SAU Community

2 Infringement Fines For 'too Dark' Windows

yesitshim

Hi all,

I as a Red P-Plater was pulled over and fined for illegal window tint and not displaying my p plates correctly as a result of the window tint.

So now im looking at 119 and 299 out of pocket, along with some demerit points, 3 to be exact for something that should have been picked up by the RWC.

Shouldnt i have been told prior to registering the vehicle in Australia that my windows were to dark?

Am i right in saying that my rear windows on my R34 Sedan are darkened factory glass along with my rear window, so getting that removed will only just kill my bank account?

Thoughts?

As long as u didnt tint the front ones lower than 35% and the rear is factory privacy glass than its stock = not illegal. You just have to prove its stock. My 350GT has rear window and back quarters as stock privacy glass and cop has not pulled me up. As for P plate being not displayed correctly they have you there...

Hi all,

I as a Red P-Plater was pulled over and fined for illegal window tint and not displaying my p plates correctly as a result of the window tint.

So now im looking at 119 and 299 out of pocket, along with some demerit points, 3 to be exact for something that should have been picked up by the RWC.

Shouldnt i have been told prior to registering the vehicle in Australia that my windows were to dark?

Am i right in saying that my rear windows on my R34 Sedan are darkened factory glass along with my rear window, so getting that removed will only just kill my bank account?

Thoughts?

As long as u didnt tint the front ones lower than 35% and the rear is factory privacy glass than its stock = not illegal. You just have to prove its stock. My 350GT has rear window and back quarters as stock privacy glass and cop has not pulled me up. As for P plate being not displayed correctly they have you there...

Since now i must ask for a review, how would i go about proving its stock?

I have no clue as to how i prove that in a letter.

In QLD no window can be less the 35% as far as i know... it is stated in the Mod hand book also... LINK PDF ( this i am sure is not 100% right as it used to only be the fronts... (eg. Limos))

pdf_modification_motor_vehicles21.pdf

If you like many others place a white and red sign behind a window you can almost not see through and get find because you can't clearly see the p plate, then you deserve to get the fine.

Dark rear tint is legal (well used to be till i read the mod book), but displaying your p plates though it so the can't be seen well that is not my friend...

Edited by 99 GTT

Just researched this in vic as I just got my windows tinted, it states in a pdf on vic roads website that no window used to see other traffic is allowed to be darker than legal, only circumstances given where it is legal is bus's where the rear side windows are not used by the driver, as for the rwc, I'm sure they should have picked it up, how long ago was it done?

When he defected you did he test it or just say it is too dark?

i understand the incorrect display of the P plate will not be overturned but i am though concerned about proving the legality of the tint.

Although i do find it fustrating that the car was in my brothers possession for 3 years before i bought it and he was pulled over for breath tests and never once questioned about the visability of his P plates.

I will have to ensure i display my P plates on the outside and retrieve my two roadworthy certificates from first registering in Aus, then handing over into my name from my brothers and see if that can get me anywhere.

Edited by yesitshim

Is there a tint company sticker on it somewhere? if not call around a few places to see if they have the tools to test it before you rip it off.

Initially i tried to get it removed, until i was told it is in fact darkened glass.

In SA, the tinting laws have provision for things like factory privacy glass - it's on plenty of cars, not just skylines - and its typically allowed to be much lower than the regular 35%.. (R34's is like 18% or something)

When I had a regency defect inspection the inspector checked the glass, saw it was factory privacy glass and let it through - surely vic inspectors aren't that retarded? I know my car has a sticker on it somewhere about 'UV glass' or something... maybe that helps?

Either way, what state are your front windows in - 35% or lighter?

You're not going to get out of not displaying your P's properly - it's your responsibility to ensure they're visible, however if you got fined for the *tint* specifically, then you should be able to get out of that (assuming your fronts are legal).

as someone said above, a RWC isn't a check of the cars legality. at least in QLD it is no longer actually called a RWC but a safety inspection, and if you are driving a car with illegal mods it isn't up to the inspector to point these out to you. he only has to check certain aspects of the vehicle and pass it on those grounds. if the illegal mods aren't in one of those aspects then it will pass, but you can still get fined for it.

also just because the tint/privacy glass is stock doesn't mean that it is legal either. you have to remember that the skylines (other than certain r32 GTRs) aren't an ADM car, so if a compliance workshop did a dodgy job and didn't remove the tint when they should have then that doesn't mean it is legal.

In SA, the tinting laws have provision for things like factory privacy glass - it's on plenty of cars, not just skylines - and its typically allowed to be much lower than the regular 35%.. (R34's is like 18% or something)

When I had a regency defect inspection the inspector checked the glass, saw it was factory privacy glass and let it through - surely vic inspectors aren't that retarded? I know my car has a sticker on it somewhere about 'UV glass' or something... maybe that helps?

Either way, what state are your front windows in - 35% or lighter?

You're not going to get out of not displaying your P's properly - it's your responsibility to ensure they're visible, however if you got fined for the *tint* specifically, then you should be able to get out of that (assuming your fronts are legal).

That does help, especially since it is factory privacy glass.

I do have the exact sticker and my front windows arent tinted they are just normal, yeah 119 isnt my concern, ive learnt i cant put my P plates up on the inside.

thanks.

In QLD no window can be less the 35% as far as i know... it is stated in the Mod hand book also... LINK PDF ( this i am sure is not 100% right as it used to only be the fronts... (eg. Limos))

pdf_modification_motor_vehicles21.pdf

If you like many others place a white and red sign behind a window you can almost not see through and get find because you can't clearly see the p plate, then you deserve to get the fine.

Dark rear tint is legal (well used to be till i read the mod book), but displaying your p plates though it so the can't be seen well that is not my friend...

Just researched this in vic as I just got my windows tinted, it states in a pdf on vic roads website that no window used to see other traffic is allowed to be darker than legal, only circumstances given where it is legal is bus's where the rear side windows are not used by the driver, as for the rwc, I'm sure they should have picked it up, how long ago was it done?

When he defected you did he test it or just say it is too dark?

I'm %99 sure in Vic the rear window can be as dark as %5? As it's the same circumstance as a ute having a toolbox mounted in the back that blocks the rear window...

For SA (I know you're not in SA, but maybe VIC has similar documentation?):

http://www.transport.sa.gov.au/pdfs/personal_transport/light_vehicles_pdfs/MR430_Window_Tinting.pdf

http://www.transport.sa.gov.au/pdfs/personal_transport/light_vehicles_pdfs/430_Window_Tinting_for_your_Motor_Vehicle.pdf

.. these specifically mention 'body tinting' - factory tinted privacy glass.

Another more generic link:

http://www.wfaanz.org.au/AutoAU.htm

-- which specifically states

Vehicles with factory tinted glass may have lower than 35% VLT. In these instances, each window is marked as AS3 glass.

• Like 1