SAU Community

Anyone From Nz?

Hey, look what I bought on Trademe today. Is this a good price or what - $152 for a set of mint Stagea 17" alloys?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=304633743

Crazy really, when I have another identical set sitting on the shelf waiting to install on my Stag to replace some sad 16's. Looks like I may have some nice wheels for my Cefiro too now. :)

BTW, if anyone is interested in connecting an Ipod or similar direct to your V35/M35 factory stereo, this cable being sold on Trademe for $30 looks a good option. However, using this you'll disconnect the factory TV tuner losing audio from the aux input of the TV tuner, so it's not for everyone.

See: http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=304795862

Ha how about that then! Congrats. on your purchase Dave. I was just coming on now to inform you all of this very listing.

Oh well a very good score I might add! :P

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, look what I bought on Trademe today. Is this a good price or what - $152 for a set of mint Stagea 17" alloys?

Crazy really, when I have another identical set sitting on the shelf waiting to install on my Stag to replace some sad 16's. Looks like I may have some nice wheels for my Cefiro too now. :D

BTW, if anyone is interested in connecting an Ipod or similar direct to your V35/M35 factory stereo, this cable being sold on Trademe for $30 looks a good option. However, using this you'll disconnect the factory TV tuner losing audio from the aux input of the TV tuner, so it's not for everyone.

See: http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=304795862

Hey Dave! Congrats on the purchase! It's a very good buy indeed! Saw the seller selling a set of 17 inch Atenza rims as well! If I still have my previous car, I'll probably get a set too at that price as the rims I had is quite a lot of scratches on them.

Anyway, thanks for the heads up on the cable as well. I am using a fm modulator atm and I think it's doing ok. Sounds quality is not the best, but it's decent enough. Planning to send the car for a bandwidth expander later this week or next.

Oh, I notice this minor scratch on my car right at the edge of the bonet. Might need to really get a can of paint now to probably fix that so the info on the colour code you gave me is definitely coming in handy! Any idea how I can get some touch up paint quick? Saw like 2 on ebay but both are in the US. You reckon we can't get any here in places like Super Cheap Auto? Just that there's like a small 2mm area that's beginning to rust so keen to fix it ASAP. Using some tape to cover it atm...

Edited by win4ever

Crazy really, when I have another identical set sitting on the shelf waiting to install on my Stag to replace some sad 16's. Looks like I may have some nice wheels for my Cefiro too now. :D

Hey, you beat my record - a year or 2 ago scored a set of the same things for $200 from TradeMe. And then sold my 16's for the same price! :)

Hey Dave! Congrats on the purchase! It's a very good buy indeed! Saw the seller selling a set of 17 inch Atenza rims as well! If I still have my previous car, I'll probably get a set too at that price as the rims I had is quite a lot of scratches on them.

Anyway, thanks for the heads up on the cable as well. I am using a fm modulator atm and I think it's doing ok. Sounds quality is not the best, but it's decent enough. Planning to send the car for a bandwidth expander later this week or next.

Oh, I notice this minor scratch on my car right at the edge of the bonet. Might need to really get a can of paint now to probably fix that so the info on the colour code you gave me is definitely coming in handy! Any idea how I can get some touch up paint quick? Saw like 2 on ebay but both are in the US. You reckon we can't get any here in places like Super Cheap Auto? Just that there's like a small 2mm area that's beginning to rust so keen to fix it ASAP. Using some tape to cover it atm...

I'm pretty certain you won't find that paint at Super Cheap or Repco. They tend to have a very poor selection in my experience.

Car Colors of North Shore: http://www.carcolors.co.nz/ are close to me, and I've bought factory Nissan colours in a can from them in the past, and they've been very good. I think an aersol spray can was around $25 to $35 from memory and all you need is the Nissan paint code, or drive your car in and they will match it and put it in a can, or a small touch-up bottle while you wait. They supply the panel beating trade and the walk in public. I was going to get a touchup bottle from them when I got my Stag, but ended up getting one on Ebay for around NZ$8 including freight, as I had so long to wait for my car to arrive.

