SAU Community

Stagea S1/2 Auto Top Speed..?

JDM_Spirit

I was wondering how long the legs are on a Stagea S1 or 2...?

Manual / Auto.........

I know my 32(manual) hit approx. 250km/h by the time it hit limiter in 5th.

Assuming;

-No speed cut

-Has the power to actually get through the gears..

Im sure most of us know that 3rd(auto) is no where near Limiter before Speed cut hits. Got me thinking........

I was wondering how long the legs are on a Stagea S1 or 2...?

Manual / Auto.........

I know my 32(manual) hit approx. 250km/h by the time it hit limiter in 5th.

Assuming;

-No speed cut

-Has the power to actually get through the gears..

Im sure most of us know that 3rd(auto) is no where near Limiter before Speed cut hits. Got me thinking........

My Series two tiptronic does 60mph at about 2200rpm. Ignoring all the wind resistance problems etc, if I had enough horsepower in theory I could do around 170-180mph just before I hit the limiter.

I've not had the opportunity to open mine up and see what it got up to, but I can safely say 140mph is no problem with plenty left to spare.

Realistically I would expect it to top out at around 155-160, which isn't too bad for an old Datsun estate !

Edited by DeanR33

Are you sure your S2 is that high geared?

When I had the auto box my S1 was doing about 2600rev/min at 110km/hr.

That would give a theoretical maximum of 296 at 7000

I would think a stocker would be struggling to do much more than 200

Our final drive is about 4.1 :1

I have got a 3.454:1 front diff and will get a matching rear diff to reduce the revs at 110 to more like 2200 (and increase the theoretical maximum to well over 320!)

Well of course I could be out on my RPM by 100 rpm or so, but not too far off. I must admit that I was surprised at the gearing. It is definately higher geared than my old R33 GTR. I've checked the speedo with GPS so I know that's accurate. I'm running 245/40/18 tyres so I think that I'm geared up a little there too.

To be honest I haven't looked up the tiptronic gearbox and diff ratios and done the calculations. I just assumed that Nissan had geared things up a little to try to help fuel consumption and were less bothered about acceleration on the Stagea than the Skyline.

There is little difference in the stock specifications:

R33 GTR 4.111:1

Stagea 4.083:1

although there have been rumours of Stageas being found with diffs with higher gearing and a mechanical rather than viscous LSD. I don't know if these were odd diffs that were lying around the factory or whether Japanese owners changed them before they were exported second hand. Maybe someone with access to Nissan Fast and time on their hands could have a look to see if any other final drive ratios are listed. I would asume that the 260RS would have the GTR diffs (4.111:1).

rs four s does

2500 = 100

so 5000 would =200

& 7500 would =300

on the standard gauges

if it had the balls . it gets to the speed cut with out too much effort

^^^^ not nessicarily

you need to take a speed at 2000rpm and one at 3000

take that figure and multiply it by how many times between say 3000 and redline and then add your original speed at 3000

some cars will only do 20kmh/1000rpm, some will do 40

^^^^ not nessicarily

take that figure and multiply it by how many times between say 3000 and redline and then add your original speed at 3000

Lol at this thread!! Just so your aware its extreamly bad to limiter bash top gear!! The 260 did like 160 170 at around 4300 or so I think

^^^^ not nessicarily

What?????????

^^^^ not nessicarily

What?????????

Bob arent you aware pipster has had one of these cars for under a year and knows them inside out? Moved up in the world from his "Custom Purple" 32

:blink:

What?????????
Bob arent you aware pipster has had one of these cars for under a year and knows them inside out? Moved up in the world from his "Custom Purple" 32

:blink:

so you guys think that you just get your speed at a certain rpm and double it to get it at twice the rpm?

