SAU Community

Sau Track Day @ Winton

Cowboy1600

Actually I'd say it's very different. There's no pressure to perform during a non-competitive fun day and no jostling for position or trying to race the clock.

And again, I'll reiterate, if they can put on a fun day for 110-120 (my estimate from last weekend) cars for $30 each then one would figure they could do essentially the same thing for 60-70 cars for ~$100.

FYI there was actually 457 entries at winton fun day just gone.

Cheers

Campbell

Actually I'd say it's very different. There's no pressure to perform during a non-competitive fun day and no jostling for position or trying to race the clock.

Forgive my ignorance perhaps, but just becuase your laps are being timed doesn't have to put you under pressure...

The only thing that would cause anyone at a track day to feel pressured into doing fast times is themselves...

If people don't think they can control themself and keep their driving within their own limits, then they probably don't belong behind the wheel of a car, let alone flogging their car on a racetrack.

And also like to point out that there is no jostling for postion at a track day, dangerous overtaking manoeuvre's are not allowed and you can only pass cars on the straights.

I would imagine that in any case, if you want to drive your car on a track, you will be pushing it hard.

if you just want a FUN leisurely drive, just go for a cruise through the hills...

If you want to enjoy pushing your car to the limits come to a track day, if the fact that it is timed bothers you, just don't look at the results!!

I have been to several winton fun days, I just felt like I was on my normal drive home from work on the freeway! Traffic Everywhere!

If anything its much more dangerous as you are mixing people who are traveling at vastly different speeds together on a track.

At least on a track day you are grouped with people who should be traveling around at the same speed as you.

It is a much more controlled environment.

Just some things to think about.

FYI there was actually 457 entries at winton fun day just gone.

Cheers

Campbell

457?

Where did that number come from?

There were roughly 70 cars on the track at any one time (I counted one session that was fairly consistent with the rest of the sessions).

There were about 12 x 25 minute sessions over the day (I was there for the first @ ~11am, on track for the second then did every second one until about 4pm [may have missed one] - I did 4 sessions in total).

So there was enough room for ~840 cars in total, assuming I can count. If there were 457 cars over around 840 cars on track throughout the whole day, no one did more than 2 sessions, or else someone would have had to do none.

Are you sure there wasn't say 200 cars and 257 spectators? That would make much, much more sense.

I'll be absolutely stunned if 457 individual cars hit the track throughout the day.

457?

Where did that number come from?

There were roughly 70 cars on the track at any one time (I counted one session that was fairly consistent with the rest of the sessions).

There were about 12 x 25 minute sessions over the day (I was there for the first @ ~11am, on track for the second then did every second one until about 4pm [may have missed one] - I did 4 sessions in total).

So there was enough room for ~840 cars in total, assuming I can count. If there were 457 cars over around 840 cars on track throughout the whole day, no one did more than 2 sessions, or else someone would have had to do none.

Are you sure there wasn't say 200 cars and 257 spectators? That would make much, much more sense.

I'll be absolutely stunned if 457 individual cars hit the track throughout the day.

Well be stunned, we where there for fun day and stayed for sprints the next day.

The organiser said it in the drivers brefing, i was suprised too.

You have to take in to account that some people dont have the most reliable cars.

Forgive my ignorance perhaps, but just becuase your laps are being timed doesn't have to put you under pressure...

The only thing that would cause anyone at a track day to feel pressured into doing fast times is themselves...

If people don't think they can control themself and keep their driving within their own limits, then they probably don't belong behind the wheel of a car, let alone flogging their car on a racetrack.

And also like to point out that there is no jostling for postion at a track day, dangerous overtaking manoeuvre's are not allowed and you can only pass cars on the straights.

I would imagine that in any case, if you want to drive your car on a track, you will be pushing it hard.

if you just want a FUN leisurely drive, just go for a cruise through the hills...

If you want to enjoy pushing your car to the limits come to a track day, if the fact that it is timed bothers you, just don't look at the results!!

I have been to several winton fun days, I just felt like I was on my normal drive home from work on the freeway! Traffic Everywhere!

