SAU Community

180sx Advice Needed.

BASHO

I'm de-vehicled at the moment having stupidly decided to sell my R34GT-t a couple of months ago and buy a slimescheiser BMW which I've given the flick .

I'm thinking of buying an R33 or 180SX (lower running cost) I know a bit about R33s but I know stuff all about 180SXs, could anybody tell me what the best models to look for are and if there are any to steer clear of ? -or anthing else that may be helpfull ?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Just as a note:

I've also considered a WRX because I've previously owned two of them but doubt thats going to happen until rex owners stop lying about what great condition the vehicle they're selling is in (crap) and realise the fact that they got robbed when they bought them in the first place dosen't mean they can then rob me when they come to sell.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

ok, i've owned a 180sx and a 33. they are different beasts. if going a 180sx then just get one with a sr20. the ca18's aren't a bad motor but they are generally getting a bit long in the tooth now and don't quite pack the punch of the 20. don't specifically go with a later model black top as the black top engines in the 180sx is just a red top with a black rocker cover. they didn't get a t28 turbo or anything like the s14 did. just find a tidy example in your price range and buy it. just stick a BB t28 on it and it will be a bit happier lower in the revs. with the stock bush bearing t25 they are a little bit laggy lower in the revs while the r33 will have plenty of go from much lower in the revs and will drive much more like your 34 did. the 180's are a bit rougher ride than the 33 is, and they have less down low. both are good for everyday use, but if the roads are crappy in your area then i'd go the 33.

of course if you happen to get a 180sx with a 25 in it then you will have a lot of fun. i'm not sure if my mates missus is still trying to sell her 180sx with a 25 in it. i'll have to ask her.

ok, i've owned a 180sx and a 33. they are different beasts. if going a 180sx then just get one with a sr20. the ca18's aren't a bad motor but they are generally getting a bit long in the tooth now and don't quite pack the punch of the 20. don't specifically go with a later model black top as the black top engines in the 180sx is just a red top with a black rocker cover. they didn't get a t28 turbo or anything like the s14 did. just find a tidy example in your price range and buy it. just stick a BB t28 on it and it will be a bit happier lower in the revs. with the stock bush bearing t25 they are a little bit laggy lower in the revs while the r33 will have plenty of go from much lower in the revs and will drive much more like your 34 did. the 180's are a bit rougher ride than the 33 is, and they have less down low. both are good for everyday use, but if the roads are crappy in your area then i'd go the 33.

of course if you happen to get a 180sx with a 25 in it then you will have a lot of fun. i'm not sure if my mates missus is still trying to sell her 180sx with a 25 in it. i'll have to ask her.

Thanks mate very helpfull , main reason for the at downsizing is simply overall running cost but I don't want to do what I have done before which is downsize and be pissed of within 3 months (or sooner) and have to upsize again to scratch the itch.

About the 180 with the 25-- If it's no trouble --please ask :ermm: I'd sure be interested in knowing more.

Bye the bye-is an S15 a 180SX ?

I'm not familiar with any of this range of cars and am quite confused.

Edited by BASHO

If your definetely set on a 180SX get a Type X. Will be better overall condition, much nicer looking and will have better resale value.

Thanks for that, I'm puzzled about prices there seem to be two quite radicaly different price ranges in the same year for some years of the 180SX (Redbook) and I'm stuffed if I can see why , I'm sure that it's a model in the year thing thing I just can't differentiate them.

I'm presuming it's like the Skyline GT/ GT-t/ GTR , thingo , got any pointers on models you could give me before I go and throw 5 grand to much at some smarty :ermm:

The 180sx is only that model, where as the 200sx is both the s14 and s15's. Ill be looking for s15's soon so all this information on what to look for with the SR20s will be usefull to me too :ermm:

Thanks mate very helpfull , main reason for the at downsizing is simply overall running cost but I don't want to do what I have done before which is downsize and be pissed of within 3 months (or sooner) and have to upsize again to scratch the itch.

About the 180 with the 25-- If it's no trouble --please ask :ermm: I'd sure be interested in knowing more.

all 180sx are s13's, even the very late model ones. that is why the engine is the same, despite having the black rocker cover. however plenty have had the 'real' black top motor transplanted into them.

the difference in some of the prices on redbook will be down to 1 of 3 reasons. 1: early 180sx (pre 1991 i think) were CA18 powered and had an ugly front bar (often refered to as pig nose). 2: after that they went to the sr20 and a nicer front bar. more people want the sr20 and they are newer and generally tidier examples, but not always (like any car). 3: from about 95 or so onwards (can't remember exactly and too lazy to look it up) they went to the type x models which were basically just like a series 3 version. they changed the tail lights, the dash cluster (colour of needles) and put a black rocker cover on them. they are a bit more rare and also trick a lot of people into thinking that they have the same black top motor as the s14, so they go for a higher price.

also i should point out that if you are worried about general day to day running costs, fuel economy wise the sr20 isn't much better than a rb25, especially if you like to give it the beans on a regular basis.

just stick a BB t28 on it and it will be a bit happier lower in the revs.

