SAU Community

Anyone From Nz?

I'm still hesitant about using Gull bio ethanol fuel (e10) because the direct injected VQ30 and VQ25 engines have very different fuel supply setups, different pumps and injectors running at much higher pressures and tolerances than the VQ35 system.

The problems with ethanol mix gasoline is that the ethanol attacks some types of rubber used for seals and pipes. Ethanol fuel also 'gums up' if there is no flow for a while which is why it should not be used on carburettor engines as this 'gum' blocks the float needle. I assumed that this gumming action may also cause an issue in the fine nozzel area of direct injectors like the ones used on VQ30DD and VQ25DD engines.

So I'm staying clear for now. Mobil 98 for me.

I cant see how the E10 fuel would be a disadvantage in the DD engines ? why would a high pressure system be affected with a 10% ethanol mix .. your right in the carb issue though with gumming but as you say the DD is a high pressure setup and gumming would not be possible.

I think its the " im not sure factor " because its new .. well not really its been here since 07 and im sure if it was as bad as some say it would have been off the shelf by now ..

Theres been a lot of chat on Force 10 in various forums but all were round the 07/08 mark and nothing recent - when it was 1st launched

a couple of interesting reads .

http://tvnz.co.nz/content/1263523/423466/article.html

http://www.gpforums.co.nz/thread/311453/?s=

pdf.gif Automobile Association - "Vehicle Compatibility for Ethanol – New Models Only"

I suppose its what you feel safe and comfortable to use and if the Mobile station was closer than the gull then i too would use Mobile :D

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Tim! Welcome!!! I've been seeing more M35s too! And loads of v35 sedans! Unfortunately, I have only seen 1 v35 coupe since I got mine! :D

Wonder where have they disappear too! I used to see at least a couple on the weekends that I was waiting for mine to arrive! Sure hope there are more v35 coupe owners coming here to chat and discuss about the car.

Also, have anyone seen a v36 on NZ road yet? I've seen a couple of sedans before but never a coupe! Saw 1 on sale on trademe the other day! I think it was Ellis Utting....

Ive had a good sit and play with a V36 Sedan - very NICE .. quite different inside - Electric's everywhere !! nice Sat nav info built in screen , electric adjustable steering wheel column - parking camera in the door mirror , the list goes on !! the engine had 2 AFM's / air boxes too - was the VQ35 ..

I cant see how the E10 fuel would be a disadvantage in the DD engines ? why would a high pressure system be affected with a 10% ethanol mix .. your right in the carb issue though with gumming but as you say the DD is a high pressure setup and gumming would not be possible.

I think its the " im not sure factor " because its new .. well not really its been here since 07 and im sure if it was as bad as some say it would have been off the shelf by now ..

Theres been a lot of chat on Force 10 in various forums but all were round the 07/08 mark and nothing recent - when it was 1st launched

a couple of interesting reads .

http://tvnz.co.nz/content/1263523/423466/article.html

http://www.gpforums.co.nz/thread/311453/?s=

pdf.gif Automobile Association - "Vehicle Compatibility for Ethanol – New Models Only"

I suppose its what you feel safe and comfortable to use and if the Mobile station was closer than the gull then i too would use Mobile :banana:

Thanks for the research James! Those articles are definitely a good read!

Interesting enough, my car is Nov 04 but if you think about it, the engine n all is exactly the same as the 03 models.... and they are basically similar to the v35 sedans back in 01 rite?

However, i guess best assurance is ppl have tried e10 n it works!

Thanks for the research James! Those articles are definitely a good read!

Interesting enough, my car is Nov 04 but if you think about it, the engine n all is exactly the same as the 03 models.... and they are basically similar to the v35 sedans back in 01 rite?

However, i guess best assurance is ppl have tried e10 n it works!

That compatable list is for NZ new only .. its the bit at the bottom for Imports which says reasearch is on going and no evidence to date has been found that harms your engine .. ( its new and they dident have a clue if it was good or not is my thought )

Well 3 years after its launch and its still here and gull havent yet made it to " fair go " i guess it must be OK :banana:

Yep i would agree your 04 is nay on identical to the 01 set up in the V35 .. unless Japan changed the fuel hoses and pumps and injectors seals from 04 onwards.. which would make no sence ..

Damit .. wait till we eventually drive around in Water powered cars ... now do i use bottled water or tap water ??!! :)

That compatable list is for NZ new only .. its the bit at the bottom for Imports which says reasearch is on going and no evidence to date has been found that harms your engine .. ( its new and they dident have a clue if it was good or not is my thought )

Well 3 years after its launch and its still here and gull havent yet made it to " fair go " i guess it must be OK :banana:

Yep i would agree your 04 is nay on identical to the 01 set up in the V35 .. unless Japan changed the fuel hoses and pumps and injectors seals from 04 onwards.. which would make no sence ..

Damit .. wait till we eventually drive around in Water powered cars ... now do i use bottled water or tap water ??!! :)

That's a good one James! How nice if we get water powered car! :)

Anyway, i think the idea of using liquid hydrogen to generate electricity for the Honda Clarity that Top Gear showed is probably the best possible outcome going forward and it will probably eventually happen as petroluem becomes less and less....

Getting out of topic now, but hey, looking at things, we do have quite a few ppl here using E10!

Cheez, i've been laid up for a few days (thanks to a bug from one kids school) and we're another page ahead with another new kiwi, Hi Tim..welcome!

Also thanks for the extra info there James on the Gull 98, helps to read up on all angles with this! Still keen to give it a go to do a km/L against the mainstream offerings.

