SAU Community

What to look for in an R34 GTT

Hi all, I apologise for any strange posts but I'm new to skylines, have always had a thing for them and finally I've decided to hopefull purchase an R34 GTT. I wanted to know what I should be looking for, I'm looking to spend between $35k and $40k and I'm living near Melbourne.

Am I better to get as close to stock as possible or would I get better value getting one that has had a few mods already performed? I would like a boost controller, BOV, exhaust, gauges and suspension etc done at some stage. Is there other mods I should be looking for? What things should I look out for when looking at these cars? I'm going to spend a couple of months doing research before making a purchase so any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks guys!

I've just bought mine and I guess it depends on what you are looking to achive with the car. If your gonna mod it well then persoanly I'd look for one thats already done. Much cheaper trust me. I've spent 10k on my car already since I got it and If I had of bought it with these mods it would have saved at least 3-4 I reckon.

Noise was one of my biggest concerns when I was test driving. Heard things like scraping and whining in the rear end which is not a good sign. Also look for things like overspray on parts of the car and areas that look newerolder than the rest. Signs that it may have been repaired.

Persoanly I have a cooler, ECU, boost controller, frontdumpo pipe, hi-flo cat, cat-back exhaust, Bride Brix seat and rims. They were my first concern to get the most out of what I already had.

Hope that helps.

Thanks Adzmax, did you buy yours privately or from a dealer? I need to spend some time in Melb going to a few dealers and finding out what they have, I dont wanna leave getting the car too late due to all these stupid compliance law changes. Who are you insured through? I got a "dummy quote" from Just Cars for $1356/year full comprehensive with normal intake, intercooler, bov, boost controller etc etc mods which I thought was very reasonable for a 23 y/o :D

I'd appreciate any little bits of info like what dealers you found good or otherwise, I know you probably can't post that information in the open forum but a PM would be handy if you have the time :)

Thanks

Dealers I wouldn't go near and most people I speak to say the same thing. There are a couple of 34's in the for sale section you might wanna check out. You will pay FAR to much from a dealer. I imported mine.

My only worry with importing is not being able to take it for a drive first etc to see what its like, I dont like the idea of spending that much dosh only to get a car that needs work done to it, I also have a mechanic mate who would be happy to come with me and check them out.