That a bolt on job or would it need a new computer or injectors etc?

Consdering a 180sx as my next car, as they're a bit cheaper than a skyline. and i don't really have the cash right now, but could have some more in a year or two, but not be ready to get a completely new car. Cheap upgrades could be good, but if its more expensive i'd just by a skyline later.

Edited by sneakey pete

ive had 2 s13's and an s15. If you afford an s15, go with one, much newer car and better all round. With s13's, try not to get one with a sunroof, if you do, check for paint bubbling around the edges, as this can be a major problem. Also, before you buy one, get a mechanic to do a thorough checkover of the car, as they are getting a little long in the tooth. Overall, i loved both my s13's (sr20de, ca18det that went to a sr20det). Both engines are great. But definately, my S15 was leaps above those 2.

the running costs of a 180sx are comparable to a skyline to be honest..

you said "before i throw 5K at some smartie"

is your budget only 5K??? if so...

increase your budget, man... like, i personally won't provide ANY advice for someone with only 5K to spend because you're GOING to buy a lemon for that price hate it or love it..

5K will not get you much.. and if you're looking for a nice car - all the best in your travels?

what do you need to know?

marc's already told you that the 180sx is CA/ Sr20DET powered.. you now know there's three generations.. ermmm

generally nothing goes wrong with them, the doors are frameless, the windows can be a pain to match up, the hydraulic boot lifts can fail on you...

...other than that, they're a very simple car with little on them that can go wrong..

for instance... an early model V8 toyota Soarer:

elec seats can fail

EMV can shut whole car down

heated seats can break

TEMS can fail

airbag suspension can blow from old age

touch screen can fail

door skins can rip off from sheer weight of safety equipment that's inside them

blinking digital dash

bleeding LCD Climate control screens

^^^that's the features of the soarer which are "common problems"

the 180sx is a much simpler car, following things can go wrong with it:

The digital clock in the dash can need resetting if you disconnect the battery.

that's about the extent of the "comfort" features of the 180.

from memory i don't think they even have cup holders?

on a serioous note though - the pop up headlight motors CAN fail you as they're VERY old cars now...

also, watch out for cars that have been left out in the open.. it's a telltale sign that the dash is cracked.

(haaaa rowan IS funny, see?)

serioulsy - 180's cos SFA.

(that stands for sweet fruit all)

if the dash is cracked - buy a new one.

if a seat rips - replace it.

the 180sx is soooooooooooooooooo simple of a car... it comes from a time where cars DIDNT HAVE.. cruisecontrol.. cvvt.. elec seats, GPS, EMS, ABS, SRS, VVT, SMS, BBQ etc etc

^^^that's terrible english, i mean the 180sx is a very simplistic car..

it literally is turn key and go. there's an accelerator, a brake, a clutch and a gearbox with only 5 gears. all those features come standard with the 180sx... and they even have steering wheels too... to make sure you complete your journey safely :ermm:

there's no "common issues" with them because they are about as technically advanced as a Gemini.

they just happen to have cult status which keeps their value high.. =)

the running costs of a 180sx are comparable to a skyline to be honest..

you said "before i throw 5K at some smartie"

[b]is your budget only 5K??? if so...[/b]

increase your budget, man... like, i personally won't provide ANY advice for someone with only 5K to spend because you're GOING to buy a lemon for that price hate it or love it..

5K will not get you much.. and if you're looking for a nice car - all the best in your travels?

what do you need to know?

marc's already told you that the 180sx is CA/ Sr20DET powered.. you now know there's three generations.. ermmm

generally nothing goes wrong with them, the doors are frameless, the windows can be a pain to match up, the hydraulic boot lifts can fail on you...

...other than that, they're a very simple car with little on them that can go wrong..

for instance... an early model V8 toyota Soarer:

elec seats can fail

EMV can shut whole car down

heated seats can break

TEMS can fail

airbag suspension can blow from old age

touch screen can fail

door skins can rip off from sheer weight of safety equipment that's inside them

blinking digital dash

bleeding LCD Climate control screens

^^^that's the features of the soarer which are "common problems"

the 180sx is a much simpler car, following things can go wrong with it:

The digital clock in the dash can need resetting if you disconnect the battery.

that's about the extent of the "comfort" features of the 180.

from memory i don't think they even have cup holders?

on a serioous note though - the pop up headlight motors CAN fail you as they're VERY old cars now...

With a sight more respect to you than you're showing me here I have no frakin idea why you think my budget is $5k , its up to $13K folding and I have a platinum $10k credit line to draw on if I need more , I have already written that I am just not familiar with these cars attall and am relying on Rebook to give me some idea of what I should be paying which I might add seems largely to be more than people are asking for these cars, hence my puzzlement as the general private ask is usualy more than the Redbook listing price , and the members of SAU to give me a heads up generaly as many people who have Skylines have also a good knowledge of other Nissan Marques.

Thank you though for the info you have posted , it all helps.

