SAU Community

Anyone From Nz?

Well, keep us posted on how those KYB shocks go when you have them installed! If they are better, then they certainly worth every cents considering they are cheaper than the stock ones!

Also, I have been reading about the plenum/intake clean. Anyone has more details on this. Is there someone nice enough to do a photo by photo guide on how it's done? Thanks in advance to whoever is kind enough to do it! Cheers! :D

Yep I too hate things not being right in the car so it will be sooner rather than later. The car was a little 'creaky' over driveways and bumbs when at an angle and the front is a little harsh due to the shocks. Coming from motorbikes I felt that high speed compression was absent (and of course unadjustable on a stock car) so needed it checked out. What they did was loosen all linkages front and rear, lubed and retightened with body weight on. Everything was dry and in need of a reset. The creak has gone and it feels much better all round but the harshness persists and can only be remedied with new shocks. Im told the KYB shocks have a much more progressive action with better damping so will be an improvement over stock. It will have to wait a couple of weeks but hopefully that will be it for now....other than a plenum/intake clean out which I have to find the time to do. :(

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome Ray! Good to see another v35 owner! Which part of NZ are u in? Any photos of your new ride that you can share?

Anyway, my car doesn't seem to have the nav system DVD as well. Mine is a S2 v35 coupe. Anyone has a dvd of the s2 nav system with them that they can make a copy to be sent out, that'll be most appreciated!

Ray, if you are indeed successful on your attempt to include NZ maps, then do share it! :( However, I think someone in Australia was saying it's unlikely to be possible.

As for the english conversion, there's one for the s1 v35, but not sure if it's the same for you. There's someone in NZ that does it. I think the details are in one of Spong's post in this thread.

Again welcome n do keep us updated on your ride! Cheers!

New Owner here, having just bought a 3l 2001 V35, seems to be a Premium model, with Bose stereo half leather seats etc and only 28000kms which after a carefule look over does seem to be genuine

Its got the Nav system but no dvd so I am now looking everywhere to try and find one, I want to see if it can be rebuilt to include Nz maps

Am interested to see that there is someone who can do a conversion on the Satnav display from Japanese to English

and would be interested in finding out how succesful/worthwhile that is

Really great to have another skyline, I have had 3 other cars since I sold my M spec R32 and am glad to be back again

Regards to all.

Win4ever you'll be pleased to know your VQ35DE shouldn't suffer the same carbon buildup fate as those of us with the direct injected VQ25DD and VQ30DD motors, although you may want to do something about the PCV feed back to the intake. Many US G35 owners add a catch can rather than feed oil vapour back into the inlet.

Welcome Ray!

The navigation DVD is a dual layer (8.5GB) disc, and I've successfully made a backup copy of my original S2 disc that works in my car, but Blade_NZ and I tried it in his S1 M35, and it didn't recognise it at all. I suspect the S2 navigation either uses a different version, or Blade's drive is having trouble reading discs. (This apparently is the case with some of the older drives needing the laser cleaned). Getting NZ or Aussie maps done for these units seems very unlikely from all the discussions so far.

Edited by Spong

Thanks Dave for the update! I'll need to research more on the PCV feed back to the intake. not too sure what needs to be done. Is this a DIY job or I'll need a mechanic to do it? I am not a good DIY mechanic, so chances are i'll need professional help! :P

Anyway, car is still being sorted for compliance by the dealer. He'll need to then groom, service n get a AA pre-purchase inspection done for me. So looking increasing likely that it'll only come mid / late next week. Another 1 week to wait i guess.... will then have a better look at what's under the bonnet....

Win4ever you'll be pleased to know your VQ35DE shouldn't suffer the same carbon buildup fate as those of us with the direct injected VQ25DD and VQ30DD motors, although you may want to do something about the PCV feed back to the intake. Many US G35 owners add a catch can rather than feed oil vapour back into the inlet.

Welcome Ray!

The navigation DVD is a dual layer (8.5GB) disc, and I've successfully made a backup copy of my original S2 disc that works in my car, but Blade_NZ and I tried it in his S1 M35, and it didn't recognise it at all. I suspect the S2 navigation either uses a different version, or Blade's drive is having trouble reading discs. (This apparently is the case with some of the older drives needing the laser cleaned). Getting NZ or Aussie maps done for these units seems very unlikely from all the discussions so far.

