SAU Community

R32 Gts4 - Restoration/rebuild

Why not try a retrofit with the r33 240km/H dash with lcd screen?

nah. then I lose my torque gauge and the cluster is a different shape so it is not a direct fit.. the HKS peice does tach any way so it will have a digital tach and info meter similar to the more modern R34 GTR.

I have a few electrical tweaks to go on it - this is one of them

also this screen will double as a navi screen when the HKS piece is not being displayed. again its a tweak that I am used to having in the other vehicles I own.

this is a R34 obviously but you get the idea:

DSC_1595r.jpg

DSC_1596r.jpg

did that in 2008 to a mspec nur.

just ordered and paid for NEW heated mirror glass and the associated switch that runs it.

2nd last image of the car you will see it has blue mirrors. the original red ones worked but were missing screws. found these and the associated harnesses to run them. checked that the harnesses are supported by the car - they are. mirror glass was missing.

part numbers for those playing at home.

9636505U00 - Mirror RH

9636605U00 - Mirror LH

25570-71L00 - Switch

mirrors and switch were $290.

I am going to try and get the side glass next. nissan japan seem to be paranoid about shipping it directly to me so I am going to get a mate of mine to pick it up for me.

also this screen will double as a navi screen when the HKS piece is not being displayed. again its a tweak that I am used to having in the other vehicles I own.

this is a R34 obviously but you get the idea:

404737_3067469128955_1330376598_33317445_585834174_n.jpg

395144_3067468608942_1330376598_33317444_941896420_n.jpg

did that in 2008 to a mspec nur.

(repost - fixed images.)

just bought this:

000.900_LCD4CHL_PI.jpg

that will fit nicely into the GTR cluster that I have ( the tach is coming out.)

this in conjunction with a garmin GVN53 and HKS CAMP2 should bring this car into the 21st century quite nicely

already spoke to a speedo cluster repairer as well about making me an overlay with a clear area for it so it all looks factory.

only oversight I had was the amount that a sheet of the material makes - 5 overlays. so once done I will have 4 of them up for grabs in the factory grey instrument color.

Is this just a LCD Monitor with a VGA plug?

I have headed ones in my R32* but have never ever needed to use them and being in WA dont think i ever will. Maybe if i come over east ill go to the snow just so i can use them..lol.

I like the nav screen trick. May i suggest (if you can) edit your first post to include the complete list of part number so people can find what they are after with out going through the complete thread.

* VW not a nissan before you get excited

Is this just a LCD Monitor with a VGA plug?

no. I could buy it as a VGA unit with a composite feed as well . could not be bothered as I have a custom interface already on paper for it any way.

this one is composite video only. I will use the unused radio buttons on the top left of the cluster to toggle between the units.

I have headed ones in my R32* but have never ever needed to use them and being in WA dont think i ever will. Maybe if i come over east ill go to the snow just so i can use them..lol.

I like the nav screen trick. May i suggest (if you can) edit your first post to include the complete list of part number so people can find what they are after with out going through the complete thread.

* VW not a nissan before you get excited

if I can get a admin on my side I will update the first page. there are a lot of part numbers in the 24 odd pages - that I do know.

I could not buy the normal mirrors.. I had picked up the blue mirrors to fix my red ones. I noted an extra two pin harness hanging off it. prior to this I had been in possession of 3 cars that were the same so I made notes of chassis numbers and with a bit of translation help found that this was a cold weather option. (the battery was the other - northern cars have a HUGE battery.)

I like the nav screen trick.

my van has the same idea except that it goes from navi to a camera. if I get bored I *MAY* do that as well to this car. need to get the overlay done and the HKS item here first.

I am going to use add on harness to add the 'missing' sensors that I I do not already have. I am not sure if front torque is on the data stream or not. never looked and I can't really look until I can power the car up and thats NOT for quite a while yet.

spent today talking to a instrument repairer in salisbury. explained what I was trying to do and he showed me a few examples of the work they do with dials . dropped the tach and indicator overlays off to them and said take your time.

I still need to take them the LCD panel for measurement so everything lines up correctly. I am also getting a new indicator panel done (top center panel with the green arrows and high beam icon.)

the indicator overlay is s 4 color piece and I'm told will be a bitch to make correctly. the aim with this one is to put a security word in black/red on there below the high beam indicator area. the cluster has a spot there for a extra light and that s what it is going to be. the light itself will be a LED out of a toyota starlet cluster, its the only thing bright enough to light that area and not take a nuclear power station to run it.. (I have 30mA to play with most lights take 2-300mA to run)

I will put up images of it once they get it done. for those thinking cheap ebay dials - nup! these are good enough to be OEM.

Christmas for me!!!

I have:

new heated mirror glass

window moldings - set (flat ones that sit on top of the door.)

heated mirror swtich

new sun visors

all of the outside engine bay stickers

tyre placard sticker

new rear grab handle

I will do images in a bit.