SAU Community

Please Help, Buying A R32 Gtr

R32GTRMAN

Hi All,

I am finally ready to buy my dream car, the R32 GTR. I have been investigating the RB26 and have found quite a bit of negative feedback regarding oil pumps and big end bearings. It is making me second think purchasing this beautiful car.

I was hoping to get some advice from GTR owners in regards to the extent of this issue, buying a quality R32 GTR and steps to preventing engine failures occurring , long term.

I'm new to this forum, so I apologies if this topic has already been covered and would appreciate a link.

Kind regards

I just got mine in march this year, and lovin it!

Dont jump into anything to quickly. there is a lot of junk out there! hunt around for a good quality one, even if it takes 6 months... be prepared to pay around the top end of the market of an immaculate R32. But you never know, you might be able to pick up a good deal.

I think the early models 89-90 GTRs had the oil problems, in the later ones it was improved. (93-94) Even if you do find an immaculate one, its still a minimum of 16yrs old. so things like hoses and seals start breaking down and will need to be replaced.

Just make sure you get a good import workshop to do a full inspection on the car before purchasing, dont waste your time with these RAC inspections or similar.

What exactly are you after? modified or stock?

I'm there are a lot of guys on here that would be able to give you many more tips

I found a good example, slight mods (exhaust and suspension) but otherwise stock for $15k through here.

They are old cars now, so expect to do maintenance on them. It will be hard to find a good clean example below $20k unfortunately.

Just remember that the car has had a tough life, it's a performance car so it would have been thrashed.

Your best bet is to find one that has been regularly serviced and is owned by an enthusiast (i.e. Look in the for sale section)

hay bud. I.ve been through the bull Shit of bottom end stuff and let me tell you there is a lot of people and lot of different ideas about how 2 fix them. if you want a mega Hp Gtr - track car look for something with jun or tomei oil pump. if you want a mean streeter all you need is an n1 or stock oil pump. my Gtr makes 350 hp on 15 psi with stock pump and built bottom end. no oil restrictions or returns. the only thing i would put on is a bigger sump. if you really want an r32 expect 2 buy one with a built bottom or have the cash spare 2 build it. because guarantee it has been flogged and eventually will die. i have one 4 sale if your interested . just letting you know. Gl anyway. hope that helps.

It dazzles me when all my mates just look at kilometers on a car to assume the health of the engine. A car with 70000km on it, sounds low. But think about it.... 700000km on the clock is alot of driving, days, months, years of being beaten, boosted, drifted, raced, you name it.

Skylines have a very tough life. When you get your self into one, you should be prepared for anything that can happen. My brother got him self into rotaries.... Hit his wallet pretty bad but he seems to be doing really good with them now. You gotta be prepared. 16 - 20 year old cars man, something is bound to be worn, cracked, leaking, spun.

My advice would to be find one which has recently been rebuilt or major overhaul, with receipts. Ive heard a few gtrs and gtst's with spun bearings. Not a nice sound :( Literally sounds like a nut has come loose in the motor and is getting flung around at low rpm.