Welcome Ray! Good to see another v35 owner! Which part of NZ are u in? Any photos of your new ride that you can share?

Anyway, my car doesn't seem to have the nav system DVD as well. Mine is a S2 v35 coupe. Anyone has a dvd of the s2 nav system with them that they can make a copy to be sent out, that'll be most appreciated!

Ray, if you are indeed successful on your attempt to include NZ maps, then do share it! :D However, I think someone in Australia was saying it's unlikely to be possible.

As for the english conversion, there's one for the s1 v35, but not sure if it's the same for you. There's someone in NZ that does it. I think the details are in one of Spong's post in this thread.

Again welcome n do keep us updated on your ride! Cheers!

Am based in Taupo........only just got the car and since then we have been too cold to want to get out with the camera, but will do it soon

I heard that it was probably not too likely to be succesfull with a dvd map conversion, but its gotta be worth looking at tho

I am guessing that mine will be a S1 V35 as its 2001 4dr 3 litre but havent had a chance to confirm that yet

Also heard that there is supposed to be a Nissan day coming up at the Taupo Race Track sometime soon so am trying to find out more bout that

Regards...............

Looking forward to seeing pictures of your car soon then! if it's 2001, I guess it's S1 based on my reading of various threads here!

Do keep us updated on the conversion. Guess you are right, even if it's a slim chance, if you have an idea to make it work, u'll only find out by trying :)

Cheers!

Am based in Taupo........only just got the car and since then we have been too cold to want to get out with the camera, but will do it soon

I heard that it was probably not too likely to be succesfull with a dvd map conversion, but its gotta be worth looking at tho

I am guessing that mine will be a S1 V35 as its 2001 4dr 3 litre but havent had a chance to confirm that yet

Also heard that there is supposed to be a Nissan day coming up at the Taupo Race Track sometime soon so am trying to find out more bout that

Regards...............

Hey Dave, mind giving me a bit more details on the feed back issue you mentioned earlier? I've tried doing some research here and haven't really understand what is really required. Some were suggesting a catch can but there are some who said it's not really needed unless it's a high mileage car.

Can you give me more guidance? Or anyone's explanation on this matter is most appreciated!

Thanks!

Welcome Ray!

Hey Dave, mind giving me a bit more details on the feed back issue you mentioned earlier? I've tried doing some research here and haven't really understand what is really required. Some were suggesting a catch can but there are some who said it's not really needed unless it's a high mileage car.

Can you give me more guidance? Or anyone's explanation on this matter is most appreciated!

Thanks!

I'm no expert in this area, and have just been reading up, like you. Chad_Bob has a real grip on this issue in the following thread:

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/Di...60#entry5349072

In addition, from what I read, it's a popular mod by some G35 owners in the USA, but I have no idea how serious the problem is for "day to day drivers" of the MPI VQ35DE motors. See: www.g35driver.com

As you'll see, this is primarily a problem for those of us with VQ25DD and VQ30DD motors.

Chad_bob found a far amount of oil being fed from the rocker cover (driver's side) back into his intake. A catch can would collect the solids and still allow proper ventilation, however he solved the problem by re-routing the existing plumbing. Along with exhaust gasses being recycled back into the intake, the Di engines suffer a terrible buildup, as you'll see from the photos. Sadly, there's no vapourised fuel mixture to help dilute this potent mixture, so it settles in the intake area. Your VQ35DE shouldn't suffer to the same extent because there's no EGR, and the small amount of oil from the PCV probably gets washed away by the vapourised fuel from the EFI system. In our Di engines, fuel is injected directly into the combustion chambers, so there's no moist fuel mixture to help clean the intake. I'll probably tackle this cleanout around the end of the year when I get the time. I can't say I'm looking forward to it.

Edited by Spong

Thanks heaps Dave for the update! Really appreciate it mate!

Well, since I am here, tot I'll update on things with my car.

v35 - Done compliance today. Waiting for dealer to update and looking to collect it sometime tomorrow or Thursday.

mazda - Finally sold today. Finalising the deal tomorrow lunch to pass the car to that new owner. hopefully he'll be as proud as me having the car :)

Certainly looking fwd for the new car to come. Probably gonna drive it down to the ski field soon for a snowboarding trip as well as to try out the car! :D

I'm no expert in this area, and have just been reading up, like you. Chad_Bob has a real grip on this issue in the following thread:

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/Di...60#entry5349072

In addition, from what I read, it's a popular mod by some G35 owners in the USA, but I have no idea how serious the problem is for "day to day drivers" of the MPI VQ35DE motors. See: www.g35driver.com

As you'll see, this is primarily a problem for those of us with VQ25DD and VQ30DD motors.

