SAU Community

What Is Wrong With My R34?

Hi all,

Just returned car to stock after getting defected. (well everything except the exhaust)

Removed the FMIC and put the SMIC on

Removed the pod filter and put the stock airbox in

Removed the PowerFC and put the stock ECU in

Removed the Z32 and put the stock AFM in

No longer have BoV, just the stock one.

I start the car and it seems to idle funny and is blowing black smoke, does anyone know what could of caused my car to suddenly start blowing black smoke on idle?

I am at a loss.

Matt

a. did you rewire the plug properly when changing back to standard afm?

b. did the wires on the afm touch while doing the rewire? as a short circuit between them can blow a main engine control fuse which makes it run like shit

c. do you have standard injectors? because aftermarket injectors on the standrd ecu will also cause this

d. did you check the hoses, joiners etc for cracks and tighten all hoseclamps properly as vacumn leak can also cause this

a. did you rewire the plug properly when changing back to standard afm?

b. did the wires on the afm touch while doing the rewire? as a short circuit between them can blow a main engine control fuse which makes it run like shit

c. do you have standard injectors? because aftermarket injectors on the standrd ecu will also cause this

d. did you check the hoses, joiners etc for cracks and tighten all hoseclamps properly as vacumn leak can also cause this

a. the plug for the standard AFM was never removed, the plug + wiring was spliced off the original one (if that makes sense, it was done by an auto electritian) however there was a 4th wire added, which is an earth, which i currently have earthed? should i just unearth it and put tape or something over it and see if it works?

b. see above.

c. i am pretty sure i have standard injectors, i've only had the ecu + afm in the car for 2 weeks, injectors have not been touched during this time

d. all the hoses are tight and the clamps are also done up tight.

Do you think i should check my fuse box and see if i have had a short?

Hi all,

Just returned car to stock after getting defected. (well everything except the exhaust)

Removed the FMIC and put the SMIC on

Removed the pod filter and put the stock airbox in

Removed the PowerFC and put the stock ECU in

Removed the Z32 and put the stock AFM in

No longer have BoV, just the stock one.

I start the car and it seems to idle funny and is blowing black smoke, does anyone know what could of caused my car to suddenly start blowing black smoke on idle?

I am at a loss.

Matt

running rich, i guess leave it until you get it off defect and put everything you had back on it.

It is a factory stock standard ECU, how would i reset it?

easy to reset the ecu. pull the negative terminal from your battery over night (couple of hours should be fine)

then start up your car wen you have wired it up in the morning and let it idle for 10mins. dont press accelerator at all.

Edited by daniel123

Hey guys,

I went to try your suggestion this morning however it now the car will not start.

I hear the starter motor winding, and the car is trying to get ignition, it kind of half gets the ignition but then dies and just keeps winding. I suspected maybe my engine was flooded so i pulled out the sparkplugs and sure enough they were completely black and covered in carbon, i cleaned them off.

I have been doing some reading in other threads etc, if my engine is indeed flooded, i'm sure by now it would of been with all that trying to start it. Should i put everything back together, re-seat all of my intercooler piping (making sure the insides are all clean before i do so) then try and start it with a WOT? From what i have read this will burn up all excess fuel in the engine.

Then let the car idle for 10mins (battery has been disconnected for like 8 hours or so).

Am i missing anything from this plan of attack?

I do greatly appreciate all your help.

PS: I think i found the original problem though, it was one of the seals connected directly to the SMIC, it didn't appear to be fastened properly :)

Hey guys,

I went to try your suggestion this morning however it now the car will not start.

I hear the starter motor winding, and the car is trying to get ignition, it kind of half gets the ignition but then dies and just keeps winding. I suspected maybe my engine was flooded so i pulled out the sparkplugs and sure enough they were completely black and covered in carbon, i cleaned them off.

I have been doing some reading in other threads etc, if my engine is indeed flooded, i'm sure by now it would of been with all that trying to start it. Should i put everything back together, re-seat all of my intercooler piping (making sure the insides are all clean before i do so) then try and start it with a WOT? From what i have read this will burn up all excess fuel in the engine.

Then let the car idle for 10mins (battery has been disconnected for like 8 hours or so).

Am i missing anything from this plan of attack?

I do greatly appreciate all your help.

PS: I think i found the original problem though, it was one of the seals connected directly to the SMIC, it didn't appear to be fastened properly :)

did the seal fix your problem? to me i dont think it would, it wont cause overfueling, it will just give you a boost leak

Mate, you have a boost leak somewhere along the intake side of the engine. Double check all intercooler piping and vac lines. This will scenario will happen if there is a boost leak.

Hey, Just posting an update, took the sparks out, cleaned them and put them back in, cleaned all the seals and piping for the smic, however i think i have my vacuum hoses in the wrong spot, the one i have marked with yellow on the pictures below looks wrong.

If anyone knows what hoses i shhould change based on the pics below it would be greatly appreciated.

http://img337.imageshack.us/i/after1.jpg/

http://img412.imageshack.us/i/after5h.jpg/

http://img231.imageshack.us/i/after2s.jpg/

http://img155.imageshack.us/i/after3k.jpg/

http://img217.imageshack.us/i/after4.jpg/

Once someone can tell me where the mistake is, ill fix it and try starting the car.

Cheers for all the help so far guys!

nah look shalf wrong

for a start the line to the bov shouldnt have a t in it . not that there is anything wrong with it but its not like that fornt the factory. and also the nipple your red line is plummed to should be connected to the factory bost sensor on the fire wall ill try find a pic .

nah look shalf wrong

for a start the line to the bov shouldnt have a t in it . not that there is anything wrong with it but its not like that fornt the factory. and also the nipple your red line is plummed to should be connected to the factory bost sensor on the fire wall ill try find a pic .

Sweet, what about the thing the line i have marked in yellow, what are the things it connects to on both ends called?

- The thing down next to the Left Headlight

- The other end, and what is supposed to go into the other end? It is just connected to a tube with no further connection at the moment.

With regards to the Tee's i dont know why they are there, i guess they were used by a previous owner for an aftermarket boost gauge or something, they have been there this whole time and the car ran like a dream, until the defect and i pulled it all apart lol