SAU Community

Bumper Scratch/scrape Repair

mjay

Hey guys,

seeing as how I can't seem to find a bumper I want to replace mine I've decided to get the scrapes repaired. Have no idea how i got these either, but yeh ,can anyone recommend someone/somewhere suitable to replace the damage below:

scratch 1:

post-11043-1286671836_thumb.jpg post-11043-1286671908_thumb.jpg post-11043-1286671947_thumb.jpg

scratch 2:

post-11043-1286672000_thumb.jpgpost-11043-1286672145_thumb.jpg

cheers, ;)

pictures are a little close for me to tell how bad they are but id say the 1st you can buf out with a good clay and a substance like QUIXX SCRATCH REMOVER or if not to deep use Meguiar's ScratchX.

for scratch 2 you could use touch up paint from a car shop i think repco has little tubes of touch up paint like a nail polish tube for small scratches, since its down under the bumper you can use the brush from these to touch up the scratch and then once dried use a polish to buff it out and smooth it

from what i can see your paint is gloss black so a gloss black would work just dont use 2 much cus then it will seem obvious

your other option for both would be a car repair shop witch wil charge you about $600 for a full respray but take note the more you do this the more chips will look more obvious as once resanded and resprayed the new paint will chip easier, ask any panel beater and they will confirm

gibbo, try carmate.com.au for aftermarket

u may need a local shop to work on getting it to fit perfectly as i heard their kits arn't 100% flush fitment.

otherwise the yahoo japan auctions have plenty of parts

• 2 weeks later...
your other option for both would be a car repair shop witch wil charge you about $600 for a full respray but take note the more you do this the more chips will look more obvious as once resanded and resprayed the new paint will chip easier, ask any panel beater and they will confirm

this is your best option. If they do it properly, it shouldnt chip easier.. They will need to use a fine sand paper to take the gloss off the whole bumper. Then patch the damaged parts with a tiny bit of bog or putty if necessary. Sand over the bog. Prime over the bog. Sand over the prime and then repaint the whole thing.

It shouldnt chip off easier if you pay $600 for it... Id be pissed if it did for that much.. Put it this way materials cost about $100 if that.. and its about 1 day labour.

used the quixx scratch repair....it didnt even take the lightest scratch off, completely useless

if the scratch is not to deep eg not reached the primer you can fix it using products like Quixx if its deep then you need a touch up paint pen

make sure you follow the instructions provided properly and you may even need to repeat the process a few times

found these instructions on their site :

Preparation:

Wash area to be applied to remove dirt and grease. Read instructions carefully. Test product on small concealed area first.

A. For MINOR scratches (e.g. car wash):

Apply QUIXX Finish (No. 2) to the scratched area. Polish it with a clean cotton cloth in a circular motion applying some pressure to a mirror finish.

B. For normal scratches:

Step 1: Apply QUIXX Repair Polish (No. 1) to the scratched area and polish it for about 1-2 minutes with a clean cotton cloth in a circular motion applying pressure. Remove residues with a damp cloth.

Step 2: Polish the worked areas and any matt patches with QUIXX Finish (No. 2) to a mirror finish.

C. For deep scratches (e.g. scrapes):

First wet-sand the scratched area gently with little pressure for about 10 sec. by using the enclosed special sandpaper (grain 3000) with water. CAUTION: Do not remove all paint or clear coat! Do not expose primer! Follow steps 1 and 2.

D. For extremely deep scratches (exposed primer) and stone impacts:

In this case, first use a suitable color corrective paint (touch-up paint pen)

and let it dry for about 1 week. Follow the steps in C).

WARNING: Use according to instructions! Not suitable for extremely deep scratches exposing primer. If primer is exposed, first use a suitable colour corrective paint

it all depents how deep your scratch is but

let me know how it goes btw where did you get yours from?

got it from ebay...

gave it a go... honestly i think MAYBE it helped a little bit for the big scratches but i suppose it was never gonna do much on them... the little scratch it did jack all... probably wouldn't recommend

mjay can you link me your ebay purchase page - i think i might of gotten the from the same seller ,im suspecting i got a duped one maybe fake or lesser quality if you and i got from same seller.

on another note has anyone used scrach x 2.0 from meguairs? if so thoughts and exp with it??

Edited by ezy03

mjay can you link me your ebay purchase page - i think i might of gotten the from the same seller ,im suspecting i got a duped one maybe fake or lesser quality if you and i got from same seller.

on another note has anyone used scrach x 2.0 from meguairs? if so thoughts and exp with it??

boought it off ebay seller "High_Series"

i dont think mine was fake... honestly i jus think that the product is not really effective on scratches beyond the lightest scratch... i'm getting my car detailed by dr detail this week though so i didn't put too much effort in tryna get em out... i figure if he can't then i'll just touch up paint it

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Mjay,

Not sure if you've fixed your car scratches. Sometimes it's worth getting the experts to do the job for you. I had great results with a local Sydney Northern Beaches mobile repairer. If you live in the local area you might want to try http://www.sydneymobilepaintrepair.com.au Certainly wont try the quixx scratch repair as you said it was useless.