SAU Community

4wd Conversion

Nightslug

Hi all, basicly im looking at doing a motor conversion on my gts4 early early next year - starting to prep my shit soonish

Just wondoing if anybody has down a conversion involving a rb25de 4wd motor out of r33 gts4 - and sticking it in to there r32 gts4 im wanting to scrap the rb20, and seriously looking at doing a rb25de+t

Just wondoing if its simply a bolt in conversion,

or am i going to have to look at diff ratios etc?

basicly info i need to know before me and my mechcanic get down to bizzo!

Cheers

NS.

I would imagine there would be quite a bit of wiring change going from a RB20DET to a RB25DE motor but i could be wrong. My personal recommendation is that you get a R32 GTR front cut with wiring loom, motor/box and just swap everything straight over. If your bored like me with the RB20 because it doesn't cut the cake, stick a RB26 in it. Heres a link to my engine conversion going from a RB20 to a RB26 on my R32 GTS4 4 door. It was a very easy job to do. RB26DETT Into A Gts-4 Conversion

Im running a linkG4 at the moment, I know i have to get a VCT controller wired up to the link as ill be utilizing the VCT,

more my quires are focused at is fittiment, diff ratios, mechcanical drive line and 4wd fittment.

im using uprated coil packs and have been told that i am able to runn these on the rb25de - but they would not fit if i was to use a stock rb25det motor>?.

deffinate knowledge from people who have done the conversion/Knows RB series engines inside out(what fits what between models) - would be much appriciated!

:laugh:

dun it 2 an r33, everything was a bolt on. havnt seen on an r32 but seems your gna need to replace looms and ecu obviously but not 100% how the ratios go.......ps i got a stagea rb25 if your interested :laugh:

Edited by OoskylineoO

If you follow blind elks posts, there is plenty of detail about Stagea rb25 into r32gts4. I'm doing this swap slowly. I think the rb26 is worth considering these days, the cost is lower than it used to be. Power - the point of a swap is higher. State laws may impact as well. An RB26 can put out power looking close to stock.

The other option is to sell it and buy an R32 GTR , at least then (provided its sort of original) its all designed to work as a package . I think diff ratios are taller in a GTR and they are not that easy to change - front anyway .

I kind of think a lot of money could be spent here and its never going to have the sort of resale vale a GTR would .

The cost effective approach if your car doesn't do what you want it to is to replace it with something std thats a lot closer to your liking in std form . Then mild mods if its not enough .

Sadly its almost impossible to beat factory engineering and economies of scale on price . They can build it a LOT cheaper than you can so its a case of finding something thats affordable and no too old or used up .

A .

The Stagea sump does go into the r32 GTS4. You can swap the GTS4 diff into the new egnines sump, or transplant the new engines diff ratio into the rear diff housing. They need to match!

The other option is to sell it and buy an R32 GTR , at least then (provided its sort of original) its all designed to work as a package . I think diff ratios are taller in a GTR and they are not that easy to change - front anyway .

I kind of think a lot of money could be spent here and its never going to have the sort of resale vale a GTR would .

The cost effective approach if your car doesn't do what you want it to is to replace it with something std thats a lot closer to your liking in std form . Then mild mods if its not enough .

Sadly its almost impossible to beat factory engineering and economies of scale on price . They can build it a LOT cheaper than you can so its a case of finding something thats affordable and no too old or used up .

A .

A GTS 4 project often starts 10- 15k dollars lower than a GTR. I still think GTR is the ultimate!

Ok so basicly the rb25det 4wd motor from a stagea will bolt strait in to my r32 gts4?

And the same goes for the rb25de 33gts4 motor correct?

-Yeah sorry Kiwirs4t i was meaning i just needa get the cable! im in the know about what the link can and cant do.

-sorry discopotato03 i dont have 20 to 25k to spend on a gtr, nice thort tho:)

Hmm seems the neo gts4 motor is harder to come by. ill be hunting around for abit id emagine

Ok so basicly the rb25det 4wd motor from a stagea will bolt strait in to my r32 gts4?

And the same goes for the rb25de 33gts4 motor correct?

-Yeah sorry Kiwirs4t i was meaning i just needa get the cable! im in the know about what the link can and cant do.

-sorry discopotato03 i dont have 20 to 25k to spend on a gtr, nice thort tho:)

Hmm seems the neo gts4 motor is harder to come by. ill be hunting around for abit id emagine

Both "bolt in" as will the RB26, if you can't get a neo engine, you can get a neo head.

Ok thanks for that one white, so with the diff ratios basicly i can keep using my excisting diff (center and rear) how ever the power is going to spin them up to quick so its in my best interests to upgrade to for example a stegeas center and rear diff?

There is no centre diff, there is a front and rear with a clutched transfer case to join them when required.

You need to keep matching ratios front and rear.

Stagea ratios are taller, meaning you will trade acceleration for top end (minimal, 4.3 to 4.08 isn't a huge jump). Personally I would keep the 4.3 you already have, it will help get future bigger turbos on to boost sooner.

• 1 month later...

Will a rb25de 4wd block bolt to my rb20det 4wd sump? ive been told it will, any other comments on this?

thanks

Sending your sump to performance metal craft for enlargement, baffles and pick up can help oiling issues later.

So in saying that it would be possible to bolt any 25det/25de/26dett motor in to my 4wd sump, dosent matter weather its a 4wd motor or just Rwd?

It has to be from a 4WD.. only 4WD blocks have provision for the 4WD sump.

To bolt a RWD block in to a 4WD you would need to run an adapter plate like the one used to put RB30 bottom ends in GTR's/GTS4's/etc.

And if you're going to do that, just build a 3L for it :)