SAU Community

Vehicle Licensing Beware

mickey

so the sister in law bought a car recently from a reputable dealer, believed it was all transferred fine...found out last week when she took it in for servicing that the car has actually been unregistered for 6 months. So she now cannot drive the car until she takes it over the pits and gets it re-registered...quite funny considering her hubby is a traffic cop.

thought oh better check my car rego...have just found out that my GTR's rego expired in October...luckily it's not a daily. So now I'm organising to pay it.

Just a heads up to everyone that now would be a good time to check your rego since they have stopped giving you the stickers so it's not easily remembered if you don't get your reminder.

check online here at DOT

address is being updated now :blink: As for SIL, it was sold registered but the paperwork for the transfer must not have gone through to DOT properly. Renewals can also get lost in the post ... I miss my rego stickers even if they do gunk up the window :P

Thanks for bringing this up, Stephen.

I was so happy I don't have to stick and un-stick the rego stickers on the wind screen anymore and can keep it clean now.

Better make sure I check my rego's regularly (For 3 cars! Damn), and also not to lose the reminder in the mails.

Yay, we can save so much money by not having to print stickers!!! Never mind that people can get into serious shit because our transport department are too incompetent to implement the new system efficiently, and to make it worse YOU have to do the chasing up whether it's calling them to organise payment or getting your car out of impound.

When I bought my daily the renewal was coming up during the next month, recieved the vehicle transfer ok, but didn't get a renewal. Only knowing when the due date for renewal was made me able to ask my friend who works at the DOT who set up an account for me to pay just before I would have had to take it over the pits.

When I bought my daily the renewal was coming up during the next month, recieved the vehicle transfer ok, but didn't get a renewal. Only knowing when the due date for renewal was made me able to ask my friend who works at the DOT who set up an account for me to pay just before I would have had to take it over the pits.

I never had renewal papers sent out with transfers , if you knew it was due why didnt you pay when paying transfer fees ?? All the times i purchased when car is due they asked me igf i like to pay the rego at same time . Also 3 months from due date to pay before trip to pits

You know it's actually really funny.

The Dept of Transport specifically states that the onus is on the registered owner to be aware of when the vehicle registration is due to expire, and by law, the Dept does not have to mail out registration renewal notices to clients.

Now as it sometimes happens, clients won't receive a renewal notice in the mail due to a screw up by either the post, postie, us, etc. However, if the customer doesn't receive one, it's still their responsibility to contact us and find out how to pay etc. Simply put, there's 2million registered vehicles in WA.....and that's a lot to always check up on.

Don't argue with me either lol, I work for them, and they are just the policies that have been set in stone for as long as I can remember.

So, what I'm really trying to say guys; Make sure you keep an eye on your rego expiry date and check it online!

Oh, and as for Nathan & Brendan; when you purchase a vehicle and transfer it into your name within 6-8weeks of the registration expiry date, the new owner (you) does not receive a normal registration renewal notice. You receive a notice called "Registration renewal where transfer fees have not been paid". Basically this is a reminder notice so the new owner is aware of the rego expiry date.

Now i really can't answer why the Dept does not send a normal rego renewal notice to the new owner of a vehicle, but they just don't.

Just letting you guys know so you don't get caught out next time.....

I bought mine from dealer so I do get rego renewal reminder papers regularly in the mails.

But I might start taking notes now of when it expires, because I never check it online. :D

Edited by Victor.T

Not really sure what the big deal is... Maybe it's because I hate paying rego that I always know when it is due. It is either every 6 months or every year, not that hard to remember when you last paid it. I certainly don't expect the government or it's departments to spoon feed me.

Not really sure what the big deal is... Maybe it's because I hate paying rego that I always know when it is due. It is either every 6 months or every year, not that hard to remember when you last paid it. I certainly don't expect the government or it's departments to spoon feed me.

Why the f**k not?? It's their job/s :(

Yes I did get that reminder notice you mentioned, but that just made me keep expecting I would get the renewal letter in the mail!! If they can send out that, it can't be that much harder to send out something I can use to actually pay it instead of chasing it up. It looks as stupid as it sounds lol

Why the f**k not?? It's their job/s ;)

Yes I did get that reminder notice you mentioned, but that just made me keep expecting I would get the renewal letter in the mail!! If they can send out that, it can't be that much harder to send out something I can use to actually pay it instead of chasing it up. It looks as stupid as it sounds lol

You know it's actually really funny.

The Dept of Transport specifically states that the onus is on the registered owner to be aware of when the vehicle registration is due to expire, and by law, the Dept does not have to mail out registration renewal notices to clients.

Now as it sometimes happens, clients won't receive a renewal notice in the mail due to a screw up by either the post, postie, us, etc. However, if the customer doesn't receive one, it's still their responsibility to contact us and find out how to pay etc. Simply put, there's 2million registered vehicles in WA.....and that's a lot to always check up on.

Don't argue with me either lol, I work for them, and they are just the policies that have been set in stone for as long as I can remember.

So, what I'm really trying to say guys; Make sure you keep an eye on your rego expiry date and check it online!

was the car transfered over ok ? Did you pay the stamp duty ?

We find around 15% of the cars don't transfer properly , they stay in the dealerships name , they transfer but become unregistered even with the stamp duty paid , they get transfered with the wrong details (rego, engine, chassis number) , they get transfered into random 3rd parties . its really a bit of mess

we now recommend people take a copy of all the paperwork and if anything is wrong go down in person and have them sort it out on the spot . If you haven't received new rego papers within 30 days go down and see them and make them fix it then and there.

yeah we're not all that well organised ... :dry:

sister in law has taken the matter up with DOT, they will most likely refund the fee for taking the car over the pits as they say a computer error caused notices not to be issued during that period.

I should note that although it is not up to DOT to ensure the rego is up to date they ARE required to advise you that the plates will be unregistered and will be required to be returned to DOT after 3 months unreg'd. If you do not receive the notice to hand in your plates (and the address for notification is correct) then you should make DOT pay the costs of re-licensing your car.