SAU Community

Lightened Flywheels

Checkbuzz

Radius should be 0.25-0.26m roughly as the clutch plate itself is 240mm in a standard skyline. I'm surprised you overlooked this as you clearly went to a lot of trouble with your cut and paste

Actually I pulled most of the numbers out of my arse. 200mm was an estimate because I could not remember the actually number.

The points I made still stand.

Also it isnt a cut and paste.

Edited by djr81

Then we're in agreement? If you need to replace it, go for it. They're probably cheaper than factory flywheels anyway. If you're just changing the clutch though...machine the friggen thing for $40 and spend the dollars elsewhere. Unless you're slamming between the gears, trying to save every last kilo of racecar weight, or want to sit there jerking off over your ability to lift RPM faster in neutral than everyone else...there's no point.

Actually I pulled most of the numbers out of my arse. 200mm was an estimate because I could not remember the actually number.

The points I made still stand.

Also it isnt a cut and paste.

Oh sorry, I didn't realise you took the time to go to the windows character program to type the little half (1/2) symbols. My bad

Then we're in agreement? If you need to replace it, go for it. They're probably cheaper than factory flywheels anyway. If you're just changing the clutch though...machine the friggen thing for $40 and spend the dollars elsewhere. Unless you're slamming between the gears, trying to save every last kilo of racecar weight, or want to sit there jerking off over your ability to lift RPM faster in neutral than everyone else...there's no point.

Also if you are making more than 400hp at the wheels and using a button clutch it is a good idea to have one due to the explosive nature of cast iron when extreme sudden torque is applied

Yeah probably. For a track car - do it. For a road car it is probably neither here nor there.

But then we are all guilty of spending money on our cars for little gain or just for the satisfaction of doing it properly.

Also if you are making more than 400hp at the wheels and using a button clutch it is a good idea to have one due to the explosive nature of cast iron when extreme sudden torque is applied

For 7000rpm GTR launches maybe :P

Some of the cheaper lightweight flywheels have been known to do similar things too though. Either way, I'll be sticking with my standard flywheel until I'm on a weight saving mission.

Well, this topic was becoming so cliched with the age old argument about lightened flywheels (complete with some mathematical equations thrown in) I thought I'd add another internet forum favourite pointless argument - torque vs power.

Now let's hear it from the experts.

Well, this topic was becoming so cliched with the age old argument about lightened flywheels (complete with some mathematical equations thrown in) I thought I'd add another internet forum favourite pointless argument - torque vs power.

Now let's hear it from the experts.

maximum negative camber is where its at. :action-smiley-069:

• Nope 1

I think it's a good topic...we've had a couple of different perspectives, all the information is there for readers to make up their own mind...and it got done in less than 3 pages, 10 earlier than I expected. I could torque about power all day, but in another thread maybe...

Good topic, yes, but the meat of it could have been covered in half a page. The rest of it seems to be the usual defending of one's position in the argument. Yes, I have seen it drag on for many pages too.

I guess the same goes for a lot of internet "discussions". Too many experts with their own lopsided view, refusing to give to the other side.

• 1 month later...

on my r32 i changed my stock flywheel with a nismo flywheel (6.87kg) at my last clutch change. to be honest i cant really tell the difference in the way it drives any given circumstances. its no different on hills. its no different in traffic, although still a bastard in heavy traffic because of the 5puk clutch, but no worse than it was before. i didnt even get a placebo effect in acceleration. definately not worth the money unless your going even lighter for hard track use.

to some people it might just be wank factor

Edited by jonboy

Good topic, yes, but the meat of it could have been covered in half a page. The rest of it seems to be the usual defending of one's position in the argument. Yes, I have seen it drag on for many pages too.

I guess the same goes for a lot of internet "discussions". Too many experts with their own lopsided view, refusing to give to the other side.

Yeah, that's because someone will put up an opinion, and someone else has to quote them, knock them down, before providing their own opinion. That will start an argument almost every single time. Why? Possibly their both right in their own way, possibly they've seen both setups work, possibly each of them owns the opposing setup, and think it's the ONLY way.

I've seen exploding stock flywheels, I've seen exploding lightened flywheels. I've also seen MOST stock flywheels handle any abuse, and I've also seen MOST lightened flywheels handle any abuse. So who's right here? It's about mass opinion, and mass experience. The OP didn't ask for one person's opinion, hell he probably already knows that both setups have pro's and cons. So help the guy instead of pissing on.

However, if people weren't so critical of others all the time, we wouldn't see such defensive action. It should be as simple as posting opinions, one after another, the thread would b clean with only opinion, and you could weight the results from there.

Now I'm no clutch/flywheel expert, but one thing I'm good at is picking up personas over the internet quickly. (Being solidly online, everyday, for over 15-16 years will do that to a guy) :)

Everyone just needs to relax. State your opinion as requested by the OP, and have it at that. Kdone, kgood, klul.

I could paste this shit in every 3rd thread, anywhere at all, on the internet. Trying to imagine how self centered the next set of kids we'll see online over the next 10 years will be...

Yeah, that's because someone will put up an opinion, and someone else has to quote them, knock them down, before providing their own opinion. That will start an argument almost every single time. Why? Possibly their both right in their own way, possibly they've seen both setups work, possibly each of them owns the opposing setup, and think it's the ONLY way.

I've seen exploding stock flywheels, I've seen exploding lightened flywheels. I've also seen MOST stock flywheels handle any abuse, and I've also seen MOST lightened flywheels handle any abuse. So who's right here? It's about mass opinion, and mass experience. The OP didn't ask for one person's opinion, hell he probably already knows that both setups have pro's and cons. So help the guy instead of pissing on.

However, if people weren't so critical of others all the time, we wouldn't see such defensive action. It should be as simple as posting opinions, one after another, the thread would b clean with only opinion, and you could weight the results from there.

Now I'm no clutch/flywheel expert, but one thing I'm good at is picking up personas over the internet quickly. (Being solidly online, everyday, for over 15-16 years will do that to a guy) :)

Everyone just needs to relax. State your opinion as requested by the OP, and have it at that. Kdone, kgood, klul.

I could paste this shit in every 3rd thread, anywhere at all, on the internet. Trying to imagine how self centered the next set of kids we'll see online over the next 10 years will be...

Keep it to yourself mate :P

A lightened flywheel is excellent for track but for street driving i wouldn't even bother. as others have said its a pain in the arse. initial start-up and low revs your car will start to jerk back and forth.

Will it?