SAU Community

Shell Unleaded E10?

Hi Guys,

so i just bought a skyline v35 from trader who advised me that i can use the

Shell Unleaded E10 fuel type.

does anybody here recommend this? the fuel cap says 'premium unleaded only'

and the shell website says 'shell Unleaded E10 has a minimum 94 octane rating'

is this ok? i don't know much about this stuff but hopefully you guys can help!

cheers!

No I would certainly not use it. I would only use 98 octane fuels.

On the shell website it also says:

If your vehicle manufacturer recommends a minimum 95 octane then Shell V-Power may be a more suitable fuel.

If they dont recommend it for cars that recommend 95 octane, I certainly wouldnt use it on cars that recommend 98 octane fuel.

Also, my experience using the old 100 octane shell fuel which also contained 10% ethanol was it got considerably worse fuel economy until you had it tuned for it.

No I would certainly not use it. I would only use 98 octane fuels.

On the shell website it also says:

If your vehicle manufacturer recommends a minimum 95 octane then Shell V-Power may be a more suitable fuel.

If they dont recommend it for cars that recommend 95 octane, I certainly wouldnt use it on cars that recommend 98 octane fuel.

Also, my experience using the old 100 octane shell fuel which also contained 10% ethanol was it got considerably worse fuel economy until you had it tuned for it.

well i'm currently using 95 octane cos its premium unleaded? i guess i'll keep to it..

E10 has up to 10% ethanol in it.

Unless your fuel system is designed to cope with it, dont use it. It chews away at rubber and plastic within the fuel systems.

As above.. not a good idea.

Unless your fuel system is designed to cope with it, dont use it. It chews away at rubber and plastic within the fuel systems.

so just to clarify 95 octane is (at a minimum) the right fuel for me? lol i think i'm willingly confusing myself..

Hmm I thought all those myths had been put to rest. How many people are running E85 (85% ethanol) on this and other forums without issues with factory fuel lines etc??

so just to clarify 95 octane is (at a minimum) the right fuel for me? lol i think i'm willingly confusing myself..

No I think 98 octane is at minimum the right fuel for you. I would never use any less. Japan has 100 octane fuel.

Thats a myth. I've run 20% Toluene, many other additives. Not a single problem.

As for the OP, Id find a service station with BP98, Shell 98, or Caltex 98. They may cost you a few dollars more, but I bet you go more kms too.

As for the OP, Id find a service station with BP98, Shell 98, or Caltex 98. They may cost you a few dollars more, but I bet you go more kms too.

For how long?

I know personally of race cars who have left ethanol fuels in their rubber fuel bladders and fuel lines for a couple of weeks between events and have chewed through standard fiel lines.

This is just my personal experience.. other people may have different experiences.

Edited by GTS4WD

well are there any adverse effects from pumping 95 octane fuel? cos i've been using that for a while now...and is it ok to mix 95 and 98..?

For how long?

I know personally of race cars who have left ethanol fuels in their rubber fuel bladders and fuel lines for a couple of weeks between events and have chewed through standard fiel lines.

This is just my personal experience.. other people may have different experiences.

dude, it's a myth. my car ran on E85 for about 18months straight, also didn't get driven for weeks at a time as well. Car still in perfect health.

if you're talking say a 1985 car or something like that, perhaps, but really any of our cars will be fine.

I noticed this and I asked the local Shell about it. They told me their E10 is only rated at 94 octane minimum. United E10 which I normally run in the daily is the same price (if not slightly cheaper) and is minimum 95 octane.

I noticed this and I asked the local Shell about it. They told me their E10 is only rated at 94 octane minimum. United E10 which I normally run in the daily is the same price (if not slightly cheaper) and is minimum 95 octane.

How do you find the E10, do you get worse fuel consumption? or is it tuned for it?