SAU Community

Missfire Boost@4500-5500 RPM - The Answer! (for me at least!)

Nightman

mine have been done in the high temp gasket silicon now for one month and still running a treat. just did my friends r32 (my old ride) which was terribly bad and it to has found a new lease on life. running like it was new. not bad for a 91 model.

Thanks heat resistant gasket silicon:)

• 3 weeks later...

Gday, m new to the skyline scene n m having a slight problem with missing on high boost around the 5000 rpm. now i have all new coil packs and plugs and have cleaned my air flow meter... m kinda stumped from here on in... Please, if amyone has anymore ideas please HELP me

• 2 weeks later...
Gday, m new to the skyline scene n m having a slight problem with missing on high boost around the 5000 rpm. now i have all new coil packs and plugs and have cleaned my air flow meter... m kinda stumped from here on in... Please, if amyone has anymore ideas please HELP me

when you say new coil packs do you mean aftermarket brand new, or, second hand replacements? Also what boost do you mean by high boost? Also what gap are your plugs and what kind?

• 2 weeks later...

I have a R34 GTT Tiptronic stock as a rock! 34k family car with 3 month old baby on board

after a 30 to 40 minute standard drive car has a few misfires then with in 5 minutes gets worse then stalls.

wont restart until the car has cooled for over an hour.

Upon trying to restart sounds like battery issue( check with multimeter 14.4). or wrong firing order. not what i thought would be coil pack issue!

Now it is dark ill go and pull valley cover off and have a look to see if i can see sparking out side of the combustion area. then ill tape up fit new plugs/look at them, i will update later on

If you have any other ideas of what could get hot and stop working

I have a 93 S1 R33 gts-t having the same problem as most peaple here and is so annoying. Got some new plugs and some pvc tape today but it's getting too dark, will do it on coming weekend and let ya's know if it fixes my problem. If it does i'll be getting splitfires asap.

Cheers, Brad.

• 2 weeks later...

First step for a misfire on a rb engine is to lower the spark plug gap if the car is boosted or has induction or exhaust mods.

simply by replacing coils and plugs wont do a thing, unless of course there faulty, always replace the cheapest component first

you need to lower the gap to around .8 due to increased turbulence in the combustion chamber

Im starting to run out of ideas now, my S2 R33 GTS-T's running FMIC, 3" exhaust turbo back, 10 psi of boost.

Siliconed up the coils, which didnt show any obvious signs of arcing anyway, and replaced the plugs with some R4561A-7 plugs (0.7 gap) which have the recessed tip then reset the ECU.

Car was generally unresponsive throughout the entire rev range for the first 5 minutes, then gained some more punch from about 5000rpm onwards, like it did before. Am i right in assuming that the ECU was re-learning and for the first five minutes was over fueling, before leaning out after 5000rpm?

Bit stumped as to what my next option is though. Between 3000-5000 rpm it basically feels as if the car is only on 3/4 throttle, then kicks harder after that. The stock boost controller has been removed

Any ideas?

Edited by Sparky206

• 1 month later...

@ sparky206, i sought of have the same problem, power below 5000 feels pretty dull. Im thinking my problem is that my car probably needs a tune. Because Ive added fmic, boost controller running at 10 psi, and turbo back exhaust. Somewhere along the line of installing that stuff acceleration below 5000 is sought of slower then it should be. Also, its most noticeable in 3rd/4th/5th.

• 1 month later...

Hey peeps I own an r32 gtst i had this missfire problem a year ago and fixed it by putting in new plugs gapping them to .8mm and cleaning the coil packs.

My car is missfiring again but only in one cylinder so i put a new set of plugs in gapped them the same cleaned the coil packs again and its still missfiring in one cylinder on fullboost

Before i got and buy a set of splitfires im wondering what the resistance values should be? i have a multimeter and have 1 coilpack spare but ive forgotton how to test them.

Also the 32 coilpacks are different to r33 ones how do i go about silicon coting the 32 ones? should i cover the whole plastic part and leave the metal surround or cover the entire unit? some of the coating has come off a few of the coilpacks but this seems to only be affecting one cylinder

BTW if cylinder 1 was the closest to the front of the car then when i pulled the old plug out it was fairly black, no2 was a little lighter and as i got towards the rear cylinder the plugs looked like normal ones ie. kinda brown. does this mean cylinder 1 has the missfire problem?

I can take a photo of the plugs for reference if need be.

car is run at 1bar

• 4 months later...

I had this a major missfiring issue with my Series 1 R33 GTST at around 4.5-5.5k revs. I tried taping them - didnt work. Tried silicon - didnt work. I then bit the bullet and forked out 380 bux for a set of brand new Yellow Jackets coil packs from Performance Wise and walah - Problem fixed. This was around 18 months ago and they havent skipped a beat since.

• 3 weeks later...

so many questions, so few answers, hope this helps guys

also want to say that there is a better product than the high temp silicone its spray urethane made my CRC (i think) CLICK ME!!!

