SAU Community

Wheel offsets for Dummies ??? Help Please??

B-Man

On my new 18's i got +38 offset front and back, but the front brakes just clear the rims, like 1-2 mm, so i would go +35 offset for the fronts B-man. I had no choice as they didnt have +35 offset for my rims.

Denham. what wheel widths do you have front/rear? and what tyre sizes?

Also... if +38 offset only just clears your brakes, and you're recommending b-man to get a LOWER offset - the space between the back of the wheel spokes to the wheel hub will be LESS with the lower offset!

dont you mean he should get a higher offset, say around 40-42 (for bigger brake clearance) ?

Also... if +38 offset only just clears your brakes, and you're recommending b-man to get a LOWER offset - the space between the back of the wheel spokes to the wheel hub will be LESS with the lower offset!

dont you mean he should get a higher offset, say around 40-42 (for bigger brake clearance) ?

No mate it works the opposite way, if you want the rims to stick out more away from brakes etc you go for lower offset, cause you minus the distance so going +32 offset means the wheels will stick out further so more clearance.

Thats why GTR's use +25 or less offset cause they have flared guards so the rims need to stick out more to fill the guards.

My rims are 8.5 inch front and 9.5 inch rear.

• 3 weeks later...

With regard to a wheels clearing brake calipers, it has more to do with the shape of the wheel centre itself than offset.

Though of course a wheel with negative offset is more likely to be shaped away from the hub and brakes than one with a large positive offset.

• 2 years later...

lower offset puts the rim further out giving you more clearance from coil overs allow more -ve camber etc.

but as mentioned above doesnt change distance from brakes that is to do with the spokes and hub, some manufactures have different disk types which refers to clearance from hub i think.

• 6 years later...

so an 18 inch rim 9.5 to 10 inches wide with +15 offset should put the rims flush to the fenders if im correct then tire stretching would be needed and fender rolling to accommodate for turning and no rubbing issues?

so an 18 inch rim 9.5 to 10 inches wide with +15 offset should put the rims flush to the fenders if im correct then tire stretching would be needed and fender rolling to accommodate for turning and no rubbing issues?

Yes.

With regard to a wheels clearing brake calipers, it has more to do with the shape of the wheel centre itself than offset.

Though of course a wheel with negative offset is more likely to be shaped away from the hub and brakes than one with a large positive offset.

Unless the wheels have dish. As mentioned, it's all in the spoke design.