SAU Community

N/a Nissan Skyline R32

I'm buying my first car and I have been reading up on Skylines and am interested in learning more about them. Although, I'm just wondering for my price range, are N/A R32s worth buying? I will most likely save up an extra $3k-$4k in the coming months (and I need a car before February of next year) but yeh, how much do the N/A R32s go for and are they easily maintainable; would I have to fork out a leg or two just to keep it running and all that jazz?

Cheers.

erm... if ur happy with a car with less balls than a Toyota Camry then ye go buy one u can pick em up for like... 4 grand..... or atleast get a rb25de ....

Yeah mate the thing with 32's and especially 32 na's is that you need to get one with an rb25 as like has been said the rb20s are zzzzzzzzzzzz also 32s are a bitch to find in good condition as they are getting on now and depending on your budget i would look at 33's or even a 34 the only 32 worth buying these days is a GTR.

so whats the budget

if you must have a rwd then get a natro s13. similar power and a lighter car. if you don't care so much about rwd then look at something like a SSS pulsar. natro sr20, lighter than both the s13 and r32, and good fun to drive and much less attention from the boys in blue. the missus has one, i owned it before her and we've had it for about 7 years now. never missed a beat, nice to drive, less dated looking interior (if you go an n15 version) and much easier to find a clean example of that hasn't been raped. they are great unless you are a drifter wannabe and want the rwd so you can go do hectik skids. only other downside is that you get a heap of morons telling you how shit fwd's are despite them never having driven one. simple fact is that if you can't drive a fwd car fast then your driving talent is dramatically lower than you think it is.

No one has really answered your questions here, so i'll have a shot. EDIT: except for mad082 as I was writing this!

It is definitely a good idea to do a tonne of research before you buy one of these cars. The more info about the car's life in jap land/previous Australian owners is better.

When you say N/A R32, you may or may not be aware that the majority of them came in a 2L form. The 2L (RB20) motor is said to be very rev happy by alot of people on here, however it is very lacking in down low torque, meaning that you don't get that nice pull back in your seat, its just very bland.

Most people in your situation would try to put the N/A 2.5L motor into the r32, the RB25, or try to get one with it already in the car. Thing is, there may be a need for an engineers certificate in order to do that properly, so there is more costs associated with that too.

N/A Skyline motors arent that different from your common motor, maintenance is very low, eg oil every 10,000kms,sparks every 15-20,000km? not alot of things break because there isn't that much power and generally they are a very good jump in and go car, so you shouldn't be spending too much.

Unfortunetly if $4,000 is your max price range then the only skylines you have available to you are ones that have been abused, there is no other way to put it. Lower price bracket, lower quality cars. These WILL be the skylines that cost you an arm and a leg to maintain because they have lots of things wrong with them.

I suggest you look for a different type of car if you want something easy and in your price range, otherwise try to save up to around 8,000 and your skyline options will widen alot for N/A models.

Just so you know, a common Magna will easily be faster then an N/A 2L Skyline and in your price range. Something to think about.

Adam

No one has really answered your questions here, so i'll have a shot. EDIT: except for mad082 as I was writing this!

It is definitely a good idea to do a tonne of research before you buy one of these cars. The more info about the car's life in jap land/previous Australian owners is better.

When you say N/A R32, you may or may not be aware that the majority of them came in a 2L form. The 2L (RB20) motor is said to be very rev happy by alot of people on here, however it is very lacking in down low torque, meaning that you don't get that nice pull back in your seat, its just very bland.

Most people in your situation would try to put the N/A 2.5L motor into the r32, the RB25, or try to get one with it already in the car. Thing is, there may be a need for an engineers certificate in order to do that properly, so there is more costs associated with that too.

N/A Skyline motors arent that different from your common motor, maintenance is very low, eg oil every 10,000kms,sparks every 15-20,000km? not alot of things break because there isn't that much power and generally they are a very good jump in and go car, so you shouldn't be spending too much.

Unfortunetly if $4,000 is your max price range then the only skylines you have available to you are ones that have been abused, there is no other way to put it. Lower price bracket, lower quality cars. These WILL be the skylines that cost you an arm and a leg to maintain because they have lots of things wrong with them.

I suggest you look for a different type of car if you want something easy and in your price range, otherwise try to save up to around 8,000 and your skyline options will widen alot for N/A models.

Just so you know, a common Magna will easily be faster then an N/A 2L Skyline and in your price range. Something to think about.

Adam

very informative post, cheers but yeh i have $10k at the moment and within a few months i'll have saved another $3k-$4k so i was thinking about buying a 2001 model n/a skyline r34 25gt.

i had a look around private sales, but the thing is all of the 25GTs are modified in some sense (same applies for the R33s) so i was thinking of having one imported with low genuine km and no mods whatsoever (preferably a coupe with grade 4 or above)

thing is i'd also rather have an N/A R34 25GT, because it's more recent and generates more HP than some of the other N/As. only thing stopping me from importing a clean r34 25gt is my current price range. (most of the ones at import dealers around sydney sell them for around $18k-$20k too)

and yeh, i'm not a wannabe drifter lol, i don't like burning out the tyres then forking money to replace them. (directed to one of the other posts)

Hey alex okay if you want to get a 34 and dont want to pay for an imported one from a dealer then import one yourself I did it last year and i would recommended it to anyone that has a little patience. i will PM u with more info

i had a look around private sales, but the thing is all of the 25GTs are modified in some sense (same applies for the R33s) so i was thinking of having one imported with low genuine km and no mods whatsoever (preferably a coupe with grade 4 or above)

thing is i'd also rather have an N/A R34 25GT, because it's more recent and generates more HP than some of the other N/As. only thing stopping me from importing a clean r34 25gt is my current price range. (most of the ones at import dealers around sydney sell them for around $18k-$20k too)

good news if you will have around the 14k mark, your choices are broadened alot.

Let me just say that I bought my car, an R33 (before I turboed it) dead stock apart from a 2,000 momocourse exhaust for 12,000 on the road with 84,000 on the clock, grade 4.x something. So they are out there.

It would be sensible to try to get a 34, I dont know for 14 though in great condition, and unfortunetly I cannot tell you any places to look at because I am from Melb. Thing is, I did get mine from an importers and he was reasonable. perhaps put something up in the nsw thread about where to get good imported cars from? ppl have done that in the vic section and they normally get a fair few results.

gl with it