SAU Community

How Many Kms In Your Car?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you also have to consider there taxes on owning a car with a certain amount of kms or the year of it. i read it somewhere along the lines awhile ago hence the owners in japan rarely drive there cars. besides their country is small.

kms winding back is very common also but if you buy a 03-10 car i dont think you'll have to worry as much. its a roll of the dice i guess.

Just ticked over 60,000km's on our trip up to Bundaberg (from Brisbane) over the weekend. Very nice car to drive on long trips and fairly economical too. Driving up there (mostly highway) and around a bit = a tad under 400km's to the top half of the tank.

I dont see the need for them to wind back the kms,

from what i read and hear from peoples first hand experiences:

(1)Japanese drive their cars just as much as us, none of this they only drive between 5-7,000kms a year crap

(2)They are probably the most anal people regarding cars, take pride etc making sure its always at its best

(3)Servicing is done all the time on time etc etc

Thats gives me confidence alone in buying their cars, naturally there are exceptions and variations but yea my 2 cents.

Edited by TUFF_350

So that means you cannot have the real kms on imports? :D:down:

Well my 03 V35's odo for some strange reasons hasn't been wound back. Got 70ks when I bought it in May. I know its genuine because I have the import papers and there's a section on it where the kms are recorded when the car's registration is renewed in Japan.

2003 - 0 km

2005 - ~20000 km

2007 - ~50000 km

2010 - ~70000 km (when I bought it)

So the kms looked alright. So not all imports have tamperred odo. :P

I dont see the need for them to wind back the kms,

from what i read and hear from peoples first hand experiences:

(1)Japanese drive their cars just as much as us, none of this they only drive between 5-7,000kms a year crap

(2)They are probably the most anal people regarding cars, take pride etc making sure its always at its best

(3)Servicing is done all the time on time etc etc

Thats gives me confidence alone in buying their cars, naturally there are exceptions and variations but yea my 2 cents.

That is the reason why some dealers wind the meter back, so that they can sell the car at a good price.

Yea i get that part of the equation,

but youd understand just like any car enthusiast in the end its just a number. As long as the car is serviced and maintained at or above manufacturers standards,

treated with respect and driven spiritedly every now and again lol thats what really matters.

Mine came in at just under 8K km's so for a two and half year old vehicle its almost unbeleviable but i have the service history and all squares up ok. I would be dissapointed if it was wound back and from what i have been told, in order to wind back km's on a digital dash you need to remove it and replace with a new one, has anyone else heard of this before?

Yea i get that part of the equation,

but youd understand just like any car enthusiast in the end its just a number. As long as the car is serviced and maintained at or above manufacturers standards,

treated with respect and driven spiritedly every now and again lol thats what really matters.

That's right. KMs don't really matter much on imports.

Bought my 03 Coupe with 50K on the clock and just found out yesterday for sure that the KMs have been wound back....found a sticker with 61,XXX written for when the cabin filter was changed.

More obvious ways to tell if the KMs are suss are excessive wear on the seats and steering wheel for a really low mileage car.