SAU Community

help setting up my car audio.

Nims

Hi fella.

I currently have a headunit running 2 front speakers and 2 rear 6x9". I have a 400watt boss amp running my 10" sub. Now my 6x9" speakers sound shithouse....distort to early......what should i do? Im a n00b.

*new 6x9's?

*run another amp for rear speakers? If i run another amp how i do it...i aleady running an amp for sub

cheers!

yeah, i'd be inclined to ditch the 6x9s like nugget said. 6x9s are only useful for bass when u dont have a sub, but when ur looking for a bit more clarity its time for them to go. Plus if ur running them off ur head unit, they're probably underpowered which doesn't help.

• 4 weeks later...

yeah chuck the 6x9's out or sell them. 6" splits in the front and 6" coax in the rear, shit all over 6x9's. they distort cos the sound comes out the same spot for low mid and high range, cos you have each speaker behind itself. whereas with split you have a good 6" cone for main low and medium and for high you have a seperaste tweeter. mount the little tweeter set on the backplate of your mirrors, put sound backing/deadning on your 6" cones and it will sound schmick, very good indeeed. you need the sound to come from the front

most people focus on bringing the sound from the back, should be from the front

try and amp all around if you can, amp some and not others is pox and nasty. i agree it is cheaper but if you good sound spend the dollars, mkuch like a car, you want a good car, spend the $ and get good, not 80% good, 100% good

get a fairly stock 4 channel amp and amp your front splits and rears, will sound good

either amp them all or none, amping just subs sounds random and out of whack

worst case yif you are on a tighjt tight budget get front splits, amp them and normal rears. keep the subs or sub amped and amp the front splits. will sound, but better with rears amped too, and not 6x9's amped, 6" coax amped

my system in my 33 =

alpine cdx9807 cd/mp3 head unit 50wx4

alpine 6" pro splits in the front with the tweeter mounted on the mirror mounts

alpine 6" coax in the rear parcel shelf

alpine 2 x 12" subs in the boot, standard box

alpine monobloc amp for the subs, no idea on what wattage, can give model number

alpine 4 channel amp for the front splits and rear coax's

alpine rca to random AINET adapter so i can get sound from my dvd player

total cost including install was 1800 , head unit is aorund 500 ish, subs are fairly expensive, same with splits and coax's, all fairly decent stuff, not the best i agree, but **** it cranks

and also you can crank and stereo but it needs to sound good and clear

i can crank the head unit to like 24 on an original cd audio (not mp3) and it ****ing sounds awesome. mp3 obviousloy not as good, they lack quality.

if youre in melb, can give a demo

no offence, shop around, i wouldnt goto strathfield. yeah their sales droids will say oh we can sell u this setup for 200 cash less, blah blah. less cash price existed in 1980, not anymore

speak to some audio buff's, find out what u want, get a non biased opinion. ask fhrx. get work out a budget and say i want this from this

dont goto them with a problem, goto them with a requirement, let them work out how to make it happen and give you the solution