say at 100 your doing 2000 rpm and at 3000 prm you are doing 130 (just for arguments sake)

that means that for every 1000 rpm in 5th you do 30km/h

so if your car redlines at 7k (for arguments sake again) that gives you 5000rpm onto of 2000 which means that your top speed would be 5x30+100 = 250

you guys realise i was replying to lachlanw? just clearing up what i said

and kidafa, i didn't pay to get my 32 painted, its how it came when i bought it, it was the only one near me that was in ok condition as there is limited choice down here in tas and i didn't know enough about rego transfer to buy one from the mainland

maybe you should get over the fact that i once owned a purple car

i thought this section was about helping ppl not putting others down

Just checked my Stagea. It is definately right around 2200 rpm at 60mph ( 96kmh ) and 2550rpm at 70mph (112 kmh )

I took the rpm readings from my Greddy infometer but my Tacho is reading the same, much more accurate than all my Skylines have been.

I can't be bothered jacking it up and turning the shafts to check the diff ratios though.

LOL... good read :)

So no one has actually wound one of these right out?

I doubt that a factory one could really push the final drive right out.

But pipster11 is correct, as final drive4th Auto/5th manual) isnt a 1:1 ratio

as it is an over drive gear. So one would have to measure the difference betwene 2 RPM points and work out the difference. Then multiply by RPM (ei: 7,000rpm)

The personally found the Aero on the Stagea isnt all that flash either :)

As a test I raced a Stock Turbo Ford Ranger... I had the sun rooves + windows open... Ranger left me behind LOL! Even with everything shut... not much difference.......................................

QUOTE from Pipster11

"so you guys think that you just get your speed at a certain rpm and double it to get it at twice the rpm?

say at 100 your doing 2000 rpm and at 3000 prm you are doing 130 (just for arguments sake)

so if your car redlines at 7k (for arguments sake again) that gives you 5000rpm onto of 2000 which means that your top speed would be 5x30+100 = 250 " QUOTE

Is this really how you calculate speed vs rpm ?

I always thought that in top gear there would always be a constant speed for rpm ratio ignoring drag etc.

So taking the example given above if I'm doing 100m/h at 2000rpm in top gear that's 50m/h per 1000rpm throughout the rev range. How could that change to 30m/h per 1000rpm whilst remaining in the same gear even if the ratio is an overdrive ?

EDIT. The more I think about this, the more I think you are wrong. The gear ratios are fixed so we are correct, you can just double up etc.

Edited by DeanR33

it too fail to see your logic . if the gear box is in any gear & you double the input rpm(engine rpm) the output rpm (prop shaft ) will double ?? how can it not ??

you are multiplying the engine rpm by the same ratio ? no ?

QUOTE from Pipster11

"so you guys think that you just get your speed at a certain rpm and double it to get it at twice the rpm?

so if your car redlines at 7k (for arguments sake again) that gives you 5000rpm onto of 2000 which means that your top speed would be 5x30+100 = 250 " QUOTE

Is this really how you calculate speed vs rpm ?

I always thought that in top gear there would always be a constant speed for rpm ratio ignoring drag etc.

So taking the example given above if I'm doing 100m/h at 2000rpm in top gear that's 50m/h per 1000rpm throughout the rev range. How could that change to 30m/h per 1000rpm whilst remaining in the same gear even if the ratio is an overdrive ?

EDIT. The more I think about this, the more I think you are wrong. The gear ratios are fixed so we are correct, you can just double up etc.

my bad, all this maths at uni is making me go crazy

of course if you double the input speed you will double the output, i was thinking that the gearbox was some form of quadratic lol

check this thing out: has presets for everything :)

http://justskylines.com/knowledgebase/widg...calculator.aspx

manual stagea is good for 169 mph apparently (270kmh) dunno about that tho

Just checked my Stagea. It is definately right around 2200 rpm at 60mph ( 96kmh ) and 2550rpm at 70mph (112 kmh )

I took the rpm readings from my Greddy infometer but my Tacho is reading the same, much more accurate than all my Skylines have been.

I can't be bothered jacking it up and turning the shafts to check the diff ratios though.

That pretty much accords with my 2600 @110 so your diff will be stock and the slight extra speed could be larger diameter wheels.