SAU Community

R32 Gts 4 Coupe Upgrade

My project is about upgrading an R32 GTS 4 coupe, cheap purchase off e-bay. The goals are to take advantage of the automatic box (converter and shift kit, matched to turbo) and ATESSA all wheel drive. After reading blind elk's posts, I bought a Stagea bottom end, and RB 25det top from the kind traders of this forum. The goal is plenty of power, but with traction and easy drive ability.

I'm having a heap of fun on the forum reading "forced induction performance" for my engine build "hopes dreams and aspirations", and seeing Chris Rogers start a similar but different project. My current stage is the big spending, motor and turbo is about to begin.

Subscribed.

(25/30 in mine btw.)

I looked at the 25/30, why up grade the rb20 by halves. Staying RB25 as the upgrade, much stolen and learned from blind elks posts.

The adaptor problem, and not being able to close the bonnet, seemed enough for me.

What's happening with mine.

Big dollars by my standards buying the forged pistons, rods, engine kit, over the next weeks. Like a lot of people, I was stunned by the cost of a quality oil pump. The Stagea block is stripped and being machined. The head is off for a service.

Not wanting a half baked manifold leads me into contact with Kyle from 6 Boost, and some pretty interesting build options/helpful suggestions from Kyle.

• 2 weeks later...

The interesting suggestion from Kyle at 6 boost which is at the heart of this build, is the manifold/turbo choice. It's an attempt at the eternal power/response equation. The way it's going that is well underway is, split pulse manifold, twin waste-gates, twin scroll turbo in GT35 size. Speaking to Kyle today, the manifold is built, and the turbo is on the way from the USA. The hope is that the twin scroll will give 500rpm of earlier spool, as will the vct, if all else fails I'll make up for loss of spool using the converter.

Edited by WHITE gtt

I see what you are doing. once suggestion I would make with that auto though is a SERIOUS trans cooler for it. if that box is anything like a subaru box (both are jatco) then a rebuild on it is over $4k.

I see what you are doing. once suggestion I would make with that auto though is a SERIOUS trans cooler for it. if that box is anything like a subaru box (both are jatco) then a rebuild on it is over $4k.

I guess we are both pioneers at putting money into GTS4s (LOL). I see the JATCO automatic as part of my KISS principle, (have read many problems for big hp for clutches and manual gear boxes), yes it will need a full over haul, upgrade and quality trans cooler, as you suggest, especially if the GT35 twin scroll set up delivers. What turbo are you planing for your 25/30?

I like where this is going, I have done a 25/30 awd into a stagea using a pro engines plate.. wasnt a fan, also had a 35r, 6boost and turbosmart 50mm gate, also not a fan.

Id suggest souring turbo/gate yourself. as turbo actually came from another supplier..

As for manifold, sure 6boost is good but googe extreme turbo manifolds. also in nsw his manifolds are second to none.

I'm not in the motor trade, so the whole right manifold and turbo thing is hard. A lot of cars and posts about 6 Boost, so I went with Kyles ideas, and have found him very pleasant to deal with. The twin scroll idea was from Kyle having been doing some recent installs.

Currently, instead of the big k dollars, I've had the project fun of chasing down smaller parts. I've bought a GTR bonnet off this forum, that is in quite pristine condition for the "open grille" look. Other bits being sourced etc. CV Joints, petrol flap etc etc.

Edited by WHITE gtt

• 2 weeks later...

Recent retail therapy hurts to look at think about prices

6 Boost manifold

GT35 Twin scroll 0.82 Turbo

R33 GTR crank

Manley H Beam rods

HKS cams

Bride seats

Latest activity boring Stagea Block to 86.5mm

Sending sump away for Baffles and enlarging. (Thanks to Blind Elk from this forum, for letting me know this sump fits!)

Sending RB 25DET head away for porting

Edited by WHITE gtt

• 2 weeks later...

I'm waiting for my CP pistons to arrive, so a final close tolerance hone can be done to the 86.5mm re-bore. Waiting for the sump, fabricated with baffles and enlarged to be back. The other issue is the diff ratios, naturally front and rear all wheel drive have to match, but I may sell my short 4.35 gts4 diff ratios, and stay with Stagea diff ratios (4.08). I've had very nice rear flares from "viva garage" arrive. One of the reasons for this is, my car had a significant drivers side quarter panel dent from "paddock bashing". The plan now is to roll the front guards and flare the rear guards. My plan is not to gtr clone, but have some wide rear guards, to cover good rubber, but preserve the factory plastic type m bodykit. I'm trying to find a hks front grille, to go with the gtr bonnet. Still waiting on tons of ordered parts to arrive!

Edited by WHITE gtt

• 4 weeks later...

The "performance metalcraft "sump is lovely. Thanks Leon. Initial chemical clean and bore and hone was affordable, with friendly service from "Peak Rebores" Mortdale. My engine builder plans to test assemble and recheck clearances any way.

I'm waiting for my CP pistons to arrive, so a final close tolerance hone can be done to the 86.5mm re-bore. Waiting for the sump, fabricated with baffles and enlarged to be back. The other issue is the diff ratios, naturally front and rear all wheel drive have to match, but I may sell my short 4.35 gts4 diff ratios, and stay with Stagea diff ratios (4.08). I've had very nice rear flares from "viva garage" arrive. One of the reasons for this is, my car had a significant drivers side quarter panel dent from "paddock bashing". The plan now is to roll the front guards and flare the rear guards. My plan is not to gtr clone, but have some wide rear guards, to cover good rubber, but preserve the factory plastic type m bodykit. I'm trying to find a hks front grille, to go with the gtr bonnet. Still waiting on tons of ordered parts to arrive!

I may have a 4.08 front diff spare myself. I'm keeping the 4.35 setup.

so far so good on yours.

I'm waiting on all my internal clips to arrive - have a parts blowup if you need it. shows 90% of the engine/under clips.

I may have a 4.08 front diff spare myself. I'm keeping the 4.35 setup.

so far so good on yours.

I'm waiting on all my internal clips to arrive - have a parts blowup if you need it. shows 90% of the engine/under clips.

Thanks happy to chase the parts blow up. I'm OK with the 4.08 as long as some how I can find 4.08 rear diff gears.

The head now is no longer "just a service"but will be off for enlarged valves, super premium valve springs. Premium cam angle sensing, to match the hks cams. Formal flow testing. Another wallet emptier!

Thanks happy to chase the parts blow up. I'm OK with the 4.08 as long as some how I can find 4.08 rear diff gears.

may be able to help. I *THINK* the car that my engine came from they also kept the rear end. I'll check.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

More engine spending continues with Hypertune doing an RB25 plenum, throttle body and fuel rail. ACL race bearings selected. ATI balancer ordered. Head is still away.

Edited by WHITE gtt