SAU Community

How To Remove R32 Gtr Steering Wheel

Sean'O

Hey,

Before this DIY just to reiterate my car does not have an airbag, if your car does you may have to hunt around to find the correct procedure to remove your steering wheel as you don't want the airbag going off in your face. The usual warning applies too, do this at your own risk, I'm only showing how I did it, I'm not responsible for any damage to your car

Difficulty: Low

Time: ~30 - 60 minutes

Tools you will need

- Screwdriver set

- Socket set (preferably a very sturdy big one, with extension bar and a 19mm socket)

- Mallet (Rubber type)

Note: Make sure your wheels are dead straight when you do this so it's easy to put your steering wheel back on straight!

1) Unhook the negative terminal off your battery or alternatively remove the horn 10 amp fuse from the fuse box in your engine bay, do this to save your neighbors all the honking lol

P1040724.jpg

2) Locate your steering wheel :P

3) Get a very (VERY) thin flat head screw driver and very gently slide it under your horn button and lift up. You may have to do this from several angles so it comes out nice and smooth. For God's sake take your time and don't damage anything, not the strongest piece of equipment in your car, but having that said it's pretty easy.

P1040723.jpg

4) Disconnect the power cord going to the steering wheel button

P1040725.jpg

5) Remove all bronze Phillips head screws from inside (the deeper one is grounding the horn button, just remember this will have to go in back the way in came or your horn won't work

P1040728.jpg

6) Remove the plastic rim that was holding the horn in place (again, be gentle)

7) Remove the metal....thing.... from the center of the wheel (it'll just slide out)

P1040731.jpg

8) You are now looking at a big silver nut, grab your 19mm socket and loosen it off but don't take it off, keep it just hanging on by a few threads

P1040727.jpg

9) Grab your mallet and gently but firmly tap the back of the steering wheel whilst supporting it with your knees so it doesn't rattle everywhere, you may have to alternate sides every now and then, just take your time

P1040732.jpg

10) Once the wheel can be "rocked" free, look behind the steering wheel and you'll see a white electrical plug, disconnect this plug

11) Take off the silver nut (remember it was hanging on by a few threads so the wheel doesn't fly off when your pulling on it)

P1040734.jpg

12) Take off the backing plastic shroud and you'll be able to remove the electrical cord

P1040735.jpg

Done! :D

P1040733.jpg

Prior to installing the wheel again, put a little bit of grease on the "teeth" of the steering column as this'll make it slide back on nice n' smooth (plus it'll make it easier to remove the steering wheel in the future)

Installation is the reverse of the above steps,

Any comments or improvements are welcome,

Cheers,

Sean

Quick question why doesnt that Steering wheel have GTR simple on it LOLL

Ummmm........I'm not quite sure what you're asking dude? lol

Ohh right,

Nahh the 32's don't have the GTR symbol in the center of the wheel, see below the R33 GTR steering wheel and then a 34 GTR steering wheel...

3793259623_6be623655e.jpg

1_13_05_2009_14_59_part%20steering%20wheel.jpg

• 2 years later...

This instructions are not correct, I am trying to follow these in my 94 Gtr and first of all the metal thing doesnt come out before the 19 inch nutits slotted underneith the nut so how can you pull it out with the nut still on there?? and i am up to the part where you hammer the steering heel off slightly and how bloody hard to you have to hit this?? I am trying my hardet to pull the thing and its not budging

Got it woohoo.... I found If you hit the steering wheel with your palms left and right like your playing the drums.. It wedges it out of place,. Anyways thanks for this I managed to get it even tho one bit was abit confusing :D

• 6 months later...

R32 GTR Nissan Workshop Manual makes it very clear that:

1. To remove the Horn Button, insert a flathead screwdriver through the slot at the side of the steering column to release the Horn Button from behind.

2. To remove the Steering Wheel, it is not to be struck - no unbalanced axial forces.

The correct tool is a Steering Wheel Puller.

Refer WorkShop Manual Page CH-315.

R32 GTR Nissan Workshop Manual makes it very clear that:

1. To remove the Horn Button, insert a flathead screwdriver through the slot at the side of the steering column to release the Horn Button from behind.

2. To remove the Steering Wheel, it is not to be struck - no unbalanced axial forces.

The correct tool is a Steering Wheel Puller.

Refer WorkShop Manual Page CH-315.

Thanks for the info mate, you're 100% correct on that one.

I didn't have access to the workshop manual at the time of the original write up

For those playing at home, Link - Page 592

what I did with my steering wheel was left the bolt on with a couple of thread and just pulled the steering wheel towards myself as hard as I could, until it flew at me (but the bolt stops it from attacking you) at least with this method you don't have to whack the steering wheel ;)

• 1 month later...

I managed to replace the steering wheel with a Momo corse And I have used A HKB Boss Kit Hicas Compatible....

Now I really dont get it... How sensitve is the Steering angle sensor? WHen I am cruising down the highway and give it a hit which activates the HICAS... It must detect that my steering wheel is not straight and the HICAS light now comes on.. Stays on until I turn the car off. When I turn it back on it only comes back when I am driving straight for awhile and give it a hit.

I am confused as to what needs to line up there are no proper instructions All I see on the boss hub is an arrow pointing UP and it says TOP next to it. I tried to line it up while the car was In park position .. the wheels did look straight but I found out when I started to drive that it wasnt It was pointing at 1 o Clock.... My question is is this what is making the HICAS come on ? How sensitive is it? I am practically doing this blind as I cannot find any documentation saying how to install a HICAS steering wheel back on a r32 gTR

Can someone help please ??

Edited by GTRAAH

• 1 year later...

Hey all,

I know this is an old thread but I recently had to do this again and I was unable to find the "hole" in the steering column to pop out the horn from the rear. As it turns out the R32 GTR steering wheels come in two varities depening on the age. The older style wheel has plastic on the back which follows the wheel spokes (such as the one I have). The other newer variety has a round plastic cover on the back. This newer style wheel is the one mentioned in the service manual. I was unable to see any way to access the horn from the rear via the steering column so I ended up using the same method for extracting the horn button.

There is another thread with somebody showing the two styles of wheels on this forum.

I hope this update is of use to somebody out there.

Cheers,

Sean

Few issues with some things in this DIY

1. The R32 GTR steering wheel does have GTR embossed on the horn button (or it's been replaced with a GTS/t's)

2. Should be no need to remove the plastic at the back of the steering wheel

3. Should not need to remove the "metal thing" when removing the steering wheel either

4. The horn connector unclips and you can even feed the wires through the square hole

5. Never wobble the steering wheel from side to side to release the wheel (if you cant pull it straight back then use the puller)

6. Horn button is removed using a small flathead from the front

The other thread does have a Picture of the 89-92 and 93-94. But I believe both are removed and fitted the same.

• Like 1

Hey all,

Here is the thread I mentioned earlier where they are discussing the 'newer' and 'older' style of steering wheels: http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/topic/349288-fitting-an-original-r32-gtr-steering-wheel/

"Older" style below - See plastic spokes that follow wheel at the back

Older style BNR32 wheel

"Newer" style below - See round plastic behind wheel

Newer style BNR32 wheel

Here is a screen shot of the workshop manual - appears to be the 'newer' style of wheel with the round plastic with a hole at the base allowing you to remove the horn. The 'older' style of wheel does not have this hole. If anybody with a 1994 GTR could take a few pictures of their steering wheel we can compare.

Workshop Manual

Cheers,
Sean