SAU Community

Advice Please On The Following R32 Gtr

A 60 year old could thrash the GTR(especially if he is an enthusiast, track days etc.), equally, with the 20 year old...

Back on topic...

- Let him drive it, it gives you an indication on how he treats it.

- Does he seem desperate to sell it? (Retirement is not a good excuse, really..)

- Re-assure him your a member of the SAU and your going to look after it as he did.

- Try to take the side skirt of to see if there is any rust present.

- Put it up on a hoist to look for further rust, accident repair etc..

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheers,

He took me for a run yesterday, he was pretty sedate, gave it a little squirt, but that's it. A few people have vouched for his character now, he's a member of a vintage car club my parents belong to.

He's not desperate enough! hence the higher price. He has quite a few cars, and not enough room for them all, and his wife has apparently put her foot down.

He's also given me the details of the importer he bought it off so I can inquire about the condition of the car when it first came in.

A 60 year old could thrash the GTR(especially if he is an enthusiast, track days etc.), equally, with the 20 year old...

Back on topic...

- Let him drive it, it gives you an indication on how he treats it.

- Does he seem desperate to sell it? (Retirement is not a good excuse, really..)

- Re-assure him your a member of the SAU and your going to look after it as he did.

- Try to take the side skirt of to see if there is any rust present.

- Put it up on a hoist to look for further rust, accident repair etc..

Greg from Autosport Engineering knows a lot about GTR's and he's not that far from the Gong, although I'm not sure if he will travel to inspect a car, but you can certainly ask him.

155 Bath Rd Kirrawee NSW 2232

(02) 9521 1388

Greg from Autosport Engineering knows a lot about GTR's and he's not that far from the Gong, although I'm not sure if he will travel to inspect a car, but you can certainly ask him.

155 Bath Rd Kirrawee NSW 2232

(02) 9521 1388

Thanks mate, it would cost me $300 to get NRMA or State roads to do it, but I'd rather someone who actually knows the cars, so I'll offer him $300 and see if he's interested maybe? worth a shot.

Hmm, my old 32 have zero weld marks... Straight as a dime with 67 genuine kms and a fresh built motor making 430 @ 19psi, capable of 25+. There wasn't a scratch on the car (original pant & zero rust) when I sold it (except some chips on the front lip) and no dash bubble. Sold that for 24.5k though.

25455_394576114080_688359080_3872810_5870480_n.jpg

25455_394576119080_688359080_3872811_5276958_n.jpg

23474_340794949080_688359080_3525434_1374916_n.jpg

My point being, there is plenty to look for so don't rush into a decision..... Drive a few and you'll get a general idea of whats good and what isn't. Plus, he's not had much interest so it can always be a "fall back"

Edited by Ten Four

Cheers,

He took me for a run yesterday, he was pretty sedate, gave it a little squirt, but that's it. A few people have vouched for his character now, he's a member of a vintage car club my parents belong to.

He's not desperate enough! hence the higher price. He has quite a few cars, and not enough room for them all, and his wife has apparently put her foot down.

He's also given me the details of the importer he bought it off so I can inquire about the condition of the car when it first came in.

Please give me the name of the importer!! Hope it's not Edward Lee's...

I agree with the above, don't rush into buying a car, especially if it's 20 years old.

KEEP HAGGLING!!! and keep us updated!

No, not Edward Lees... I cant even find where I wrote it down now, I hadn't heard of him before.

I spoke to State Roads today and arranged for a comprehensive inspection this Thursday. I'm told

the mechanic inspecting it knows his way around all GT-Rs and has inspected many R32s. If the report

is in anyway less than stellar, I'll walk away as I'm not looking to buy something I have to sink money into.

Out of interest, how many people have had to replace their stock turbos? with a completely stock engine

and stock boost I mean? just been reading some horror stories and scaring myself.

Please give me the name of the importer!! Hope it's not Edward Lee's...