1, check all your hose clamps - replace with some new tridon ones from supercheap/autobarn/etc (get the good ones, they are better quality)

2, Check for split or missing vac lines causing a boost leak

3, look in the tutorial section for the "fixing your rb26 afm and maybe others" thread

I have a R34 GTT Tiptronic stock as a rock! 34k family car with 3 month old baby on board

after a 30 to 40 minute standard drive car has a few misfires then with in 5 minutes gets worse then stalls.

wont restart until the car has cooled for over an hour.

Upon trying to restart sounds like battery issue( check with multimeter 14.4). or wrong firing order. not what i thought would be coil pack issue!

Now it is dark ill go and pull valley cover off and have a look to see if i can see sparking out side of the combustion area. then ill tape up fit new plugs/look at them, i will update later on

If you have any other ideas of what could get hot and stop working

could be a cas (crank angle sensor) related problem, try to find someone to swap with (they tend to fail as they heat up)

take the cam valley plate off and put the neo one back on top, will help keep them cool and perform better

while you have the coils out, change the plugs and give the afm a clean with some contact cleaner (dont physically touch the wires)

Im starting to run out of ideas now, my S2 R33 GTS-T's running FMIC, 3" exhaust turbo back, 10 psi of boost.

Siliconed up the coils, which didnt show any obvious signs of arcing anyway, and replaced the plugs with some R4561A-7 plugs (0.7 gap) which have the recessed tip then reset the ECU.

Car was generally unresponsive throughout the entire rev range for the first 5 minutes, then gained some more punch from about 5000rpm onwards, like it did before. Am i right in assuming that the ECU was re-learning and for the first five minutes was over fueling, before leaning out after 5000rpm?

Bit stumped as to what my next option is though. Between 3000-5000 rpm it basically feels as if the car is only on 3/4 throttle, then kicks harder after that. The stock boost controller has been removed

Any ideas?

still sounds like something isn't quite right, grab a new o2 sensor (only about $80 these days and will help your fuel consumption)

could be timing set wrong, blocked fuel filter, low fuel pump pressure or voltage (tutorial section has a hot-to for rewiring the pump with a relay)

get a timing light onto it and a multimeter onto the tps

Hey peeps I own an r32 gtst i had this missfire problem a year ago and fixed it by putting in new plugs gapping them to .8mm and cleaning the coil packs.

My car is missfiring again but only in one cylinder so i put a new set of plugs in gapped them the same cleaned the coil packs again and its still missfiring in one cylinder on fullboost

Before i got and buy a set of splitfires im wondering what the resistance values should be? i have a multimeter and have 1 coilpack spare but ive forgotton how to test them.

Also the 32 coilpacks are different to r33 ones how do i go about silicon coting the 32 ones? should i cover the whole plastic part and leave the metal surround or cover the entire unit? some of the coating has come off a few of the coilpacks but this seems to only be affecting one cylinder

BTW if cylinder 1 was the closest to the front of the car then when i pulled the old plug out it was fairly black, no2 was a little lighter and as i got towards the rear cylinder the plugs looked like normal ones ie. kinda brown. does this mean cylinder 1 has the missfire problem?

I can take a photo of the plugs for reference if need be.

car is run at 1bar

sounds like that front cyl is running a bit off, 32's have top feed injectors which a prone to leaking even when off after 20 years of service

grab some urethane seal coat like i mentioned and give that a go

swap the front plug out for another one and see what it looks like after a 1000kms or so

Hope that helps everyone!

oi man does this actually work cause my r33 just started doin it and ppl say its my coil packs i might give it a go thiss weekend ;)

YES MATE IT WORK`S OTHER WISE WE WOULD NOT BE SAYING THIS :D ,i have done 4 set`s & still all sweetas :rofl::banana:

Cheer`s Chuckie.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys im not the best with the RB, and I cant see any of the pics poeple have loaded up :s not sure why, but ive started getting this problem a while ago

already replaced 2 apparently "faulty" splitfire coils, when replacing one the car would run fine for 15 mins then as soon as I hit 4000 RPM the car will miss and run like shit untill I boost it again then goes back to normal, really giving me the shits aha. Do people think taping the coils will resolve the problem,

Thanks Ben

• 2 weeks later...
Hehe, Yeah thats my next step! > BOOOST >>>> but I wanted to fix my Miss under NORMAL boost first! :P ... Now... Who's got a cheap safc for sale?! :)

Seriously... !

:cool: got one in the 33, speakin of, anyone got a cheap avc-r for sale while they're at it?

• 2 weeks later...

well i got this problem now.

only happens under load between 4.5-5.5. its perfect before it and after . .although it does feel like its lost some h orses before and after.

I have relatively New , Splitfires, pfc. tune, iridiums. o2 sensor, etc. so its baffled me. perhaps crank angle sensor? is th ere a way to find out how to test that theory without a new one? I wont hold my breathe.

i have a mate with a soarer who spent many hundreds replacing, cleaning, fixing parts while hunting a missfire. when he finally had a look at his 3000km iridiums they were fkd, which was pretty tragic lol. so yeah, have you had a look at the spark plugs?