I'm pretty certain you won't find that paint at Super Cheap or Repco. They tend to have a very poor selection in my experience.

Car Colors of North Shore: http://www.carcolors.co.nz/ are close to me, and I've bought factory Nissan colours in a can from them in the past, and they've been very good. I think an aersol spray can was around $25 to $35 from memory and all you need is the Nissan paint code, or drive your car in and they will match it and put it in a can, or a small touch-up bottle while you wait. They supply the panel beating trade and the walk in public. I was going to get a touchup bottle from them when I got my Stag, but ended up getting one on Ebay for around NZ$8 including freight, as I had so long to wait for my car to arrive.

Thanks for the info Dave! Have been busy all day today at work with meetings after meetings and only saw this now. I've drop carcolors a message via their website requesting for this and hopefully they will response soon. Keen to get the paint and cover the little rusty area ASAP. The scratch is so small and is on such a hardly visible part on the bonnet (basically it's at the tip of a corner) that I guess even the auction inspector didn't manage to pick it up as i would think they probably wouldn't give the car a 4.5 if they saw it.

Well, I didn't see it too until last nite when I was applying some polish on the bonnet when I picked it up.

Oh well, it's nothing major so a little touch up paint should do the job. Just need to get the paint in!

Again, thanks for the help mate! Cheers!

Hey guys. How's everyone going. Just thought I'll keep this thread alive by giving a little update on my

experience with my car after almost 1 week of owning it.

I've got really only good things to say about it really. Enjoying every moment I have in the car. It's really such a joy to drive n everyone in office who saw the car was so impressed with it as well. Gotta say it's probably the best car i've driven.

Anyway planning some upgrades now. Will probably get a Bandwidth expander installed this weekend or next. Next is probably to put in some reverse sensors as well. Think I'll need to paint them to match the car colour though. Don't want a set of black ones on. Will visit carcolors that Dave recommended to get some paint for this.

Hey guys. How's everyone going. Just thought I'll keep this thread alive by giving a little update on my

experience with my car after almost 1 week of owning it.

I've got really only good things to say about it really. Enjoying every moment I have in the car. It's really such a joy to drive n everyone in office who saw the car was so impressed with it as well. Gotta say it's probably the best car i've driven.

Anyway planning some upgrades now. Will probably get a Bandwidth expander installed this weekend or next. Next is probably to put in some reverse sensors as well. Think I'll need to paint them to match the car colour though. Don't want a set of black ones on. Will visit carcolors that Dave recommended to get some paint for this.

Great to hear you're happy with it Loh. Hope you can get some more photos of your car up here soon.

I picked up my set of 17" Stagea wheels I bought on Trademe yesterday, and it turned out to be Car City in Papatoetoe. www.carcity.co.nz

They had about 5x M35's and a couple of V35's in their yard, and they really like them. They seem to like upgrading to 18" or 19" wheels on many of the cars they sell.

Edited by Spong

Great to hear you're happy with it Loh. Hope you can get some more photos of your car up here soon.

I picked up my set of 17" Stagea wheels I bought on Trademe yesterday, and it turned out to be Car City in Papatoetoe. www.carcity.co.nz

They had about 5x M35's and a couple of V35's in their yard, and they really like them. They seem to like upgrading to 18" or 19" wheels on many of the cars they sell.

Hey Dave, yeah, definitely super happy with the car! Like I said, loving every moment when I am in the car! Will try 2 put a few more photos of the car on here esp after I've got some reverse sensors on. I am thinking it should look ok if the sensors have matching colours.

Anyway, how r the wheels? From the photos they look pretty nice and tidy. Would have been great if the tyres were in better conditions as then u can basically just use them! :( Hmmm... it's very nice of Car City to swap the rims. Do they put in nice aftermarket rims?

I had a look at the website.... saw the M35 n V35 there. The manual one looks interesting but a little high on mileage....