I agree with the above, don't rush into buying a car, especially if it's 20 years old.

KEEP HAGGLING!!! and keep us updated!

Thanks mate, I'm beginning to have some second thoughts about the whole buying a GTR thing... it seems like

russian roulette?

Is it possible to find a stock r32 in good nick that will just drive around trouble free if looked after? or is this a bit

of a dream? are they simply too old now? am I better off buying a VW golf??

This is actually kinda stressful!

Hmm, my old 32 have zero weld marks... Straight as a dime with 67 genuine kms and a fresh built motor making 430 @ 19psi, capable of 25+. There wasn't a scratch on the car (original pant & zero rust) when I sold it (except some chips on the front lip) and no dash bubble. Sold that for 24.5k though.

My point being, there is plenty to look for so don't rush into a decision..... Drive a few and you'll get a general idea of whats good and what isn't. Plus, he's not had much interest so it can always be a "fall back"

They are around. The bloke who bought mine said mine was the 14th he looked at and was in by far the best condition. He called wed morning, flew here thurs night and he flew back friday arvo when I dropped it off at the depot.

(Looked stock as a rock under the hood except strut bar and pod filters too, so no cop trouble. Why buy a stock one when there are plenty out there that have had buckets spent, not only on engine but the entire car, they are getting older now. I'm sure if you get a good mechanic to inspect whatever car your keen in, any dodgy modifications/oil leaks, previous accidents would show up.)

My mate bought a stock as a rock (down to standard exhaust) about a year ago for 19k in Perth in near mint condition.

Like I said, they are around, you just have to look harder.

When I buy cars, I look on gumtree, carsales, autotrader, quokka (WA based paper) SAU and various other forums just to get an idea price and condition wise of whats around.

EDIT:

I've found many good looking candidates in NSW... What planet have you been on lol.

http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/privat...id=12918C227C36 Late 1994, interior and exterior look mint. Good supporting mod list.

http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/privat...id=12918C227C36 Another late 1994, very nice mod list and forged engine. Not a fan on the steering wheel/tacho but it looks pretty good value.

http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/privat...id=12918C227C36 1993, Looks stock, good supporting mods, makes nice power, timing belt just done looks immac in/out.

http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/privat...id=12918C227C36 Another 1993 looking in real good nic. No engine mods other than an ECU, again good supporting mods and looks standard.

http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/dealer...id=12918C227C36 VSpec (Brembos and BBS wheels), looks totally mint + stock as a rock except pods and exhaust.

Edited by Ten Four

Thanks mate.

Do you miss your GTR? I see you replaced it with an M3?

Why did you sell it?

They are around. The bloke who bought mine said mine was the 14th he looked at and was in by far the best condition. He called wed morning, flew here thurs night and he flew back friday arvo when I dropped it off at the depot.

(Looked stock as a rock under the hood except strut bar and pod filters too, so no cop trouble. Why buy a stock one when there are plenty out there that have had buckets spent, not only on engine but the entire car, they are getting older now. I'm sure if you get a good mechanic to inspect whatever car your keen in, any dodgy modifications/oil leaks, previous accidents would show up.)

My mate bought a stock as a rock (down to standard exhaust) about a year ago for 19k in Perth in near mint condition.

Like I said, they are around, you just have to look harder.

When I buy cars, I look on gumtree, carsales, autotrader, quokka (WA based paper) SAU and various other forums just to get an idea price and condition wise of whats around.

I 110% regret selling that car. I miss it every single damn day :(

Sold it cause I had some debt in it from dad and he wouldnt budge... So it had to go =/

Also, I couldnt drive it to uni in rush hour. (Well I could, but I'd rather not play with a twin plate in rush hour, + leave it at uni where the worlds worst drivers come for a daily gathering and above all else, expose it to the aussie sun all day :P)

So I sold it, saved up some more money and bought an M3 which is nice to drive, decent power and really really comfy ;)

Edited by Ten Four

Thanks for posting those links Ten Four

I have seen most of those, but there's nothing to suggest any of them are better than the one I'm looking at. The V spec is more than I want to pay, a couple have too many mods, which I'm steering clear of from both an insurance point of view, and also because I don't know enough about it to know what's good or bad.