If anything its much more dangerous as you are mixing people who are traveling at vastly different speeds together on a track.

At least on a track day you are grouped with people who should be traveling around at the same speed as you.

I agree with Matt :)

Campbell

Yeah, on second thoughts many of your points are probably pretty spot on.

But this isn't a "do a fun day, not a race day" argument.

I know I want to do everything I can possibly get to. So the more options I have, the better.

The idea of say 80 odd SAU and friends at Winton for the day is certainly appealing. And paying $100 or even $150 for the privilege would be very worth it IMO.

Can u do whatever u like on track?

Within reason and as per the rules of the day.

If the rules of the day say no drifting, then you will get upped if you're ripping the handbrake into every turn and keeping it pinned in third sideways. A bit of tail out is fine, but drifting is not.

So on and so forth. At the Fun Day they told you what was and what wasn't allowed. From there it's pure common sense as to what you think you should and shouldn't do.

Well be stunned, we where there for fun day and stayed for sprints the next day.

The organiser said it in the drivers brefing, i was suprised too.

You have to take in to account that some people dont have the most reliable cars.

So you're taking that number from what the organiser said during the briefing?

And how would he actually know seeing as only half the cars had been through scrutineering at that stage and probably only 1/4 of the people had actually paid up. There's no way there was 750 people standing at the briefing. I'd say 300 tops and every third car had one or two hangers on.

It sounds to me like a bit of an arbitrary figure to try and scare the noobs (myself included) into following instructions and being careful. 457 sure sounds like a lot so we'd better listen to every word he's saying! It probably worked too. I still doubt there were 457 cars there.

So you're taking that number from what the organiser said during the briefing?

And how would he actually know seeing as only half the cars had been through scrutineering at that stage and probably only 1/4 of the people had actually paid up. There's no way there was 750 people standing at the briefing. I'd say 300 tops and every third car had one or two hangers on.

It sounds to me like a bit of an arbitrary figure to try and scare the noobs (myself included) into following instructions and being careful. 457 sure sounds like a lot so we'd better listen to every word he's saying! It probably worked too. I still doubt there were 457 cars there.

Said it at the sprints briefing the next day :D

also mentioned that it was the 2nd most amount of cars that had entered a fun day.

There was 457 entries done ;)

Said it at the sprints briefing the next day :whistling:

also mentioned that it was the 2nd most amount of cars that had entered a fun day.

There was 457 entries done :teehee:

Well if there were 457 cars there then a day with even 200 would be great.

I'm still not sure I believe it. I think maybe 457 people, including spectators, but either way, in relative terms, halve the number of cars and double the price and it'd be a cracking day.

Well if there were 457 cars there then a day with even 200 would be great.

I'm still not sure I believe it. I think maybe 457 people, including spectators, but either way, in relative terms, halve the number of cars and double the price and it'd be a cracking day.

457 entries not CARS, this means everyone who entered.

If you passenger at a fun day you still have to enter.

457 entries not CARS, this means everyone who entered.

If you passenger at a fun day you still have to enter.

Well that's what I've been alluding to the entire thread. You could reasonably extrapolate that out to mean if they can do 250 cars + associates for $30 then they should be able to do 70-80 cars + associates for around $120 to $150.

Quibbles, nitpicks and hair-splitting be damned! :thumbsup:

I want a Winton fun/track day... I'd be entering as a 'friend' of course, just so you blokes get to hear a bit of V8 roar and bellow :ph34r:

Make it happen Cowboy!

• 4 weeks later...
For what it's worth Winton Drift Days are capped at 80 and cost $140 for the day - there is a $25 extra fee for carrying passengers. Hope this offers some insight

It does indeed.

Tho I've just started a new job and haven't had time to scratch myself lately.

It will happen though.

Quibbles, nitpicks and hair-splitting be damned! :laugh:

I want a Winton fun/track day... I'd be entering as a 'friend' of course, just so you blokes get to hear a bit of V8 roar and bellow ;)

Make it happen Cowboy!

done :( i attended deca last week and i brought one of my v8's.

got plenty of comments and compliments. glad i took the rear pipe's off too

dave.