Thanks for the info Dave! Have been busy all day today at work with meetings after meetings and only saw this now. I've drop carcolors a message via their website requesting for this and hopefully they will response soon. Keen to get the paint and cover the little rusty area ASAP. The scratch is so small and is on such a hardly visible part on the bonnet (basically it's at the tip of a corner) that I guess even the auction inspector didn't manage to pick it up as i would think they probably wouldn't give the car a 4.5 if they saw it.

Well, I didn't see it too until last nite when I was applying some polish on the bonnet when I picked it up.

Oh well, it's nothing major so a little touch up paint should do the job. Just need to get the paint in!

Again, thanks for the help mate! Cheers!

In the past when I have given up on Repco and SupaCheap, I went into a local paint shop, they took the color code and mixed e up a touchup pot of paint based on the code

Only problem you get with any of the touchup paints is due to A) any fading of the original means the touchup is slitely different

and B) the clearcoat changes the color also

Anyway, how r the wheels? From the photos they look pretty nice and tidy. Would have been great if the tyres were in better conditions as then u can basically just use them! :D Hmmm... it's very nice of Car City to swap the rims. Do they put in nice aftermarket rims?

I had a look at the website.... saw the M35 n V35 there. The manual one looks interesting but a little high on mileage....

I knew the tyres were basically worn out (they're pretty marginal for a WOF), and in fact they're 215/50/17 so lower profile than standard for the Stag, which uses 215/55/17.

Interesting thing is I'm going to fit them to my 1998 Cefiro temporarily, which has 215/55/16's and they'll be very close to the same diameter according to the online calculators I've used. That way I can see whether the look and handling justifies buying a new set of 17" tyres for the Cefiro. Luckily the wheel pitch is close also, so should be a good fit. I may get a photo up if I get a chance.

Yes, all the V35's and M35's at car City had higher mileages. I think Aussie and JDM gets most of the low km cars.

I knew the tyres were basically worn out (they're pretty marginal for a WOF), and in fact they're 215/50/17 so lower profile than standard for the Stag, which uses 215/55/17.

Interesting thing is I'm going to fit them to my 1998 Cefiro temporarily, which has 215/55/16's and they'll be very close to the same diameter according to the online calculators I've used. That way I can see whether the look and handling justifies buying a new set of 17" tyres for the Cefiro. Luckily the wheel pitch is close also, so should be a good fit. I may get a photo up if I get a chance.

Yes, all the V35's and M35's at car City had higher mileages. I think Aussie and JDM gets most of the low km cars.

Hey Dave... so you are going to use those tyres on the Cefiro or just to fit them and see how it goes? I still think the rims are great bargain! Always good to even keep them as spares (assuming it doesn't work on the Cefiro, which I think it will from the sounds of it and don't think 50 and 55 will make a big difference).

Anyway, I went to CarColors yesterday and got myself a can of the paint I needed. As I am thinking of getting reverse sensors, I decided 2 get a spray can instead of just a 100ml bottle. Sprayed some out and used a brush to touch up the little scratch. Got the scratch fixed now and is happy with the colour! Yay! Thanks for recommending the place mate!

Hey Dave... so you are going to use those tyres on the Cefiro or just to fit them and see how it goes? I still think the rims are great bargain! Always good to even keep them as spares (assuming it doesn't work on the Cefiro, which I think it will from the sounds of it and don't think 50 and 55 will make a big difference).

Anyway, I went to CarColors yesterday and got myself a can of the paint I needed. As I am thinking of getting reverse sensors, I decided 2 get a spray can instead of just a 100ml bottle. Sprayed some out and used a brush to touch up the little scratch. Got the scratch fixed now and is happy with the colour! Yay! Thanks for recommending the place mate!

Good to hear you got sorted with the paint.

