SAU Community

Stainless Intake Pipe

Ok so ive had the pipe made up and it fits and the car runs when using the throttle but when letting off the aac valve musn't be getting enough air and the car dies(still needs to be polished but will look heaps good).

Now the problem is that on the stock intake pipe it has the big box attatched for volume(im guessing the aac valve needs the big reservior of air when letting off the accelerator).

So as soon as you let of the throttle the car dies, i tried putting an oil breather on the AAC intake pipe but it still dies so im thinking it needs a woosh of air.

Does anyone have any suggestions to overcome the problem of the aac valve not getting enough air; maybe by running a pipe from the aac valve straight to the bottom of the air box, making a separate air tank with an oil breather on it or making a tank and attatching it to the new intake pipe so it would be the same as the original, maybe even just plumb the aac valve pipe straight onto the new intake pipe and it might have enough volume when the throttle is closed.

Please any suggestions are welcome except for all the haters saying that it is just a stupid thing to change!

post-66746-1285898024_thumb.jpg

post-66746-1285898096_thumb.jpg

post-66746-1285898164_thumb.jpg

post-66746-1285898208_thumb.jpg

post-66746-1285898293_thumb.jpg

Have u reset the ECU to relearn the minor mod?

I once had a full custom intake to a pod, sounded mad on WOT, but it wasnt very good on the fuel and my r34 is still a daily car so i took it off... But yeah, when i did the mod, it was running horrible, so i searched and read somewhere around here to reset the ecu and it would go fine... And it did...

The way I reset it was by unplugging one of the battery terminals, press and hold the brake for a couple seconds then reconnect the terminal...

Hope it helps

you need that pipe connected to your intake, a reset wont fix anything because the air isnt measured by the afm.

and that box is just a sound deadner so you dont hear the intake noise, it isnt a turbo car so theres no air being pushed out when letting go of the throttle

does it die if you lift off slowly? if only when lifting off quickly then i'm guessing that not having the resonator box is causing a fluctation of air when you lift off, which is making the AFM think there is more air going through it than there actually is, and therefore it's adding in more fuel which is making the car stall. pretty much the same principle as when people put atmo bovs onto RB engines.

EDIT: i just looked at the pics, yeah you will need the AAC line hooked back into the plenum. without it the AAC is useless and the ECU has no way of controlling the idle.

Yeah the pipe should be connected, but im just suggesting also to do it since he modified the intake without a reset... just one of various possibilities...

About the airbox deading the noise i dunno, as said i ran full intake and pod, it sounded alot diferent and better when accelerting... not like a turbo obviously...

metal intakes give a different noise due to the different properties of the steel/alloy they are made out of, in a similar way that stainless steel exhausts can sound different to mild steel exhausts, due to thinning piping, etc.

Thanks for all the quick replies. While i waited i was polishing the pipe so it looks better now

Yeh well that saved me from putting a hole in my airbox, forgot bout it needing AFM signal.

My brother was originally gonna put a small pipe coming out for the AAC but forgot and i thought i might try something else but ill get him to put one on next week.

My main concern was that big box and wasnt sure if it would work by just connecting the AAC valve pipe to the intake pipe but if you guys reckon its just to quieten it then thats fine.

Where do most people connect it to on turbo ones cause i havent seen? Im guessing just off the intake pipe too?

Thanx for all your help, really appreciate it!!

• 2 weeks later...

Ive gotten my brother to add the extra pipe and hey presto all is well. I still dont understand what that extra box was for cause it sounds the same. I didn'd have any decent pipe around and had to borrow a piece of my dad's thicker garden hose. At least its got material braiding through it lol!!

• 1 month later...

I've got the same thing but i got mine done professionally and had a small tube welded on for the hoses to slip onto and clamp on.

When you have a full aftermarket exhaust this mod seems to make the car louder and with mine if you use half throttle and slowly squeeze the accelerator it sounds like a mini waste gate hahaha

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry i havent been back on for ages, i havent found any gains but the car's stock as a rock and it hasnt been running 100% for ages but now she's all good. Probs would sound better with a nice exhaust done.

Edited by Duchie

• 7 months later...

Just thought id update if anyone wants to know. First of all my timing issues have become better. Ive done a bit of reading and people have said that you lose mid range power when installing a new intake pipe that does not include that resonator box, so on the weekend i reverted to the original crossover pipe and the acceleration feels smoother and there's a bit more bottom end power. I bought a 3 inch catback a couple months ago and after putting the stock intake pipe back on i think the exhaust is also slightly quieter (which is nice cause this thing is epically loud).