SAU Community

Good Places To Buy Cheap Rims?

Hi all, Just trying to think of good places to shop for rims and was wondering if anyone knew of decent places to shop. I know of the usual places like nengun, Tempetyres and tech4tyres. Any else? Looking for Volks or similar for my R33. Cheers!

Ok for starters I assume ur looking for either volk gtc it te37 both are not cheap if ur buying brand new and I really wouldn't bother with Tempe tyres unless ur 'fully hectic' try places like Jdm concept they are the dealer for work wheels in aus and are quiet nicely priced also if u don't mind buying second hand try searching google for seconds which can sometimes turn up some awesome results at a fraction of the price

Cheers Thommo, not really my thing - looking for bronze coloured rims.

No worries mate, not really mine either hence the sale! You did say ya were after cheap tho

I've used and would recommend JDM concept before for a set of Works, but would also def get a price from Jesse Streeter once you know what type of wheel you're after.

For cheaper than 2k it wont be easy to find something really nice, but there are some decent deals to be had second hand if ya keep your eye out

JDM seems pretty good and have the rims I am keen to get - Works XD9 in bronze - now just to work out offset and size. Rims only are about $2K which is reasonable - I am guessing rubber will cost about another $1K.

I'm looking at a set of 18s for my R33 Gtst (S2) but I don't want to have to roll guards or anything, so I am guessing 18x10 front and rear would be too wide. There is a set that is 18x8 (205s i guess) offset +35 front, 18x9 (225s i guess) offset +30 rear. You can get the same size wheels (width etc) in +28/+38 offset too.

From what I've read, the recommended offset for a Gts R33 is around +33 or something so I am guessing this would be sweet. Any recommendations or am I just talking shit? I am not sure if it is worth going wider (car is stock so traction not really an issue).

Opinions?

I'll check out the other sites too, see what the other places cost/recommend etc.

Cheers for the input guys.

if you want bronze XD9's then streeter will be the cheapest... i'm not gonna say what he quoted me last week but it was definately a fair whack cheaper than JDM concept... i'm gonna go with JDM concept simply because they can get them in black and streeter cant, as work only do black for the overseas market.

i'm looking at 17x9.5+17 f and 18x10+18 r

if you want to be a little more subtle then 18x9+20's should fit all round with just a lip

if you want bronze XD9's then streeter will be the cheapest... i'm not gonna say what he quoted me last week but it was definately a fair whack cheaper than JDM concept... i'm gonna go with JDM concept simply because they can get them in black and streeter cant, as work only do black for the overseas market.

i'm looking at 17x9.5+17 f and 18x10+18 r

if you want to be a little more subtle then 18x9+20's should fit all round with just a lip

Joey do you mean that if I want to be subtle, 18x9s with +20 offsets would fit well?

And is Streeter a member or a shop?

Ok guys just so you know I ended up buying 2nd hand R34 GTR rims from J Imports. They came with 245/40s all round - Bridgestone Potenza RE01Rs front and RE01s on rear with 70% tread. $2000. Not bad I thought.

24 hours after I fitted them I got a flat. Turns out that either J imports or whoever sold them to J imports knew of a hole in thew bead seal and tried to patch it up with bead sealant. Very pissed off that tyre has a $450 replacement cost!

So now I am stuck with the predicament of whether to replace with another 245/40 on the front (my car is COMPLETELY stock so I think it may be too wide) in which case I'd get another RE01R so it is 2 of the same tyre on the front, or get 2 x 235/40 for the front and keep the good RE01R as a spare.

The car looks higher than I predicted with these rims on it so I'd like to lower in the future, and I was told at WA suspensions that all 4 guards will rub with that width (245). But I am guessing seeing as others have these rims on this car (R33 S2 Gtst) that its just a matter of rolling rear guards and negative camber on the rear, and dropping width to 235 on the front - cos I'm not sure if you can roll front guards on my car.

Yeah so I'm pissed off and stumbling around the WA for sale section on here and ebay for tyres and may check out tyre rack. I only rack up low kms on the car (I work FIFO) so 2nd hand wouldn't be a drama if in good condition.

Any comments or ideas on width or tyre choice?

Easy man... 235/40/18 will be a cheaper option and you can get 2x federal 595ss for around 300 in that size which is more than enough for a stock power level

rolling of guards is easy both front and rear and as you will only need the lips done then it will cost 200 max

Thuy just buys the rims from jland and doesn't know have the info about that kinda stuff so I wouldn't be too worried about him ripping you off. With second hand rims the tyres are a bonus at best and even if they have x% of tread they could still be old and f**ked out.

When I have bought second hand rims of Thuy I let him keep the tyres an just go and get my own.

In summary, put 235/40's on the fronts and drive it. When you lower it, remove the guard liners and roll the lips then.

Nice reply, cheers! Yeah I spoke to Thuy today and he was cool about it all - threw me $100 bucks back so I was pretty happy with that. Its just a sh*toff getting a flat on the freeway less than 24h after fitting the tyre. I can get Federal 595 SS for 110ea off ebay or RSRs for 250 each. May go the RSRs - got a few cheap upgrades coming soon which may boost the power up.

Cheers for the help.