I've fitted the 17" rims with the worn 215/50/17 tyres temporarily to my Cefiro, just to see how they go and look. There is a really good tyre calculator at http://www.rimsntires.com/rt_specs.jsp?item=Wheel-Tire which allows you to enter details of your original rims, widths, offsets and tyres and see what happens if you change to a larger rims. One problem with a lot of cars today is that their speedos read high, in fact both of my Nissans read around 10% high with their standard tyres and rims, as checked against my Navman GPS and the street mounted speed displays. Moving to the 17" rims with 50 profile tyres increases the diameter by 6mm and improves the accuracy of my speedo as I've proven today. I think they look far better than the originals, so next time I need new tyres, I'll probably get some new ones for these rims. I've also got another set of identical rims for the Stagea and will probably go with 225/55/17 to make the most of them. There's more to it than meets the eye, and that calculator gives all the info you'd need. Luckily, all the wheels I'm using have a 45mm offset, so are interchangeable between the two cars, but moving up in wheel size requires a drop in profile, otherwise the diameter gets too high. The Hankook K415's I normally have on the Cefiro are extremely quiet, and I'd like to get the same type when I upgrade, as the 17" Goodyear LS2000's sound like a freight train, and have interesting handling in the wet :)

Photo on left is original stock 16" rims taken in 2003. Second photo with V35/M35 17" rims today, and very dirty car. What do you guys like best?

post-73265-1280628195_thumb.jpg

post-73265-1280628229_thumb.jpg

Edited by Spong

Hi Dave, 17's look great in the photo and seem to suit the car well, I'd be sticking with those.

I think I'll stay with these standard 17's on mine as well. The more I look at them the more I like them. At tire change time I'll be looking for a quiet 235/50-17. The calculator listed this as almost a perfect match for the standard 215/55-17.

My current tires are Japanese Bridgestone PZ-1's and I must say they are a good tyre. Very quiet and good in both wet & dry, unfortunitely unavailable outside Japan but i'm sure there will be something similar locally. These cars are so smooth that a quiet tyre is a must as not to spoil the ride.

Good to hear you got sorted with the paint.

I've fitted the 17" rims with the worn 215/50/17 tyres temporarily to my Cefiro, just to see how they go and look. There is a really good tyre calculator at http://www.rimsntires.com/rt_specs.jsp?item=Wheel-Tire which allows you to enter details of your original rims, widths, offsets and tyres and see what happens if you change to a larger rims. One problem with a lot of cars today is that their speedos read high, in fact both of my Nissans read around 10% high with their standard tyres and rims, as checked against my Navman GPS and the street mounted speed displays. Moving to the 17" rims with 50 profile tyres increases the diameter by 6mm and improves the accuracy of my speedo as I've proven today. I think they look far better than the originals, so next time I need new tyres, I'll probably get some new ones for these rims. I've also got another set of identical rims for the Stagea and will probably go with 225/55/17 to make the most of them. There's more to it than meets the eye, and that calculator gives all the info you'd need. Luckily, all the wheels I'm using have a 45mm offset, so are interchangeable between the two cars, but moving up in wheel size requires a drop in profile, otherwise the diameter gets too high. The Hankook K415's I normally have on the Cefiro are extremely quiet, and I'd like to get the same type when I upgrade, as the 17" Goodyear LS2000's sound like a freight train, and have interesting handling in the wet :D

Photo on left is original stock 16" rims taken in 2003. Second photo with V35/M35 17" rims today, and very dirty car. What do you guys like best?

Yeah... glad to have sorted the paint... :D

Anyway, i think i've used that calculator b4 when I was trying 2 find a set of mags for my Atenza which in the end, i decided to settle with an original 17" as I couldn't really find one set of aftermarket ones that I like with a small budget. :)

Hey Dave, the new set of 17" wheels looks great. I have to say the 16" stock set looks decent as well! If you are going to stick with the 17" on the Cefiro, I am sure you can get quite a bit of $$$ on trademe selling the 16" :D Can't see the details from the pictures but the 16" looks to be in pretty decent condition still!

Talking about tyres, what tyres are you all using currently? My fren's subaru is using Hankook and they are pretty good. My car currently has the stock Bridgestone Potenza which I think are great especially on smooth roads. My wife's little March is currently having a set of Bridgestone snow tyres. They pass WOF easily even with the new regulations but I am just keen to get her a set of better tyres. Someone was recommending me a set of Supercat tyres which they say are pretty good tyres for their price.

