SAU Community

So I Think I Just Got Unfairly Targetted By A Cop

Trozzle

I have reason to believe that I have just been unfairly targeted by a police officer while driving home from Fyshwick.

As I exited the roundabout at rose cottage, this guy swerved violently out of the left lane (without indicating) to race up behind me like any typical wanker would do in his Holden, then proceed to sit close enough on my ass that I can no longer see his headlights in my rear view mirror. I don't accelerate any further as there's already a car in front of me, and it would be speeding. This guy then leans over to the passenger's side of his car, apparently reaching for something as he both removed his hand from the steering wheel, and focused on looking for whatever he was instead of the road - in particular the car he was no more than 2m away from - me. He then appears to be taking note of my license plate. Hmm. A few roundabouts later when he's not on my ass so much, I decide to see if he's following me by turning left. He doesn't follow me, but instead passes me while again removing his hand from the wheel and attention from the road, leans over the passenger's side to either give me the finger or point at me threateningly. It was then that I noticed he was wearing a blue collar and had shoulder patches with an insignia.

What the f**k? Umm...k so you break the law, drive VERY dangerously, then making a threatening gesture towards me because.....? Nope I got nothing. Spose I'll have to wait and see where this goes...

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No I don't think he was baiting me, I think he was up my ass to be able to read my number plate. Must have terrible eyesight too considering how close he needed to get, should probably get that checked out when he resits the road ready course and takes another driving competency test.

I don't think he was trying to bait me as such...either he reckons I've done something illegal (like when he didn't indicate) or that he's just making something up for lulz...the way he sat on my ass and at one stage clearly looking at my plate, and then when he pointed at me as though to say "gotcha"....

Either way, I didn't do anything wrong.

It's never a nice feeling Troy. Hopefully nothing comes of it.

My mate who bought my car experienced a similar thing a couple of months ago as he left Tuggerz from Bunnings. Was followed extremely closely by a Holden all the way through to the Calwell area. Just sat there, pushing him. It was after he turned off that he noticed the lights on the dash. He didn't know what he had done, all I could say to him was, "Let's face it, you aren't driving around in you Laser anymore, some cops are actually out to harass"

even if it is an off duty cop he cant do anything. Unless it was like a sergeant or someone high up on the police ladder. Unless they have their ticketing book with them they cant give u fine. He doesn't even know if u had a license, rego wont be enough in court.

True. More or less, if anything comes of it, it would be a "warning" or some kind. In which case, I forward on my complaint letter with the detail of events that I have noted down on my PC.

I see you live in Canberra. It's happened to me too, except i know that the patches weren't police patches. He could have been in any of the defence forces, a security guard on the way home from work.. anything. chin up :P

Yeah I thought that was possible too. Looked like your stereotypical airforce "jock" lol...I almost hope something DOES come of it, that incompetent fool needs a good complaint about his driving habits.

I've written down my recount of the events before I forget anything, and saved it in a text file for future use. Hopefully it's never needed.

This action is EXTREMELY WISE, as a magistrate/judge is much more likely to view a diary as credible evidence over a verbal...

...especially when neither of you had a witness

...unless you had a 'witness'

Maybe it's someone holding a grudge for something you've done in the past.... or even mistaken identity and he thought you were someone else??

Sounds a bit strange for a cop to do that...

so umm did you get the rego number for the car? AFAIK the officer has to sign to take the car so if you know the exact time this happened and the rego of the car you can find the coppa, write a letter of complaint and recount everything to his senior.

do it, take action instead of reaction.

Shell: definitely not. Unless he thinks he saw me speeding or doing something illegal once but never got my rego then finally saw me again today and just HAD to grab it, then I doubt it. It was almost as though I sped past him at 11ty billion kp/h then slowed down or something.

Shan: Nah I didn't catch HIS rego unfortunately, and I'm very sure it wasn't an unmarked car. Wrong model, it was probably around the 2000 models...plus it had 0 markings, and nothing on the dash. Not to mention the fact he had to lean into the passenger's seat to find something to take note of my rego.

I'd rather not go down to the copshop and complain about a cop I can't identify, only to possibly burn my ass in the process. My vehicle isn't exactly stock, I'm sure if I rubbed someone wrong by doing so, they'd tow right up shit creek.

Reaction will be the only thing here, as I'm almost certain they can't actually do anything other than tell me I did something wrong and that it's a warning or something. THEN I will make a complaint about old mate tuffnut.