Hopefully I'll get to the Anycar setup this week, Thursday is planned but still requires the misses to confirm her participation in collecting the kiddies. Looking forward to getting all these little bits and pieces finally installed (FM extender to go in as well). On paper this setup seems the go for my application and might just be the best bang for the buck.

I'll keep you all posted.

Cheez, i've been laid up for a few days (thanks to a bug from one kids school) and we're another page ahead with another new kiwi, Hi Tim..welcome!

Also thanks for the extra info there James on the Gull 98, helps to read up on all angles with this! Still keen to give it a go to do a km/L against the mainstream offerings.

Hopefully I'll get to the Anycar setup this week, Thursday is planned but still requires the misses to confirm her participation in collecting the kiddies. Looking forward to getting all these little bits and pieces finally installed (FM extender to go in as well). On paper this setup seems the go for my application and might just be the best bang for the buck.

I'll keep you all posted.

Hey Mike... hope you are feeling much better now! Do keep us posted on the Anycar setup mate! As for me, I'll be sorting out my reverse sensor this week and then will plan to get the FM extender done later this month or next month (depending on work load).

Take care mate!

How much are people paying for FM band expandersand installation? Can someone let me know the range?

I'll try and help if I can.

I got mine from the kiwi crowd 'Electronic Developments Ltd'

Very nice, well built unit that is nissan specific and only cost $70 delivered. Model # PB2000N.

I'll install it myself for free :action-smiley-069: .

Cheers.

How much are people paying for FM band expandersand installation? Can someone let me know the range?

I'll try and help if I can.

Hey X, the good one that I think Dave suggested in Onehunga is charging, if I recall correctly, $80 for the expander and installation.

Hey X, the good one that I think Dave suggested in Onehunga is charging, if I recall correctly, $80 for the expander and installation.

Wow if it's the same unit as I've got then the instalation is bloody cheap :action-smiley-069: ...maybe they've never seen one of our cars :)

Wow if it's the same unit as I've got then the instalation is bloody cheap :D ...maybe they've never seen one of our cars :D

Electronic Developments do 2x different versions from memory, the basic PB1000 and the better PB2000, so that may expalin the price differences you were quoted. Ideally, and I can vouch from experience as a Radio technician, you'll get the best result if you place a band expander on both of the incoming aerials. The way these diversity aerial systems work, both aerials are continually monitored for signal level, quality and multipath, and the best signal is selected by the radio's input stages. With a good diversity aerial system, dropouts and distortion are far less likely to occur as you drive around hilly and built up areas. Once you drop back to only one band expander on one aerial, you lose the advanatge the original system provided. Back when I bought my original PB1000 band expanders from Electronic Developments about 7 years ago, this is what the owner/engineer recommended, and it's still recommended on their site somewhere. I'm not sure what the PB2000 consists of. Maybe it has 2x expanders inside the single enclosure?

Hmmm.... if I recall correctly, that's what the guy quoted me. Will need to check my email to confirm again. Anyway, always a chance the price will go up a little once they see the car. My reverse sensor installation is cost little extra (compared to the trademe listed price) as well as the guy was saying it will take abit more time to install the sensors into my car.

Anyway, i do remember when i got my dealer to do a bandwidth expander on my Mazda 6, it was costing me less than $50 but the quality of the expander was only ok at best. Always had problems tuning to Edge when I m in Manukau.

Well, the bandwidth expander is next on my list of to do after the sensors (which can only be done now next Monday) so if I do bring it to Onehunga, I'll keep u guys posted on cost.

Electronic Developments do 2x different versions from memory, the basic PB1000 and the better PB2000, so that may expalin the price differences you were quoted. Ideally, and I can vouch from experience as a Radio technician, you'll get the best result if you place a band expander on both of the incoming aerials. The way these diversity aerial systems work, both aerials are continually monitored for signal level, quality and multipath, and the best signal is selected by the radio's input stages. With a good diversity aerial system, dropouts and distortion are far less likely to occur as you drive around hilly and built up areas. Once you drop back to only one band expander on one aerial, you lose the advanatge the original system provided. Back when I bought my original PB1000 band expanders from Electronic Developments about 7 years ago, this is what the owner/engineer recommended, and it's still recommended on their site somewhere. I'm not sure what the PB2000 consists of. Maybe it has 2x expanders inside the single enclosure?

Hey Dave, thanks for the info mate. I will try out the 2000 and see how it goes. Truth be told I don't listen to the radio much at all, gave up on it years ago (except maybe a kiwi cricket match), I just like to have all the options working :D . And with all the extras I'm about to have, it may never get a look in.

I will of course be testing this unit out and you never know I just might enjoy the radio once again.

Hey guys... just rechecked my email. It's $85 incl. installation. The guy recommended me the PB2000 saying it's the best option for my car. So will probably install that. Cheers!

Hey guys... just rechecked my email. It's $85 incl. installation. The guy recommended me the PB2000 saying it's the best option for my car. So will probably install that. Cheers!

Damn that's a sharp install price! Go for that! The delivery portion of the $70 I paid was $5 :bunny: .

So for $20 he's either A) damn good & fast, B) have a crap hourly rate or C) gets them for near nothing :blink: .

Ha ha now lets see how I get on doing it.

Damn that's a sharp install price! Go for that! The delivery portion of the $70 I paid was $5 :bunny: .

So for $20 he's either A) damn good & fast, B) have a crap hourly rate or C) gets them for near nothing :blink: .

Ha ha now lets see how I get on doing it.

Yeah.... i m definitely not confident enough to do it myself so will spend $25 more to get the professional to do it! :)

WIll keep u guys updated on the results once I've got it done probably sometime in Sep.