Talking about tyres, what tyres are you all using currently? My fren's subaru is using Hankook and they are pretty good. My car currently has the stock Bridgestone Potenza which I think are great especially on smooth roads. My wife's little March is currently having a set of Bridgestone snow tyres. They pass WOF easily even with the new regulations but I am just keen to get her a set of better tyres. Someone was recommending me a set of Supercat tyres which they say are pretty good tyres for their price.

Actually, the Hankooks I've been running on the Cefiro for about the last 10-15,000k are Ventus Prime K105. I find them extremely quiet, good handling, and hard wearing, and far better than anything else I've used over the years. I've been very happy with them after having them recommended to me by my tyre guy.

The Bridgestone Turanzas we had on our '97 Stagea were unbelievably short lived for some reason (nearly worn out in 25,000km light use. My tyre dealer agreed and replaced them for Good year NCT5's at a very good discount). I haven't formed an opinion on the Bridgestone B390's we got on our M35 yet since we've only done about 2500km them so far.

Hi Dave, 17's look great in the photo and seem to suit the car well, I'd be sticking with those.

I think I'll stay with these standard 17's on mine as well. The more I look at them the more I like them. At tire change time I'll be looking for a quiet 235/50-17. The calculator listed this as almost a perfect match for the standard 215/55-17.

My current tires are Japanese Bridgestone PZ-1's and I must say they are a good tyre. Very quiet and good in both wet & dry, unfortunitely unavailable outside Japan but i'm sure there will be something similar locally. These cars are so smooth that a quiet tyre is a must as not to spoil the ride.

Thanks Mike. You wouldn't know how wide we can go with M35 and standard rims do you? I'm keen to go a little larger in total diameter over my 215/65/16's as my speedo reads at least 10% high. I was thinking of going to 225/55/17 which I figure will bring it a little closer to the ideal for me.

Thanks Mike. You wouldn't know how wide we can go with M35 and standard rims do you? I'm keen to go a little larger in total diameter over my 215/65/16's as my speedo reads at least 10% high. I was thinking of going to 225/55/17 which I figure will bring it a little closer to the ideal for me.

Dave, after sizing some options on the calculator I had a quick chat to my local tyre guy, as our 17's are only 7" wide he said the 235's would be a good fit but you wouldn't go any wider. I was looking at a 50 profile to retain the stock rolling radius and give a wider stance but a 55 should be fine to correct the speedo error you calculated. Not sure but these may turn out to be an uncommon size and lacking choice though.

I'll have to have another more detailed chat to him.

To clarify so far.

Stock is 215/55-17.

Wider but stock radius is 235/50-17 (max. size)

Wider and taller is 235/55-17

Taller only would be a 225/55-17 as the width change is negligable i think this would just add to the height ratio.

Ok, I got some 19's over the weekend and put them on. They make the car look way better than the fugly 16s it had before. I would really like to drop the car in height, say about 30-40mm to help it sit right on the road and for looks. Let me know what you guys think? (sorry about the average pic)

after2.jpg

Edited by X-Modcarz

Ok, I got some 19's over the weekend and put them on. They make the car look way better than the fugly 16s it had before. I would really like to drop the car in height, say about 30-40mm to help it sit right on the road and for looks. Let me know what you guys think? (sorry about the average pic)

after2.jpg

That looks good, they are nice rims :) . I believe if you're going bigger then the 19" are the best looking size for our cars.

Lowered looks really good too and goes well with the bigger rims, it just depends on who would give a damn about the decreased ride quality.

Years ago I would of done this without thinking twice!

Now I'm having to accept the fact that the family might not like it so much :banana: .

That looks good, they are nice rims :) . I believe if you're going bigger then the 19" are the best looking size for our cars.

Lowered looks really good too and goes well with the bigger rims, it just depends on who would give a damn about the decreased ride quality.

Years ago I would of done this without thinking twice!

Now I'm having to accept the fact that the family might not like it so much :banana: .

But mate, I was researching on the lowering springs and they do come in lowered ones which wouldn't make the riding harder. Its all about right spring rates when you lower it and need the comfort to remain as much as possible. I wouldn't want to go around bouncing around as well so will do the right thing. Cheers