SAU Community

Ford Ef/el Thermofan Into R32 Gtr

Bozz

Yes they fit if anyone's interested.

They consume 3.1 amps on low speed (series) and 14.5 amps on high speed (parallel) with an input of 13.8 volts. The shroud has about 2cm gap on the driver side (I'll pop into clark rubber to seal it) and its pretty much spot on the passenger side. It moves a shitload of air!

I'm making an Atmel microcontroller (because I want to learn something other than PIC) to control the fans based on water temp, speed, AC and whatever else I can think of. In the meantime I've just got a three relay setup for on/off and low/high speed.

post-371-0-67168100-1295429129_thumb.jpg

post-371-0-90117900-1295429138_thumb.jpg

post-371-0-33616400-1295429144_thumb.jpg

post-371-0-42229600-1295429153_thumb.jpg

post-371-0-54450000-1295429159_thumb.jpg

post-371-0-83394100-1295429165_thumb.jpg

post-371-0-88042300-1295429176_thumb.jpg

oo nice. Ive got a Spal thermofan controller. One of those most advanced ones on the market. I reckon build yours similar to the workings of this one.

http://www.spalusa.com/store/Main.aspx?p=itemdetail&item=FAN-PWM-V3

Click on the PDF further down the page for a better understanding of the workings.

Nice - I want to improve on it too - some extra things on my mind

- Full speed on decel with throttle closed when above 85 deg

- Off when foot is to the floor (tiny bit less electrical load)

- Off when going faster than perhaps 90km/h

- Engage low speed one second before high speed to reduce inrush current and dimming of lights etc

- Run for 2-5 mins after engine switch off to reduce heat soak (probably get a VW elec supplimentary water pump too)

Cheers

Nice - I want to improve on it too - some extra things on my mind

- Full speed on decel with throttle closed when above 85 deg

- Off when foot is to the floor (tiny bit less electrical load)

- Off when going faster than perhaps 90km/h

- Engage low speed one second before high speed to reduce inrush current and dimming of lights etc

- Run for 2-5 mins after engine switch off to reduce heat soak (probably get a VW elec supplimentary water pump too)

Cheers

sounds good. Only things I dont like with the SPAL setup is that fans keep running even when driving 80km/h. A switch off on speed signal would be good.

Other than that, it runs perfect. I got low temp indicator at 82deg, so 1 fan turns on at 50% and gradually increases in speed until it hits 90degrees. When/if 90degrees is hit, both thermofans run 100% speed until temperatures drop down to 87~. Then one fan turns off and the other keeps running until temps drop to 79.

@ 82C: 1st Thermofan turns on and runs at 50% speed

@ 83C - 89C: 1x Thermofan speed increases 51% - 99%

@ 90C: 1st Thermofan at 100% speed + 2nd Thermofan at 100% speed

@ 87C: 1st Thermofan at 50% speed + 2nd Thermofan at 0% speed

@ 79C: 1st Thermofan at 0% speed

Hope that makes sense haha

i think i've posted this on here before, but this is how nissan runs the thermos on the SSS pulsar

cooling.jpg

thanks for sharing that. Interesting to see that the fans keep running until 80km/h. I guess that must be when they cause a restriction in airflow than cooling.

i don't think it's when they cause a restriction, probably just when they they start to not be required (i know when we had a car where the clutch fan died the temp was fine on the highway), since if you look at the higher temps they keep running all the time, so they must still provide some extra airflow at higher speed.