SAU Community

I Think I Wrote Off My Car

xALmoN

The mech's friend who's a panel beater came to look at it today, its most likely a write off, there are some other places that i didn't get a picture of that are worse, my tire rubs on the body, and there's a dent on the roof, i dont know how that happened.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

dont rkn thats a write off looks like panels only

nowadays doesnt take much for a car to be a write off

considering the damage you would be replacing replacing rear bar, tail lights, quarter panel Maybe 2 cant see the otherside, then you would have to pull the back panel out (maybe replace)

it all adds up, cheaper for insurance to just class it as a writeoff and pay you out

The story goes like this...

I had just collected my car from the mechanics for an oil change and transmission fluid change. The car was all good to go. And on the way home, less than 500m from the mechanic, the lights turned amber, so i stopped because i was pretty far away. The next thing i know, a barina ploughed into me.

An old lady was driving it, her airbags were deployed, so that must mean that the impact was pretty large. She was fine though, just in shock, her radiator fluid was all over the place, and the front end was wrecked.

So, I don't have insurance, well, i was meaning to get a 3rd party cover with JustCar but in the end, i couldn't really be bothered, i kept on procrastinating and then shit happened.

So, what do i do to make a claim on her insurance? She said pensioners insurance, so i'm expecting its APIA.

Other than a sore neck, and an undrivable car, I'm fine, if anyone cares.

This happened yesterday afternoon, and thus, i'm no longer gay, because i no longer drive a supra.

Unlucky mate, its just good that your both okay. Hopefully the old lady doesnt give you too much grief and you can either get it repaired under insurance or get paid out so you can get that SupraTT :P

you need her to lodge a claqim and get the claim number off her....then your panel beater will do the rest....no need to get lawyers,we do it all the time at work

are you a panel beater?

but what if its a write off? the panel beater won't get anything then.

So, i need an insurance claim number from her eh? I'll call her tomorrow for it then.

are you a panel beater?

So, i need an insurance claim number from her eh? I'll call her tomorrow for it then.

yep thats how it works....If its a total loss like you say the panel beater wont get anything anyway right??????????

are you a panel beater?

Her insurance will want you to take it to one of their panel beaters for an assessment. Tell them the car is undriveable and where it is located. Reluctantly they will arrange for an assessor to go and have a look at it. From there it will no doubt be written off and they will offer you a sum of money to replace it. They may or may not wish to keep the car.

Be careful. I'm in a biffo with the RACV at the moment. They have offered me $1,850 for my Datsun, which I decided to reluctantly agree only for them to tell me that they will then take out the cost of rego, prorated, meaning they pay me $1400 and I then go and cash in the rego to bring it up to $1800. So they are including the left over rego as part of the cost of the car. f**kers.

You shouldn't need a mechanic, insurance company (apart from hers) or a lawer involved. It's a straight forward accident with no question who is at fault.

bullshit on the car going to there repairer........mobile or not....with a third party claim your panel beater will have an independant assesor that they use (and he will be a member of the assesors association) and his assesment will be recognized as fair and resonable

actually the panel beater will get to charge storage cost's and a loan car if he has one

oooh, so the panel beater does get something out of it, then thats not to bad, for the panel beater, as long as i don't pay a cent.

@cowboy1600,

so i have to ask them how the payment is done exactly? and i can cash out my rego?

I never knew that, thought it'd be just gone like that.

in regards to third party claims the insurance company has no right to the vehicle once they have paid out(unless you agree otherwise)for example RACV will normally do this .......XXX model car worth 10K pre accident.....salvage value on the wreck 2k...they will pay you 8k and leave you the wreck....API is under written by AAMI....they will most likely hit you with a figure and they take the bones away

bullshit on the car going to there repairer........mobile or not....with a third party claim your panel beater will have an independant assesor that they use (and he will be a member of the assesors association) and his assesment will be recognized as fair and resonable

I never said their repairer. I said their ASSESSOR.

How about reading properly before the potty mouth? At some stage during the process they will have their ASSESSOR look at the car. Whether it is at one of their authorised repairers or by one of their mobile assessors, it will happen.

i might also add that in RACV's case they have agreements with certain places for tender on the bones....for example they send photos to them and ask them to put a figure on the wreck....then they deduct that from your payment and give you the number of the people that put in the tender and they are on contract to stick to there figure and take it away and pay you direct...

they have no legal right to take it to there recommended repairer as you stated in your above post....there assesor will come to your panel shop to have a look at it and filter the independant assessors quote....but thats all, he may ask.....but your no obligated to let him move it.....i deal with these people everyday,i know how it works.If they try play hardball tell them your going to a third party recovery agent and watch them give in.......And if your letting them walk all over you with your datsun your not playing the game properly....and i assure you RACV is by far the worst,they will lie to you on many occasions to stall payment and try and offer you well under what the vehicle is worth

Edited by ylwgtr2

Interesting, i haven't even spoken with anyone from her insurance yet, but i've gotten a quote, i dont want the bones of the car, what do i do with the bones of the car anyway?

i will also add if your panel beater is a recommended repairer of RACV.....i was asked to have an RACV sign and declined as they make you sign a contract saying that you wont do third party claims against them....edit sorry was confused with all this RACV and API talk.....your API will be fine

Edited by ylwgtr2

Interesting, i haven't even spoken with anyone from her insurance yet, but i've gotten a quote, i dont want the bones of the car, what do i do with the bones of the car anyway?
API is under written by AAMI....they will most likely hit you with a figure and they take the bones away