Thanks for that, I'm puzzled about prices there seem to be two quite radicaly different price ranges in the same year for some years of the 180SX (Redbook) and I'm stuffed if I can see why , I'm sure that it's a model in the year thing thing I just can't differentiate them.

I'm presuming it's like the Skyline GT/ GT-t/ GTR , thingo , got any pointers on models you could give me before I go and throw 5 grand to much at some smarty :ermm:

RANT

learn2read bro

WAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHA

okay okay - SORRY basho!!!! i read "5K to much at some smartie"

you used the wrong "too" and i thought "much" was some sort of street verb

wow

i read that sooooo wrong hahaha

i read it liek "before i pay 5K to MUCH at some smartie"

i get you now - sorry! you wrote wrong... i read... REALLY wrong haha

13K will get you a good one... personally i suggest with THAT sort of coin i would be looking into S14 or S15... just cos it's newer and has more comfort features...

i still stand by on eveyrthing i said about the 180 though.. they're a very simple simple car with nothing that goes wrong on them - because... there's not much ON them to begin with...

but - i would greatly appreciate it if you would help ME... by asking questions that you want to know about them... because i don't know to what extent you do / dont know :ermm:

help us help you :P and sorry for the misunderstanding haha

actually - part 2...

with that much money why are you chasing a 180?

like -what do you WANT it for?

if you're looking to track it or something then fine go for it... but if it's a daily driver...

then... go S14? or S15? or even series 3 soarer?

i'm just putting it out there.. this fits your budget.. it's a better built car and it's an absolute steal... HOW nobody has bought this i don't know.

click click here here

$12,900 for a full service history'd

low km @ 140,000

series 3 VVTI MANUAL soarer (I SAID MANUAL... IN A SINGLE TURBO 1JZ)

WITH A LONG ARSE LIST of genuine TRD parts

WITH FREAKING LEATHER.... LEATHER man!!!

the series 3 soarer are amazing cars... this guy initially wanted 19K for this but is despo to sell..

why pay 13K for a 180 when you can have THAT???

WAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHA

okay okay - SORRY basho!!!! i read "5K to much at some smartie"

you used the wrong "too" and i thought "much" was some sort of street verb

wow

i read that sooooo wrong hahaha

i read it liek "before i pay 5K to MUCH at some smartie"

i get you now - sorry! you wrote wrong... i read... REALLY wrong haha

13K will get you a good one... personally i suggest with THAT sort of coin i would be looking into S14 or S15... just cos it's newer and has more comfort features...

i still stand by on eveyrthing i said about the 180 though.. they're a very simple simple car with nothing that goes wrong on them - because... there's not much ON them to begin with...

but - i would greatly appreciate it if you would help ME... by asking questions that you want to know about them... because i don't know to what extent you do / dont know :)help us help you :ermm: and sorry for the misunderstanding haha

Hey mate no worries I'm just a grumpy ole fart .

It's all good that they are basic I'm a bit over complex at the moment and a seat of the pantsa will be good.

Timing belt renewal 100000km's 4years ?-or is it a chain ?--no one advertising the 180s FS mentions timing belts-----atall.

A lot of the 180s I've seen advertised have front mounts and pods but don't seem to have any engine management mods listed I'm a bit sus that those mods done on there own add an iota of benefit to the vehicles--any comment ??

I'm basicly thinking of the benefits of a smaller sized car as well when I'm thinking of the 180sx .

Edited by BASHO

That a bolt on job or would it need a new computer or injectors etc?

Consdering a 180sx as my next car, as they're a bit cheaper than a skyline. and i don't really have the cash right now, but could have some more in a year or two, but not be ready to get a completely new car. Cheap upgrades could be good, but if its more expensive i'd just by a skyline later.

t28bb is a bolt on job. unlike the girly ecu in the skylines which has a cry at about 12psi on the stock turbo, the s13 ecu will take 15psi from the bigger turbo without missing a beat. i know plenty of people doing it. infact my mates missus had one on her 180 before they put the rb25 in it.

Hey mate no worries I'm just a grumpy ole fart .

It's all good that they are basic I'm a bit over complex at the moment and a seat of the pantsa will be good.

Timing belt renewal 100000km's 4years ?-or is it a chain ?--no one advertising the 180s FS mentions timing belts-----atall.

A lot of the 180s I've seen advertised have front mounts and pods but don't seem to have any engine management mods listed I'm a bit sus that those mods done on there own add an iota of benefit to the vehicles--any comment ??

I'm basicly thinking of the benefits of a smaller sized car as well when I'm thinking of the 180sx .

sr20 are timing chain motors, so no need for the big 100,000kms change like in the skylines.

as for lack of ecu upgrades, as i said above, the stock ecu on them will handle much higher boost levels than the skyline ecu. a mate of mine had his wastegate actuator stop working on the sr20 in his sigma at powercruise a few years back. he did the most of the weekend with unlimited boost and the ecu never cutout once. of course the turbo was blowing a bit of smoke by the end of the weekend, but you get that running 30psi or so through a stock turbo.