Chad_bob found a far amount of oil being fed from the rocker cover (driver's side) back into his intake. A catch can would collect the solids and still allow proper ventilation, however he solved the problem by re-routing the existing plumbing. Along with exhaust gasses being recycled back into the intake, the Di engines suffer a terrible buildup, as you'll see from the photos. Sadly, there's no vapourised fuel mixture to help dilute this potent mixture, so it settles in the intake area. Your VQ35DE shouldn't suffer to the same extent because there's no EGR, and the small amount of oil from the PCV probably gets washed away by the vapourised fuel from the EFI system. In our Di engines, fuel is injected directly into the combustion chambers, so there's no moist fuel mixture to help clean the intake. I'll probably tackle this cleanout around the end of the year when I get the time. I can't say I'm looking forward to it.

I'm also very keen to know how the KYB shocks perform. I've been investigating getting replacement shocks and are looking to purchase the Tokico HP or D-Spec. I can land the HP's for around $600 and the D-Spec adjustable shocks for $1k from www.shox.com.

I was quoted ~$1200 for a full set of Bilsteins but reports from G35driver all indicate they perform closely to the OEM versions. I want something a little firmer.

Also I'm curious to know whether anyone has removed the catalytic convertor from a DD motor and what their impressions were after the removal.

Thanks heaps Dave for the update! Really appreciate it mate!

Well, since I am here, tot I'll update on things with my car.

v35 - Done compliance today. Waiting for dealer to update and looking to collect it sometime tomorrow or Thursday.

mazda - Finally sold today. Finalising the deal tomorrow lunch to pass the car to that new owner. hopefully he'll be as proud as me having the car :)

Certainly looking fwd for the new car to come. Probably gonna drive it down to the ski field soon for a snowboarding trip as well as to try out the car! :D

Well done on selling your Atenza with impeccable timing :down:

Look forward to seeing the photos and report on the V35.

Well done on selling your Atenza with impeccable timing :O

Look forward to seeing the photos and report on the V35.

I second that...well done!

And yes photos are required, although I am finding that a little difficult myself with the current weather patterns.

My car is in for front shocks tomorrow so I'll let you know how it all goes. Already been in for a first attempt on Monday but I'll let you have the full story when I get all the facts straight.

Dave and Mike,

Thanks for the well wishes! Yeah! I have to say it's near perfect timing! The happy new owner of the Atenza came and collected the car today. It would have been perfect if compliance for my v35 can be done today so that I can get the car tomorrow. Unfortunately, there seems to be a queue in the compliance centre that my dealer sent the car to esp when he has like 5 to 6 cars to get complied.

I've been harassing him to try to push for the car to get done quickly and the latest news is he said the guy in the compliance centre is promising him the cars tomorrow! So fingers crossed, we can get it registered tomorrow and Friday so I can have the car at least by the weekend. The car is already in compliance since Monday so hopefully it will be out!

Once I get the car, I'll try 2 post some photos. The excitement and suspense is slowly turning into a little bit of frustration now so hopefully it'll be over soon.

Anyway, Mike, do update us on your shocks! Hope things go well and the shocks will be better than the stock ones!

Well, just had the front shocks fitted at Wairau Alignment & Suspension Centre and I must say there is a big difference. They are awesome! They feel heaps better than stock (albeit leaking stock). Gave them about 15min bed-in then drove the route I take daily. Best way to describe is firmer but more compliant, no longer harsh with less dive...very happy! :) .

They ended up using KYB 350Z Premuim replacements that were a direct swap for mine (which I kept), and at only $225 ea. is a bargain for a premium shock.

The ones they got in originally, that apparently were for a stagea, were wrong and after compairing all specs & dimensions found the Z ones to be a full match. He's now checking for rear ones just for future reference.

The guy's are great and very helpful and I can recommend them for any undercar work. Good pricing too!

It was funny, the mechanic came out to talk with me, asking me to leave the car with him. He absolutely loved it and said he's now going to get one for himself.