I'm under the impression that if the boost, or power have been upped in some way, the first two important things that should be replaced is the oil pump and ceramic turbos. Is this true?

I 110% regret selling that car. I miss it every single damn day ;)

Sold it cause I had some debt in it from dad and he wouldnt budge... So it had to go =/

Also, I couldnt drive it to uni in rush hour. (Well I could, but I'd rather not play with a twin plate in rush hour, + leave it at uni where the worlds worst drivers come for a daily gathering and above all else, expose it to the aussie sun all day :P )

So I sold it, saved up some more money and bought an M3 which is nice to drive, decent power and really really comfy ;)

Not necessarily but thats always good.

Oil pumps generally are stock unless the engine has been rebuilt. Also, try buy a 1993/94 model if you can unless its been rebuilt. On the earlier ones, during hard motorsport (corners) the crank collar manages to starve the engine of oil = bye engine. Most rebuilt ones will have a sump extension to prevent this happening but its nothing to worry about if you dont plan on tracking it.

Good to know, cheers.

Guys, I've been driving a stock, run of the mill Honda Civic for the last 4 years in an attempt to be practical and save a house deposit etc.

I'm looking at buying a GTR because I'm bored out of my arse, I'm limiting my budget so I can continue to save deposit etc.

I'm also a bit older now - 34 and my days of hooning around are behind me. I drive like a Grandpa now and have no intentions

of modifying the car, other than what needs to be done to keep it running reliably. I love the history of the R32, and even though they look

a bit dated now, they still have great road presence, and aggressive stance, and even in stock form can bring a big grin to your face when you

give it squirt - that for me is all I want from the car.

So, if these cars were built well enough to drive reliably under normal, unstressed driving conditions, in my mind, a clean, stock, well looked

after and serviced example should serve me well.

^^ The Crank collar being narrow, highly tuned GTR's will do that...

I believe Nissan fixed the problem in the later models.

If your car is stock / lightly modified, you should not have an issue with it.

Then I'm liking the first, second and third links I posted. All seems to be immaculate and well looked after with the mods being focused on suspension/intake and exhaust.

Oh and I had a stock R33 GTR for just under a year (well, apexi pods and exhaust, thats it). Going from that to the modded R32GTR was insane.. Especially considering they cost nearly the same.

M3 is just a big slug compared to the 32.

Also, the 32 I had was only totally rebuilt cause the engine was starved of oil through the oil crank collar (1989) and it was stock as a rock.

The 33 I had, after I sold it to some young guy who got the car for free off his multi-million dollar boss.... (chains, singlet baseball cap type) he managed to kill the engine within 2 weeks somehow. (I never found out how...)

Edited by Ten Four

lol at not wanting to modify. I'm utterly addicted to modding my GTRs and had no idea what I was in for when I got my first stocker. I didn't even really know about modding cars when I bought it......then small things lead to bigger things. Prepare for the addiction. Prepare.

Mine had stock turbos when I bought it, and ran upto 20psi for a year (very sure they were not stock..) the front one blew, so pulled them out and stuck some N1s in there, also know of an R32 that has done Targa Tas about 9-10 times now running ceramic turbos, and has not had 1 turbo failure. My suggestion would be if you like working on cars, and are happy to have it off the road a bit, (and spend some money) then push the limit a bit, try to do the work first though (be it Turbos, or even an R33 motor etc). If you are not wanting to do this sort of work, do not run over 10-12psi, and keep plenty of oil in it (1/2-3/4 litre over full) and you will have a reliable (if thirsty) and very fun road car. After 1 year my car still feels special every time I drive it, and I love it.