strong as the day I installed them. Neva skipped a spark:)

You can also get them from their website for a little cheaper - http://performance-wise.com/userimages/procart28.htm

• 2 weeks later...

Why didn't I read this this morning? Had my coils out chasing a break down in ignition and found my plugs were gapped really badly. Also I don't think the plugs had ever been changed going by how tight all the bolts were including spark plugs.

My 34 was running around 13psi on standard everything but when reved hard would go "b b b b b b" does this sound like coil breakdown or miss firing? It's an auto and it's previously only ever done right before changing gear but was doing it all day Sunday.

Edited by RSFOURDayz

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Why didn't I read this this morning? Had my coils out chasing a break down in ignition and found my plugs were gapped really badly. Also I don't think the plugs had ever been changed going by how tight all the bolts were including spark plugs.

My 34 was running around 13psi on standard everything but when reved hard would go "b b b b b b" does this sound like coil breakdown or miss firing? It's an auto and it's previously only ever done right before changing gear but was doing it all day Sunday.

missfiring, had the same issues, checked the coil, taped it, replaced sparkies, all good

dont forget to check the coil plugs

• 7 months later...

that sound just like the problem I've got with my r33 on closer look also found we were getting a voltage drop

at alternator replacing with RH9 hyper Alternator 130A have been told we could be putting to much load on

alternator with extra electronics, will try your fix for coils tho before ordering new coils

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Hows it goin guys
Im new to this forum had for a while haven't been on it as much
I got a few questions if any one can help...

I duno whether i have a boost leak or not
my 32 gtst is spitting some times black smoke
and i always have low revs
some time when break car will switch off
and last night went out car switch off never came back on
thought it was the batt
but narhh
i think it may or may not be the plugs
i got a general understanding on motors ut not 100 percent
dnt want to do something to make it worse...
if anyone can help...
:(