After picking my brains for all the details I left them all in office huddled around the computer looking at Stagea listings on trade me. :P

The stags do seem to get some good comments from mechanics. Last time I took mine to get the brake rotors machined the same thing happened. They are a particularly attractive chassis from the underside, this may be the reason for the comments, the aluminium suspension arms and aluminium fabricated rear sub frame are just too sexy.

Hey Mike! Great news on the shocks! Now u can enjoy the stag even more! :)

Is the $225 inclusive of labour? If it is, it sounds like a steal actually! I assume it will fit the v35 as well right? Something for me to keep in mind for the future (touch wood, if the need arise) :wub:

Gotta say for me, I haven't really seen a lot of stags on the roads so it's good you and Chad are spreading the words on how good they are! Really hope we can c more of the stags and v35s around. We need to really build a community of Nissan lovers like the guys in Oz! :)

Well, just had the front shocks fitted at Wairau Alignment & Suspension Centre and I must say there is a big difference. They are awesome! They feel heaps better than stock (albeit leaking stock). Gave them about 15min bed-in then drove the route I take daily. Best way to describe is firmer but more compliant, no longer harsh with less dive...very happy! :D .

They ended up using KYB 350Z Premuim replacements that were a direct swap for mine (which I kept), and at only $225 ea. is a bargain for a premium shock.

The ones they got in originally, that apparently were for a stagea, were wrong and after compairing all specs & dimensions found the Z ones to be a full match. He's now checking for rear ones just for future reference.

The guy's are great and very helpful and I can recommend them for any undercar work. Good pricing too!

It was funny, the mechanic came out to talk with me, asking me to leave the car with him. He absolutely loved it and said he's now going to get one for himself.

After picking my brains for all the details I left them all in office huddled around the computer looking at Stagea listings on trade me. :P

The stags do seem to get some good comments from mechanics. Last time I took mine to get the brake rotors machined the same thing happened. They are a particularly attractive chassis from the underside, this may be the reason for the comments, the aluminium suspension arms and aluminium fabricated rear sub frame are just too sexy.

Agreed, they do look very good underneath...definitely a sports wagon. Just so much better than the holdens!

Hey Mike! Great news on the shocks! Now u can enjoy the stag even more! :)

Is the $225 inclusive of labour? If it is, it sounds like a steal actually! I assume it will fit the v35 as well right? Something for me to keep in mind for the future (touch wood, if the need arise) :D

Gotta say for me, I haven't really seen a lot of stags on the roads so it's good you and Chad are spreading the words on how good they are! Really hope we can c more of the stags and v35s around. We need to really build a community of Nissan lovers like the guys in Oz! :thumbsup:

Hi Loh, Yes very happy, and I am loving the car. It would have to be the best 'total package' car I've owned.

The $225 was exclusive. The total bill was $670 with an alighnment check. I think that is very reasonable for such a job and yes these do fit the V35 as well. Chassis is essentially the same, certainly at the front.

I'm actually seeing heaps of these around now, certainly a case of seeing what your driving. Even a white taxi yesterday.

My neighbour, after a test drive, is now looking for one. So much car for the money really!

Cheers!

Mike, sorry if I offend anyone esp those from Oz, but I gotta say, i think the Stag is much much better looking than any of the holden wagons! And I do believe they are more reliable too! I've got a few old work mates fr my previous jobs that just absolutely hate holdens as theirs have just given them too much pain! :)

As for me, I'll take a Nissan over a Holden anyday esp. the v35s! :thumbsup:

Agreed, they do look very good underneath...definitely a sports wagon. Just so much better than the holdens!

Mike, sorry if I offend anyone esp those from Oz, but I gotta say, i think the Stag is much much better looking than any of the holden wagons! And I do believe they are more reliable too! I've got a few old work mates fr my previous jobs that just absolutely hate holdens as theirs have just given them too much pain! :D

As for me, I'll take a Nissan over a Holden anyday esp. the v35s! :thumbsup:

I totally agree with everything there and I speak from experience! For the last 13 years I have had a '99 VT wagon equipe that i put 160k on and a '06 SV6 sedan that I put 50k on. Neither come close to the stag! :) . As for the aussies on here...don't worry. I don't think too many would put the holden before a skyline/stag.

Edited by Blade NZ